GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Air Fit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i heated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 12.2 - 16.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Sex: Female

Lawnmower advice........
This is the second summer my husband has used his Toro push lawnmower and this thing is a piece of junk! First the air filter keeps falling off during mowing because they have only a plastic clip holding it shut. Then yesterday the choke level fell off and apparently there is no way of fixing it. The dealership told him to go home and use a piece of duct tape to fix the air filter clip problem. We are not going back to that dealership for our next mower.

What I would like is for a recommendation for a push mower and the problems, if any, you may have had with it. To be fair we do mow a lot of lawn, just over an acre, but we use both the riding mower and the push mower. Rider does the majority of lawn mowing while the push mower does the trimming. My husband is deeply disappointed with the Toro mower because he paid good money and it didn't even last 2 years. He might as well have bought one from Wal Mart!!

He is thinking of taking the lawnmower back to the local dealership and parking it on their showroom floor and telling them he doesn't want junk!
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2016 12:29 PM by GrammaBear.)
08-28-2016 10:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
SaldusMiegas Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: P-10, F&P Simplus
Humidifier: integrated
CPAP Pressure: Rx:14, Set:Auto 8.0-15.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Woot! P-10 pillows plus Ruby chinstrap for side-sleeping mouth breathers

Sex: Male

RE: Lawnmower advice........
GrammaBear,

I bought this one earlier this summer from Sears ...

[oops... commercial link removed]

Craftsman 6.25 Engine Torque Rear Wheel Drive Mower
Description Item # 07137897000P Model # 37897

The Craftsman 21 in. 150cc rear wheel drive mower
  • 150cc Briggs& Stratton® Gold Series 6.25 Gross Torque ft/lbs engine offers powerful output
  • Smooth Start Plus
  • Single Trigger Variable – squeeze lever adjustments to control variable speed output
  • 2 lever, 6 position height adjustment
  • Dustblocker™ bag
  • 3-position handle height options for your comfort

(near as I can tell, this Sears Craftsman brand mower is made by MTD)

We have a fairly small yard but it is hilly with bumps from mature tree roots and a bit rocky.

My requirements: I was looking for a decent mower at a low-end price (~$300 or less) with the following features: small rear wheels, self propelled, rear drive, bagger.

Impressions: Used it about three times so far, so I can't tell you about years of use. But I love the mower so far.

pro: This mower is very light weight and easy to handle with or without the self propel drive engaged. The small wheel rear drive handles the hilly parts with ease. Variable speed goes from creeping along to fast walk with a squeeze of the drive lever. Rear bagger is easy to remove and replace. Easy to clean after mowing.

con: lacks a hose port to rinse the underside that some higher cost models have. I simply turn the mower on its side and spray it out with a garden hose, so I don't really miss it. Also, will mulch or rear bag but there is no side discharge option. Not an issue for me.

hth,

Saldus Miegas
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2016 01:10 PM by SaldusMiegas.)
08-28-2016 12:09 PM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

Other Comments: Type 1 diabetes - using Tandem T-slim insulin pump, Dexcom G4 CGM

Thank you for your post Saldus Miegas. I will show it to my husband as he is really upset that his present mower has fallen apart so quickly. He takes really good care of his lawn equipment. He was born and raise on a dairy farm and learned early on the value of taking good care of equipment.
08-28-2016 12:28 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
FrankNichols Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed F10 and/or P10
Humidifier: Builtin
CPAP Pressure: 17-19
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: I've figured out how to get my AHI down to 5, I quit sleeping!

I purchased this one a couple years ago (assuming you mean walk behind powered) and I am completely happy with it. It starts with about 1/2 pull and the pull is light and easy. It powers through the tall weeds on my road easement without loading down. I mow about 1/4 mile of easement/shoulder on the road beside my property about once a week during the growing season. I have it serviced locally each year at the start of the season for about $25 and have had no problems with it.

Troy-Bilt-TB200-150-cc-21-in-Self-Propelled-Front-Wheel-Drive-Residential-Gas-Lawn-Mower-with-Mulching-Capability

Frank

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2016 02:00 PM by FrankNichols.)
08-28-2016 12:30 PM
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

Before this thread gets out of hand, please remember rule #5.

Quote:5. Links to commercial websites are not allowed in forum posts, member signatures or user profiles. This includes redirects, scam sites, blind links, and informational sites that are essentially commercial in nature. It is not acceptable to by pass this rule by posting something like: "Please visit my-online-store.com" or "Go to my-products-online-dot-com".

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
08-28-2016 12:54 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Toro isn't anything near what they used to be. They are junk now. I think the same company that makes the now junk John Deere mowers bought them.

We bought a Cub Cadet 1045 just a few years ago. My partner was using it a few days ago and the transmission quit. It will not roll, even with the transmission disengaged (there's a pin to pull in the back so it can be towed or pushed). We are rather ticked off. But what I am finding online is that the Cub Cadets sold at Box Stores (we got ours from Home Depot I think) are not as good a quality as the Cub Cadets you get from a Cub Cadet dealer. Hence the huge price difference. That ticked me off even more. Even machines with the same names on the hood.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-28-2016 05:43 PM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

(08-28-2016 05:43 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Toro isn't anything near what they used to be. They are junk now. I think the same company that makes the now junk John Deere mowers bought them.

We bought a Cub Cadet 1045 just a few years ago. My partner was using it a few days ago and the transmission quit. It will not roll, even with the transmission disengaged (there's a pin to pull in the back so it can be towed or pushed). We are rather ticked off. But what I am finding online is that the Cub Cadets sold at Box Stores (we got ours from Home Depot I think) are not as good a quality as the Cub Cadets you get from a Cub Cadet dealer. Hence the huge price difference. That ticked me off even more. Even machines with the same names on the hood.

I'm truly grateful you have explained about how your partner was using the Cub Cadet and the tranny quit. We've been looking online and were halfway attracted to the CC and thought maybe we would look up a dealership near to us. I wonder if any of the mowers are decent anymore?

Years ago my Dad had a Lawn Boy mower and that thing was a champ. Now, LB is also a piece of junk, or at least our last one was. Thanks Paula.
08-28-2016 06:10 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Ockrocket Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips Dreamstation.
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Eson.
Humidifier: Philips Dreamstation.
CPAP Pressure: 7.0

Other Comments:

There are only two small engines I would consider for lawn mowers/fire pumps/augers and the like....

Briggs & Stratton or Honda.
08-28-2016 06:32 PM
GrammaBear Offline

Advisory Members

(08-28-2016 06:32 PM)Ockrocket Wrote:  There are only two small engines I would consider for lawn mowers/fire pumps/augers and the like....

Briggs & Stratton or Honda.

Yep, and our 'problem' mower has a Kohler engine. Sad
08-28-2016 06:45 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

If you take a close look at all the riding mowers at the big boxes, other than paint and decals, they are all the same.

I have 2-cycle Lawnboy that I love. It's a push-behind. It was a model that was made prior to Toro acquiring them. I'm going to be a sick chick the day it dies.

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
08-28-2016 07:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  advice on updating Win 7 storywizard 7 194 10-13-2016 11:09 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question Flower Advice Please justMongo 6 840 08-12-2015 11:31 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Sage advice... retired_guy 6 1,014 03-18-2015 02:41 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
Question Advice on Digital TV - help! SuperSleeper 5 1,428 04-12-2013 02:00 PM
Last Post: rickz1