Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Larrypac [Therapy Thread]
Larrypac [Therapy Thread]
I was diagnosed with high end of mild apnea.  I am new to CPAP and have an Airsense 11 on which the pressure came set to 5-20 with ramping on.  As soon as I fall asleep, the pressure ramps up to 20, and leaks around the mask and wakes me up.  I figured out how to change the settings and changed to 5-12 since 20 felt way too high.  If ramping is "off" will it start up at the higher pressure or the lower?  The screen is reading 5, so I assume the latter.  Any advise is appreciated.  Larry
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: pressure
There can men many reasons for what you wrote. To know what might work is to have data to look at. Download Oscar (totally free)from the top of the site. To get the data out of the Cpap you need a SD card any size between 2gb to 32gb. It has to be in the machine to record the night’s sleep.

In my signature the last link organizing charts also gives information on OSCAR.

also you can find out how ti get to the clinician menu and how to use Oscar on YouTube. Please take a little time to see how to use it and post charts. There will be many people here that will help. Welcome to the board.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
The first thing I need to do is to be able to sleep with the mask on and CPAP working. In two weeks, I have only gotten past just falling asleep once so there is no data to use. Every other time the ramp up has woken me up instantly. If I adjust the mask for the higher pressure, it is too tight and prevents me from sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok let me give a generic setting maybe this will help you get to sleep.

Min 8
Max 12
EPR 3
Ramp off

That should wor to get you to start
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.  With those settings, will it start at 8 and stay there without ramping up?  Also, what is eps?
Post Reply Post Reply
Min 8 is the inhale pressure. Most people need at least this high so you are getting enough air. If your mask is not leaking this is the only air you are getting on inhale. 

Max is as high as the machine will go.  Set at this So the pressure will not get high enough to give your mask leaks.

EPR is exhale pressure relief. It lowers the exhale pressure so you do not have to push air out at higher pressure.  So Min8 minus EPR3 gives you inhale at 8 and exhale at 5. By the way the lowest the machine can go is 4. With no ramp there will be very little difference (1cm of pressure) between using ramp and turning it off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ramp refers to increasing pressures before your therapy starts.

Your pressure of 8 can increase to 8 but not further.
EPR is expiratory pressure relief. It reduces the exhale pressure by the specified amount resulting in more comfortable breathing and treating a number of obstructive events.
Post Reply Post Reply
By not posting your OSCAR data the attempt is to limit the increase instead of eliminating the cause of the increase.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another thought is to wear the Cpap for a while while reading or watching tv. That will help you to adjust to the feeling of the pressure and mask before going to sleep. I had to do that for several days before being able to sleep the entire night with my Cpap- now I can’t sleep without it.
Post Reply Post Reply
So the "12" in the settings is irrelevant with ramping off?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 2 94 6 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 67 1,103 Yesterday, 12:24 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] 6bez8dF5lf - Therapy Help, 6bez8dF5lf 9 235 Yesterday, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  michaelyu15 - Therapy Help michaelyu15 18 384 Yesterday, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 71 1,375 04-18-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,844 04-18-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  MaggieL, Better than a Sweaty Zombie Meat Sack Therapy Thread MaggieL 37 1,078 04-16-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.