Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Larger reservoir for Air Sense 10 Autoset
Larger reservoir for Air Sense 10 Autoset
Hi All:

I just started therapy a month ago and it is working exceptionally well. I have not had any major issues getting used to it. I've read a lot of posts and been just lurking.Thanks

I live in Tucson -and the relative humidity here in the winter is sometimes in the NEGATIVE numbers in the winter. I like my humidity turned up to 7 which helps dramatically with my dry mouth and sinuses, but I keep running out of water toward the morning hours.

Besides having an extra full reservoir on my night stand ready to plug in or getting up to refill, are there any modifications any of you have done to increase the water supply? I don't believe Res Med makes a larger tank which is a shame.

The only thing that has worked so far is to ramp up the humidity in the bedroom with an ultrasonic humidifier which DOES help reduce the CPAP water consumption, but it's impossible when traveling to carry it along.

It sure would be nice not to have this issue.Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Larger reservoir for Air Sense 10 Autoset
Not to argue, but I think it mathematically impossible for relative humidity to be a negative number.
The dew point might be negative.

Now, about the chamber: I think you're stuck with the supplied chamber.
You might ask Homerec130 about what he does. He lives in Tucson.
Or maybe homer will post to this thread.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2016, 04:59 PM)RonKMiller Wrote: I live in Tucson -and the relative humidity here in the winter is sometimes in the NEGATIVE numbers in the winter.

Perhaps you were just exaggerating for effect and I have no sense of humour, but the pedant in me cannot resist pointing out that RH cannot be negative by definition. If it's got a negative number it isn't relative humidity. RH is defined as a percentage and the bottom is 0% and the top is 100%
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2016, 05:35 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(02-09-2016, 04:59 PM)RonKMiller Wrote: I live in Tucson -and the relative humidity here in the winter is sometimes in the NEGATIVE numbers in the winter.

Perhaps you were just exaggerating for effect and I have no sense of humour, but the pedant in me cannot resist pointing out that RH cannot be negative by definition. If it's got a negative number it isn't relative humidity. RH is defined as a percentage and the bottom is 0% and the top is 100%

Good point, I should have said dew point. Bigwink

I've given some thought to mounting an external reservoir on TOP of the existing one. It wouldn't be rocket science. Perhaps install some sort of float/valve arrangement that would allow water to drain from the upper reservoir into the existing one once it got below a preset point.

Instead of that - a simple ball valve/petcock might be the answer: Just reach over and open it.... but it still requires me to wake up. Dang... maybe I'll just have my man servant do it for me. Laugh-a-lot

Post Reply Post Reply
Since you've already been adequately schooled on relative humidity by my fellow Board advisors, I won't indulge. I understood - you live in Arizona, and it's really dry. Smile I live just west of you, and lately with the Santa Anas my water chamber has been nearly dry after 7 hours, and I only use setting 5 for humidity. On Super Bowl Sunday, I went to sleep still somewhat intoxicated from the day's fun and forgot to fill my water tank. I've never woken up with a more dried out respiratory system. UGH!

I'm afraid there is no way around this - you either have to make your bedroom more humid via a humidifier, reduce your humidity setting, or wake up in the middle of the night and add more water, which is not totally unreasonable if you're already up to go to the restroom. ResMed does not make larger humidifier chambers for this model, at least.
Post Reply Post Reply
Possum: If you live in San Diego, the city of, then even during Santa Ana winds you are in great weather.
Now, if you live inland in SD county; such as Vista, then it really gets dry. I know, I lived in Vista for a period.

RonKMiller: I know a DIY person can come up with some clever ways to fill the tank. Remember two things:
1) The water in the tank is under pressure when the blower in on.
2) Overfill can result in H2O getting back inside the blower and sensor area. Machines have been known to die from H2O injection.

And, don't do anything that will terminate your machines 2 year warranty.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2016, 07:39 PM)justMongo Wrote: Possum: If you live in San Diego, the city of, then even during Santa Ana winds you are in great weather.
Now, if you live inland in SD county; such as Vista, then it really gets dry. I know, I lived in Vista for a period.

A matter of opinion, I suppose. I live in San Diego proper, though about 5 miles from the coast, and <10% RH is common at my house during Santa Anas. It's not what I consider "great" weather, as my skin cracks and bleeds even with plenty of girly moisturizer.

It's especially disappointing this year, since it's supposed to be cool and rainy. What happened, El Nino?! Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2016, 07:59 PM)Possum Wrote:
(02-09-2016, 07:39 PM)justMongo Wrote: Possum: If you live in San Diego, the city of, then even during Santa Ana winds you are in great weather.

A matter of opinion, I suppose. I live in San Diego proper, though about 5 miles from the coast, and <10% RH is common at my house during Santa Anas. It's not what I consider "great" weather, as my skin cracks and bleeds even with plenty of girly moisturizer.

It's especially disappointing this year, since it's supposed to be cool and rainy. What happened, El Nino?! Huh

El Nino is not finished; look for rain in March.
CA had a 7 year drought that ended in spring 1978.
It rained buckets in March 1978.

Some folks I worked for leased office space in the bank buildings in La Jolla CA. That was a great place to work. Near the ocean; great places to eat; and young ladies in swimwear!
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm over in phoenix, and I'm trying to keep my humidifier between 4-5, because my nose tends to dry out. I wake up around 4 to 5 a.m. and notice that the water in the humidifier is almost gone. I refill it, and go back to bed for a couple of hours, and notice more water has evaporated in a couple of hours. My RT just tells me that because of the drier air here, it's a natural occurrence, and suggested an in room humidifier to help balance it out. Don't think I'll be doing that, though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nope - One thing that has not been mentioned - Respironics has a passive humidificator - Passover - that could be added between the S-10 humidifier and the hose to the user. It wouldn't be heated humidification, but it would add more water volume and might keep the S-10 tank from running dry, or if it does go dry, at least you are still getting some humidification.

Oh, doesn't Fisher & Paykel have an external heated humidificator that could be added in the same fashion?

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 608 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 125 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,816 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Am I crazy for complaining to this DME seller about the reservoir I ordered? sweetbobby 14 456 03-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: sweetbobby
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,354 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 359 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Are larger capacity reservoirs available? S.L. Ping Beauty 7 585 01-16-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.