Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Laugh for the day, RESMED FBI STRUCK
RE: Laugh for the day, RESMED FBI STRUCK
Speaking as an RT that works for a DME, I could care less if my patients are adjusting their own pressure. I know many that do. I advise them they should at least discuss what they are doing or planning on doing with their doctor, pa, npc, rt, whoever, as there could be potential problems associated with what they are changing.

As far as being "illegal" to adjust your own settings, that's silly. But I do understand the concern on the part of the DME. Let's say, for the sake of argument, you incorrectly adjust your own pressures and something happens. You die, your family decides to sue. The CPAP is found to be on a totally different setting that what is charted by the DME. The doctor has a get out of jail free card by saying "I sent the DME an order for original pressures" and the doctor is safe. The DME has documentation that says what the machine was set on originally. The lawyer says that the DME must have put the settings in wrong and therefore is at fault (easy to disprove that but still a hassle involved in getting sued and having to pay lawyers).

If a patient ever tells me they are making their own changes I document that so I'm covered. I would also advise holding off on making changes in the beginning of your therapy. Many of the posters here have years of experience with PAP, but a lot of information can be misunderstood, by either the new poster not knowing exactly how to describe the problem/situation they are experiencing or the well meaning experienced PAP user that gives what turns out to be bad advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
And it might have been mentioned previously in this thread, peripherally, but I don't believe there is special dispensation for a health care provider to share your personal information with "Resmed" or any other manufacturer.

If the DME divulged information about your treatment to a third party (Resmed), they likely violated HIPPA in the US and something similar in a lot of other places.....
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2014, 08:38 AM)jaycee Wrote: Let's say, for the sake of argument, you incorrectly adjust your own pressures and something happens. You die, your family decides to sue. The CPAP is found to be on a totally different setting that what is charted by the DME. The doctor has a get out of jail free card by saying "I sent the DME an order for original pressures" and the doctor is safe. The DME has documentation that says what the machine was set on originally. The lawyer says that the DME must have put the settings in wrong and therefore is at fault (easy to disprove that but still a hassle involved in getting sued and having to pay lawyers).

Yep, with today's litigiously crazy populace, I believe as a business, I would also "cover my bases" legally. People sue at the drop of a hat, especially when they think they can profit from it.

That said, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a cause of death listed as "death by improper CPAP pressure", nor have I heard of any lawsuits against a DMEs that would suggest such a thing - but heck, it could happen someday, perhaps.

Eat-popcorn
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2014, 09:45 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: That said, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a cause of death listed as "death by improper CPAP pressure", nor have I heard of any lawsuits against a DMEs that would suggest such a thing - but heck, it could happen someday, perhaps.

Eat-popcorn

Don't say that too loudly or there will be some lawyers all over it. Rolleyes

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2014, 11:33 AM)PaytonA Wrote:
(05-28-2014, 09:45 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: That said, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a cause of death listed as "death by improper CPAP pressure", nor have I heard of any lawsuits against a DMEs that would suggest such a thing - but heck, it could happen someday, perhaps.

Eat-popcorn

Don't say that too loudly or there will be some lawyers all over it. Rolleyes

Yup....... I can see the tv commercials now: "Have you been damaged or died from a cpap machine being thrown at you by your wife? Ajaz and Mycropt can help..............."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hehe - or strangled by a hose that was too long?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Got an email today from the law office of Dewey, Cheetum, and Howe advising me of a litigation regarding CPAP. Part of it said that the use of CPAP can cause wakefulness, increased energy, and a good night's rest.

Has to be spam. Too-funny

And yes, I made this up. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Well the sleep apnea curse has struck . Chang 15 1,100 05-15-2023, 07:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  needed a laugh this morning so .... Mark Douglas 4 2,740 04-19-2015, 02:03 AM
Last Post: DariaVader

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.