Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Nasal IrritTion?
Nasal IrritTion?
I am having trouble with nasal irritation. I have awakened with my auto-pap blowing so hard it feels like my nasal passages are being sandpapered. But even without that, I have awakened in the morning to uncontrollable sneezing. I asked my pulmonologist and he suggested a thin layer of KY gel in each nostril and I increased the humidity but the inside of my nose stays irritated. I am a nose-breather and use a nasal mask…don’t like the pillows, etc. Anyone else had this problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal IrritTion?
Welcome to the forum.

I’ve used Lansinoh Lanolin Nipple Cream for irritation while using nasal pillow masks and occasionally with my hybrid full face mask. It can also help with the mask seal. I’m not sure how much good it will do with irritation inside the nose unless it is caused caused by contact with the nasal mask, but it may be worth a try. It will last longer than the KY gel. It doesn’t take much so apply just a dab until you learn how much to use. A dab about half the size of a pea works for me. You can find it at most big box sores and pharmacies.

Hope this helps,
Mitch
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal IrritTion?
You can try Ayr nasal gel. Lansinoh works well, too. Look for it in the baby aisle, it's sold as a salve for nursing mothers.

Try increasing the humidity some more. A heated hose is also available for your CPAP machine. That will allow you to raise the humidity even more, and will warm the air, too.

It sounds like the mucous membranes inside your nostrils are getting dried out.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 862 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,156 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal Dilators st1800e 9 1,392 06-19-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: st1800e
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 16 1,482 05-08-2023, 03:17 PM
Last Post: hopeforusall
  Nasal swelling/congestion after 3~5 hrs with CPAP, will steroid nasal spray work? ronragus 7 1,269 03-17-2022, 10:04 AM
Last Post: hegel
  Nasal Pillows vs Nasal Masks, which worked best for you? CorruptAlligator 27 5,238 11-21-2021, 09:29 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.