Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Latest ChromeOS to Support Linux Apps
Latest ChromeOS to Support Linux Apps
I came across this article that announces ChromeOS will start supporting Linux Apps.  I hope this may be good news for ChromeBook users wanting to use SleepyHead.

Article Link:  https://www.techrepublic.com/article/her...8030926377

Here is the article, in case the link goes bad:

Here are the latest Chrome OS devices that will support Linux apps
By James Sanders | June 18, 2018, 6:26 AM PST

Owners of recent Chromebooks and Chromeboxes will be able to use Google's Crostini system to run Linux apps on their devices.

The ability to run Linux apps in virtual machines in Chrome is expanding beyond Google's flagship Pixelbook line of Chromebooks. The feature, for which plans were first discovered in late February, was formally announced by Google at I/O 2018. Unlike the existing solution, Crouton, support for Linux apps does not require enabling developer mode on Chrome OS, allowing users to install Linux apps without needing to sacrifice security protections.

In addition to the Pixelbook, support for the new Crostini virtual machine feature has also come to the original Samsung Chromebook Plus, the detachable HP Chromebook X2, and the ASUS Chromebook Flip C101. Likewise, according to a report from xda-developers, the feature is coming to the Acer Chromebook Spin 13 and Chromebook 13, as well as 2018-era Chromeboxes, which all share the same board ID "fizz." Of these, the Acer Chromebox CX13 series and ASUS Chromebox 3 series both have multiple SKUs, maxing out with an Intel Core i7-8550U paired with 16GB RAM and 64GB storage for $750.

Support could still come to other existing Chrome OS devices, though most older devices do not meet the hardware requirements to support the technology. According to the Chromium documentation, support will not be coming to older devices that run kernel version 3.8 or 3.10, or devices with Bay Trail processors, as the variant of Bay Trail used in Chromebooks lacks support for Intel VT-x.

As it is, there are still significant limitations in how Crostini works, as the implementation of the technology is still quite early. Presently, Crostini does not support accelerated graphics, audio output, or hardware video decoding, making certain use cases less than ideal. These features, as well as support for IMEs and peripheral support are presently being worked on by Google for future releases of Chrome OS.

Linux support on Chromebooks is not the only way that the devices have been extended. Support for running Android apps on Chrome OS has matured well over the last two years. Additionally, work has apparently been undertaken to make the Google Pixelbook capable of dual-booting Windows. While previous reports indicate changes in Chrome OS referencing "AltOS" and "go/vboot-windows," and the addition of placeholder strings for "Chrome OS" and "AltOS" being added to all languages, additional commits have been discovered that indicate work is being done to pass tests in WHCK (Windows Hardware Certification Kit) and HLK (Windows Hardware Lab Kit)— certification suites used by Microsoft to ensure that devices are sufficiently compliant to be shipped with Windows.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Latest ChromeOS to Support Linux Apps
This Linux development continues to make progress. It is still labelled as "Linux (Beta)" when enabled, but it seems to work well. Although many different Linux distributions can be used, the default is 64-bit Debian Stretch.

I have managed to get OSCAR working on a couple of x86 based Chrome devices using the Debian 64 bit package from the OSCAR download site. It appears perfectly functional, although loading CPAP data may require a more recent development, that of enabling flags to allow USB devices to be seen in Linux. I'm not sure this should be required, but as my chromebook has no full size SD Card slot (just a micro) I mount the SD Card in a USB adapter, and tell chrome to share the mount point with Linux, and then OSCAR can read the data.

The install will require a libserialport package to also be intsalled, and there are error messages concerning what I suspect are desktop icons, but I can start OSCAR from a terminal window and it all seems to work. I suspect it would be simple to modify the Debian OSCAR .deb files to install perfectly.

As was stated above, not all Chrome devices can run Linux, only most of the recent ones. Of those, some are using an ARM cpu, and as far as I know there is no pre-built ARM package for OSCAR. While these RAM devices run Linux well (and often run Android Apps better than x86 cpus), I do not know if OSCAR was written in a sufficiently portable way to allow OSCAR to be built from source on one of these systems. I would suggest that the OSCAR developers look into this with a view to at least avoid damaging the current state of source code portability within OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a solution to read out the newer versions of the Contect CMS50F under Linux? Mast04 10 807 03-25-2024, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Pierelly
  Oscar support for Lowenstein Prisma20A pls2000 1 72 03-22-2024, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR Device Support xxxxqwe 9 222 03-18-2024, 05:59 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  OSCAR v1.5.2 - Linux Versions Crimson Nape 3 125 03-17-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Software support for the Astral 150? Peashee888 10 618 02-18-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  support for AirSense 11 model 39520? roost 1 250 02-12-2024, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  BMC G2S A20/Luna II OSCAR support HarryDuBois 9 955 01-18-2024, 03:13 AM
Last Post: A KLERK

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.