Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Large unexplained gaps in SleepyHead reports
Large unexplained gaps in SleepyHead reports
I have started to get these "gaps" in my therapy. It makes no sense because I have not turned off the machine, nor have I taken off my mask or gotten up. Have anyone experienced something similar? What is the cause of these? 

I have attached some screenshot of one of the unexplained gaps. 

I do not recall anything special from that night, except that I once woke up with an alarming feeling that I did not get enough air. But the machine was on and I fell asleep again.
if you look at the zoomed in version it looks like the machine detected an obstruction and shut off? 

Any help here would be very appreciated
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large unexplained gaps in SleepyHead reports
Try turning off auto start, see if it helps
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2018, 12:14 AM)go2sleep Wrote: <snip>
if you look at the zoomed in version it looks like the machine detected an obstruction and shut off? 

Any help here would be very appreciated

Nope!  The machine keeps on chugging even if you don't.  What might have happened (occasionally does here) is you had a brief power outage.  If your machine is set to auto-start, then when the power came back on, your machine would restart.  A hint that this might have happened is your feeling of being starved of air.  However, your gap is just over 90 minutes – I would have expected you to wake much sooner.
Post Reply Post Reply
Amazing low pressures! You are using a minimum of 4.0 with 5.6 maximum and EPR at 1.0. I just can't imagine that is comfortable, although the results say your results are excellent. I think a minimum pressure of 5.0 and maximum of 7.0 with EPR 1 might reveal more information. At least the EPR would be consistent. I can't explain the data gap. Very odd.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Might check your system clock and see if it is aligned with the right time of day in your time zone?

I can imagine a fuzzy scenario where if the clock is off by a certain number of hours then the gaps represent day time and the nights split across "day" boundaries.  

So then contiguous sleep time is split across days, and the gaps are when you are awake and not using the machine.

I don't see how that would line up well with the data you provided, but assuming that your machine behaves rationally (i.e records when it is running), and trying to think about under what conditions could the data actually be correct as reported and the interpretation of what it means be skewed.  

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-03-2018, 01:17 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: Try turning off auto start, see if it helps

You would want auto on to be on so system will turn right back on if power blip happens. I think you ment make sure auto off is disabled. I’ve heard that setting can cause problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the replies. I am absolutely positively sure that they aren't power outages. Nothing else in the apartment is affected (no reset clocks etc.) plus the last outage where I live was 20 years ago and it became a thing in the local news.
I have turned off smart start and I'll see if that helps.
I have also checked the clock/date and everything is correct there too.

These gaps are really worrying Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
I would also be very curious if this was happening to me.

Here are some ideas of what I might try ... 

Set up some sort of external monitor for a couple of nights and see what happens while I was asleep.
    A phone camera (plugged in to a power source) running in time lapse mode could do it, 
    or an audio recording app left on overnight might give some hints. 

Also I would noodle over what else is observable in the data that might give more hints: 

.. Are there any discernible patterns in the data gaps, 
               same time each night, 
               same amount of elapsed time since you turned the machine on each night
               number of gaps per night, 
               time intervals between gaps, 
               are gaps the same duration, 
               similar data patterns in any metrics leading up to the gaps, 
               number of nights in between occurrences, 
               etc. ?   

.. Does the number of hours reported on the machine display match the total sleep time in the data or are the gaps not counted?  

.. When you look at the data in Sleepyhead, does the summary report look different from the detail report?  

.. Do you have an alternate software program to review the data and compare it to Sleepyhead reports? 
              Do they report the same gaps as each other?   

Maybe try a new SD card to eliminate possibility of dead spots on the media?

This is an interesting puzzle.  Hope you solve it.  And let us know the answer Smile

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
I think in this case it is the Smart Start that is turning off the machine, probably related to low pressure (5.6/4.6). When the machine restarts i appears to be at 4-cm pressure. You really should be sure Ramp is OFF in settings. The Sleepyhead setting bit for Ramp is not a reliable indicator it is actually off. I think my suggested settings of 5-7 EPR 1 Ramp Off might resolve this problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just wanted to give an update on what I did and how it went. So if anyone else has the same problem, they can learn from my solution.

I listened to the advice regarding the pressure and raised it slightly, I also turned off smart-start, after having done that for about a month, I have reviewed my sleepyhead results and the large unexplained gaps are now gone. 

Thank you all for you great advice! And I hope this can help any other user that has problem with the machine suddenly turning off during the night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR Reports Omitted Some ResMed Sleep Sessions RTolley 2 74 Yesterday, 08:58 PM
Last Post: RTolley
  Generating reports for doctor TechieHippie 5 346 02-19-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  OSCAR Reports do not appear to have O2 and Pulse Data SKPC 5 533 12-31-2023, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR Gaps (NoPressure, No Respiration) w/new AutoSense 10 - Help pls Stearman478cc 10 1,353 11-27-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Blank Areas on OSCAR Daily reports ejbpesca 13 992 10-15-2023, 11:22 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
Question O2 Insight Pro - Where/How are Sleep Reports/Data Stored? DavidEsp 9 970 04-05-2023, 02:01 PM
Last Post: DavidEsp
  Sudden, erroneous, invariant, on-screen (VAuto) reports of AHI 2SleepBetta 0 571 09-18-2022, 11:25 PM
Last Post: 2SleepBetta

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.