Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leak
Leak

Hi,

I feel the leakage is rather high. My wife norice this because of the noise. I guess it goes thorough  my mouth (having a nose mask). Any comments on the graphs?

John

Resmed S10 Autosens
Mirage fx mask
APAP 5-9
EPR 1
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leak
I should mention I suffer from side effects (headache above eyes, tearing eyes, excessively running nose (correct?) and use Dymista spray for that.
So I try to keep pressure as low as possible.
John
Post Reply Post Reply
The solution is rather simple: either you manage to keep your mouth shut or use an FFM.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2021, 02:33 AM)multicast Wrote: The solution is rather simple: either you manage to keep your mouth shut or use an FFM.

Not that simple.  I have worse leaks with a full face mask than with a nasal pillow.  Because of a larger seal in contact with my face, there are more places where leaks can happen.  I work on keeping my tongue against the roof of my mouth during the day so that it becomes natural.  This has helped at night, but I still have occasional leaks.  My husband prods me gently when he hears me mouth breathing.  Usually, that's enough to cause me to roll over and the leaking stops.
Sleepless No More
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2021, 08:58 AM)SleeplessinPgh Wrote: Not that simple.  I have worse leaks with a full face mask than with a nasal pillow.  Because of a larger seal in contact with my face, there are more places where leaks can happen. 

When was it that you tried the full face mask? If it was some time ago there are two reasons why you might want to try again. First, there are newer masks available, and anyway you have try several before you find one that fits. The second reason is that you may be better adapted to CPAP therapy now and will find a full face mask more tolerable.

Quote:I work on keeping my tongue against the roof of my mouth during the day so that it becomes natural.  This has helped at night, but I still have occasional leaks.  My husband prods me gently when he hears me mouth breathing.  Usually, that's enough to cause me to roll over and the leaking stops.

You are leaking a lot. You need to get it under control. Have you tried a chin strap?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m not seeing the same thing others have posted. In my opinion your main problem is flow limits (I THINK THAT IS THE GRAPH you have up - I only speak English)

Flow limits drive up pressures on a ResMed. If you look much of your high pressure is topped out. Of course that can cause leaks. 

I would suggest you change the min and EPR. 

MIN7
EPR3 full time

That should help with your therapy all the way around.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Your large leaks are only 3.547 % of time. It's very little. I had large leaks with P30i mask about 60 - 80 % of time. Then I bought chin strap and they decreased to 30 %. Sometimes about 20 %.
Post Reply Post Reply
To Sleepster: I tried a full face mask again last week, just to see if it felt different. I still had worse leaks with it than with my P10. Chin straps also don't work for me, as I'm able to part my lips just enough to let a thin stream of air out.

As for my leaks, they are occasional and not that bad. OSCAR shows that my time above the leak rate threshold is consistently 0.00%. It also shows my large leaks consistently at 0.00%. My AHI averages 0.4. All in all, I'm happy where I'm at.
Sleepless No More
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2021, 08:58 AM)SleeplessinPgh Wrote: My husband prods me gently when he hears me mouth breathing.

In other words your husband has a severe sleep problem -- you are waking him up! Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2021, 12:58 AM)cathyf Wrote: In other words your husband has a severe sleep problem -- you are waking him up! Grin

Yes, about twice a month.
Sleepless No More
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 8 1,494 33 minutes ago
Last Post: FriedRice
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 360 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,279 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 10 434 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 225 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 220 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 816 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.