Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure comes out too fast.
Pressure comes out too fast.
Hi all,

I had a resmed a9 for 6 months on trial. I loved it. So I bought one. For some reason, when I inhale the pressure is so strong that I have to take it off. I'm currently awake at 1 in the morning because I couldn't sleep. I've been adjusting the settings but I can't figure out how to get it to be more in line with my breathing. It feels like as the machine realizes I'm about to inhale it ramps up and blasts me with air. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pressure comes out too fast.
(07-19-2014, 12:07 AM)wideiris Wrote: Hi all,

I had a resmed a9 for 6 months on trial. I loved it. So I bought one. For some reason, when I inhale the pressure is so strong that I have to take it off. I'm currently awake at 1 in the morning because I couldn't sleep. I've been adjusting the settings but I can't figure out how to get it to be more in line with my breathing. It feels like as the machine realizes I'm about to inhale it ramps up and blasts me with air. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi wideiris,
Welcome to the forum! There are lots of folks here that will be happy to offer help and advice.

It would help us help you if you would fill out your profile more, with the exact model of your ResMed S9 (look on top by the Power button), mask details, prescribed pressure(s), etc.

Just a guess here, but it sounds as if you aren't using the Ramp feature, and it might help you, especially if you are new to CPAP therapy.

Good Luck in your PAP journey.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
which resmed machine do you have?

there's 13 basic models in the S9 series.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2014, 12:07 AM)wideiris Wrote: I've been adjusting the settings but I can't figure out how to get it to be more in line with my breathing. It feels like as the machine realizes I'm about to inhale it ramps up and blasts me with air. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Is the machine set exactly the same as the trial machine? pressure, EPR, etc ...
We know from your other thread, the machine is "not the escape", so can assume its not Escape Auto either, that leave AutoSet and Elite, both are data capable machines

My problem was with EPR, I find the 'decreasing and increasing' pressure is annoying and interfering with my breathing rhythm so I turn it off and the problem resolved but for some, its a godsend

It might be not what,re talking about, What setting have you djusted ?
Most people talk about having problems while exhaling, turn on EPR or set at higher level seem to helps as pressure drop during exhale by whatever level been selected (by 1, 2, or 3)

Post Reply Post Reply
Firstly, thanks to everyone for responding. I really appreciate it.

I think it's a combination of the ramping and the EPR. I turned the ramp back on, turned the EPR up and managed to go back to sleep. success (for now!)

(07-19-2014, 02:53 AM)zonk Wrote:
(07-19-2014, 12:07 AM)wideiris Wrote: I've been adjusting the settings but I can't figure out how to get it to be more in line with my breathing. It feels like as the machine realizes I'm about to inhale it ramps up and blasts me with air. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Is the machine set exactly the same as the trial machine? pressure, EPR, etc ...
We know from your other thread, the machine is "not the escape", so can assume its not Escape Auto either, that leave AutoSet and Elite, both are data capable machines

My problem was with EPR, I find the 'decreasing and increasing' pressure is annoying and interfering with my breathing rhythm so I turn it off and the problem resolved but for some, its a godsend

It might be not what,re talking about, What setting have you djusted ?
Most people talk about having problems while exhaling, turn on EPR or set at higher level seem to helps as pressure drop during exhale by whatever level been selected (by 1, 2, or 3)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,434 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 901 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 630 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,532 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  It feels like the CPAP is trying to make me breathe too fast RealityShifter 9 6,126 10-30-2022, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Relief from PVCs and waking with a fast heartbeat, how long after starting CPAP? Swarfmaker 4 1,191 10-01-2020, 08:46 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,313 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.