Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Last night really discouraged me - Need advice
Last night really discouraged me - Need advice

.pdf   Apnea History.pdf (Size: 182.78 KB / Downloads: 92)

Hello again,
Please just take a look at the numbers on the spreadsheet. It shows the average of my Apneas with a FFM then with Large nasal pillows and then with medium nasal pillows (both Swift FX).
Just as a comment - the total Apneas number does not include the RERA total on Sleepyhead so I have kept it the same here.
I believed I was winning until last night when the numbers threw the average above the Large nasal pillows numbers. It is beginning to get to me. I keep hearing of people who are achieving numbers less than 1.0 (I didn't know if it was < or > sorry)Huh. How do I get there?
I enjoy using the medium pillows and would like to keep going with them as I think I have the leaks under control. I have 100% compliance throughout the use of all masks so you are seeing everything. My average usage is over 7.25 hours.
Please give me some help here, any advice will be gratefully received.
Don
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
Thomas A. Edison

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Last night really discouraged me - Need advice
If the leaks are under control with the medium pillows, then keep using them. They are not impacting your numbers.
The number of events are controlled by your pressure range, get us some graphs. We can't evaluate the pressure range without the graphs
Should you be able to get much lower numbers, yes
It's early in the game and your already done a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that graphs are needed to determine what's going on.

I will say that your large jumps in AHI are being caused by the inordinate number of CA's that are being flagged. Sometimes those can be ignored since they often occur when you are awake. The graphs may help determine that since they could show at what time the CA's occurred. In my own case, I ignore the first and last 30 minutes of a sleep session since I know pretty well that I'm awake at those times. I normally get a few CA's during those time periods.

Your progress look good. Things will settle down even more in time.

< means is less than
> means is more than
A good way to remember those two symbols is that the small side points to the small number or if you prefer, the large side points to the large number.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2015, 11:58 AM)DonC Wrote: I believed I was winning until last night when the numbers threw the average above the Large nasal pillows numbers. It is beginning to get to me.

I take it from the other responses that you are new to CPAP. I see that your AHI is dominated by the CA index. I doubt any of this has anything to do with the choice of mask. It is normal for the CA index to be elevated like that at first, and then subside.

A look at your pressure graph might help shed some light.

I would not be discouraged. AHI is not as meaningful as you might think. There's no hard data on it. All we know is that we'd like to see it under 5 because that's the clinical threshold for diagnosis. Each event might be lasting just over the minimum of 10 seconds, and those count the same in the AHI as the really long and dangerous events that you can experience without CPAP therapy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Guys,
It is a good job that people like you are on the forum. I certainly feel a bit more like putting the mask on tonight.
I have looked at the data and there certainly are a lot of occurrences where I stopped breathing for just over the 10 second threshold but there were a few where I achieved (the wrong word) OAs in the high twenties and even a couple of low thirties.
You can certainly see bunches of the CAs at the end of the graphs so I may have been awake but there are a lot are in the middle as well. Please look at the 11th, they are really spread out.
To give you the information you suggested I have attached a few nights graphs. In fact most of the nights with the medium size nasal pillows and, of course, the best and the worst performances in that period. They have both graphs that relate to pressure so I think they are the ones you want.

[attachment=1859][attachment=1861]    

Thanks in advance,
Don

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
Thomas A. Edison

Post Reply Post Reply
your starting pressure is low at 4 cm, I needed mine above 5.5 or I felt like I did not get enough air. If the 4 does not bother you then np, if it does up it some.

I don't have enough experience to comment on your pressure, others will chime in.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don, it usually doesn't make much difference, but try turning off EPR one night and see what you get.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
I have been advised to put up some 15 minute slots showing activity, flow rate, mask pressure, leak and snore so here are two. Please take a look at them for me and tell me what you think. The first is at three o-clock and I was definitely asleep and the second is later and I might have been waking up. I don't think so but I might have been.

[attachment=1867][attachment=1868]

I do remember after the first few days the technician at the supply company did turn the EPR on because I was having trouble with the pressure so now I am more used to it I am going to turn it off again. It is a quick fix if I struggle with it again. I am trying something new so I am really happy. Thanks Sleeprider.

I know I keep asking, but I want to try other things that will reduce AHI like change the humidifier (currently 4) but I don't know if I have to go up or down. Same with the hose temperature etc.. etc... Any tips welcome. Is there a list somewhere on the forum (if not there should be).

PoolQ - You have been one who offered advice to me, so please remember that you have way more experience than I have and I would love to hear from you (not everybody is responding). So - I am trying to get that message to everybody. Nearly all of you have more time with this than I have so don't think that you may not have enough experience, talk to me. I need your help.

Thanks again,
Don

Thomas A. Edison

Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes narrowing the pressure range between min and max pressures helps. Also, since higher pressures sometime cause CAs lowering the max pressure can reduce CAs.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
My rule is: If your Ca's occur mostly while you're awake, don't miss a good chance to leave things alone for a while. For newbies, chasing CA's can be a fools errand. The same applies to the AHI index as a whole.

It's not like you're going to blindly probe around and hit the sweet spot in the early stages of therapy. It's more like you must wait until your body adjusts to the intrusion of this therapy before attempting to adjust the machine. In other words, first let your body adjust before you adjust the machine. Doing otherwise may cause you to zip right past the sweet spot without seeing it.

On the other hand, if you have CA's in great number while soundly sleeping, you should consult with your sleep doctor right away. You may very well need a different type of machine for your therapy.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 45 1,846 56 minutes ago
Last Post: Uzupan
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 306 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 182 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 874 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 145 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 809 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.