Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Laryngopharyngeal Reflux and higher AHI#?
Laryngopharyngeal Reflux and higher AHI#?
Well I am loving my new DreamWear Mask and I am more comfortable sleeping, but two of three nights I have used it have resulted in some of the highest AHI#'s since I started CPAP 16 days ago. My first night with the mask was actually the lowest AHI# I ever had, with a 1.9. Last night was a 7.5 with 18 CA's and 30 OA's. The night before I had a 5.2 with 19 CA's and 21 OA's. This is with no leaks reported and a range of 8-11.5.

The last couple of days I have noticed also that my Laryngopharyngeal Reflux has been acting up more than usual before bed. This makes me feel like I have a lump in my throat and I am constantly trying to clear my throat with a lot of swallowing. I am wondering if this could be why I am getting the higher numbers. My wife has also been sick and tossing and turning a lot, waking me up. Every time I wake up I have to get used to breathing with the mask on again. I am still getting used to CPAP I guess and seems like, while I don't have a problem sleeping with it, the falling asleep part takes more time than with out it. I also seem to cough more when first starting out, which could be from the LPR.

With no real software to see when my most problem times are happening, I have a DreamMachine, it is tough to know if it is a beginning of the night problem or something that happens all night long.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Laryngopharyngeal Reflux and higher AHI#?
According to your profile your pressure range is 6-11. Yet you say you have a range of 8-11.5. Can you clarify?

I wouldn't be concerned. Your numbers look good enough for a beginner. It's normal for the AHI to take some time to settle down.

You might want to see a ENT about your throat symptoms, especially if they don't subside.

Have you called Respironics to ask about software? That company has a history of usually charging big bucks for it, but they also seemed to quietly make it available for free download at least one time. It's had names like EncoreViewer or EncoreBasic. It's pretty crappy software, but it's better than nothing.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had more or less continual sinus infections for last 40+ years. Have not had since beginning PAP therapy 6 mos ago.
Have been sleeping in a reclining chair a month prior PAP therapy and even though fully reclined elevates my upper body slightly. Also reduces my strong tendency to sleep on my stomach.So two variables.
I have slept in a bed on occasion since PAP and not experienced the reflux so I believe the PAP therapy the major factor in this improvement.
With no software you might want to increase the minimum and see what happens.
Are you keeping a written log by your machine and immediately recording your impressions upon waking?
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2015, 08:05 AM)Sleepster Wrote: According to your profile your pressure range is 6-11. Yet you say you have a range of 8-11.5. Can you clarify?

Sorry, I have been trying different settings and had not updated my profile yet. I had changed the range to 8-11.5 and had the higher #'s. Last night I changed them again to 7-11 and had better AHI# of 3.5. Probably no correlation, we will see if it stays under AHI of 5 tonight, since I am leaving them the same.

As far as software, I guess I am waiting for Sleepy Head to be updated. I have had my DreamMachine less than three weeks, but don't think I want to go through the hassle of trying to get a different one that will work with current software. Maybe I should, but don't know if the DME will make a trade, don't know if that is how it works.

Again, thanks everyone for all the help, I am slowly learning how to deal with Sleep Apnea. I really think while I don't feel like a brand new man, I have been sleeping better and starting to feel a bit less tired all the time. I think my old AHI from the sleep study was 78, so below 10, and even five, like I have been, has to be better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2015, 10:18 PM)pwgphoto Wrote: As far as software, I guess I am waiting for Sleepy Head to be updated. I have had my DreamMachine less than three weeks, but don't think I want to go through the hassle of trying to get a different one that will work with current software. Maybe I should, but don't know if the DME will make a trade, don't know if that is how it works.

Never hurts to ask. Maybe they'll give you a free copy of their software.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 103 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,428 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 380 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 538 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
Sad Higher AHI after Covid Recovery - Oscar Data amfar33 3 352 01-12-2024, 12:17 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Newbie here - do I need higher pressure or BIPAP? her.suit 0 295 12-29-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 565 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.