Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Last night was interesting
Last night was interesting
Last night was a split night. I slept on my back for about half the night. I got up for about 1/2 hour; then strapped back in. I slept on my side for the second half.

The first half, my pressure would rise and fall; with flow limitation and OAs. The second half, my machine stayed at min EPAP. And, I had zero events.

Conclusion: I need to stay off my back.

[Image: 16JULY2014_Back_Side_Page_2.jpg]
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Last night was interesting
(07-17-2014, 09:37 AM)justMongo Wrote: Last night was a split night. I slept on my back for about half the night. I got up for about 1/2 hour; then strapped back in. I slept on my side for the second half.

The first half, my pressure would rise and fall; with flow limitation and OAs. The second half, my machine stayed at min EPAP. And, I had zero events.

Hi Mongo,
I had similar experiences back in February - couldn't get the AHI to stay down until I started to experiment with various means to stay off my back. Now I'm averaging less than 1.0 consistently.

I tried the tennis ball-tee shirt - not enough. I got some heavy memory-foam pillows which I wedge behind me. Those helped, but not enough by themselves. Now I'm wearing a school backpack nightly, and that seems to handle the situation. I have some events, but it is rare for them to be clustered, and that was common before.

Good luck.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2014, 02:02 PM)becker44a Wrote:
(07-17-2014, 09:37 AM)justMongo Wrote: Last night was a split night. I slept on my back for about half the night. I got up for about 1/2 hour; then strapped back in. I slept on my side for the second half.

Hi Mongo,
I had similar experiences back in February - couldn't get the AHI to stay down until I started to experiment with various means to stay off my back. Now I'm averaging less than 1.0 consistently.

I tried the tennis ball-tee shirt - not enough. I got some heavy memory-foam pillows
which I wedge behind me. Those helped, but not enough by themselves. Now I'm

wearing a school backpack nightly, and that seems to handle the situation. I have
some events, but it is rare for them to be clustered, and that was common before.

Same with me. I'm using a backpack filled with uncomfy boat fenders. What's in
your back pack? I'm always looking for ideas. When I was on the road, I used my
sneakers. My back didn't like the sneakers much. Glad to hear there are others
styling at bed time.

Good luck.

[RFS, I edited your post so your comment was outside the quote brackets. - PaulaO2, Moderator]
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2014, 03:01 PM)readyforsleep Wrote: Same with me. I'm using a backpack filled with uncomfy boat fenders. What's in your back pack? I'm always looking for ideas. When I was on the road, I used my sneakers. My back didn't like the sneakers much. Glad to hear there are others styling at bed time.

Hi RFS,
I just use a random collection of larger plastic dog toys, storage containers, etc. We found some softball-sized whiffle balls, and they're light, rigid, and lumpy - work pretty well. I looked at the commercial products - the Bumper Belt, and one other (can't remember its name right now), but decided I could try these other ways for a lot less money. We found several backpacks and bags w/ straps at local thrift stores.
A.Becker
Post Reply Post Reply
Claymore mine and a pressure switch?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2014, 11:43 PM)justMongo Wrote: Claymore mine and a pressure switch?

I just want to sleep temporarily for now, not permanently!!!
A.Becker
Post Reply Post Reply
Does anyone have the opposite problem? I don't have AHI issues but I have a lot of leaks and I think staying on my back would recruit gravity to keep the mask in place. I've never really experimented with it though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, StephenR is currently wrestling with the issue of doing better on his back because of P10 leaks. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...1#pid76491 I am personally grateful that I am not restricted to only the back or the side. But many are.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2014, 02:14 PM)eviltim Wrote: Does anyone have the opposite problem? I don't have AHI issues but I have a lot of leaks and I think staying on my back would recruit gravity to keep the mask in place. I've never really experimented with it though.

Sleeping on your back also recruits gravity to help close your airway.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2014, 06:45 PM)becker44a Wrote:
(07-17-2014, 03:01 PM)readyforsleep Wrote: Same with me. I'm using a backpack filled with uncomfy boat fenders. What's in your back pack? I'm always looking for ideas. When I was on the road, I used my sneakers. My back didn't like the sneakers much. Glad to hear there are others styling at bed time.

Hi RFS,
I just use a random collection of larger plastic dog toys, storage containers, etc. We found some softball-sized whiffle balls, and they're light, rigid, and lumpy - work pretty well. I looked at the commercial products - the Bumper Belt, and one other (can't remember its name right now), but decided I could try these other ways for a lot less money. We found several backpacks and bags w/ straps at local thrift stores.

I just remembered the name of the 2nd commercial product - it is called the Zzoma Positional Sleeper, and competes with the Rematee Bumper Belt. These products are priced between $100 and $200 online. I'd be surprised it I have more than $25 in the the various backpacks, bags, and an assortment of items to stuff in them.

How's this for ludicrous - the Zzoma product requires a prescription. Now we need a physician to tell us it is ok to strap a belt around our middle???? I can't decide if this is more likely medical paternalism or greed at work. I wouldn't be surprised if the Zzoma people actively sought the prescription requirement so they could raise their prices.
A.Becker
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An interesting-ish video about mouth taping PaulaO2 0 356 01-08-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 841 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 885 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,102 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,336 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,208 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,242 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.