Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleepless Partner
Sleepless Partner
I am the spouse of a bipap user. The air from the full face mask blows on me and keeps me from sleeping. Does anyone have any suggestions aside from keeping my head covered all night?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleepless Partner
Welcome Exhausted, maybe you could get a bipap and blow the air back or get your partner to turn the other way, sorry don't have much more, I sleep in a different bed and bedroom to my wife so that solves the problem for me Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Exhausted,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
What mask does your partner use? Perhaps try a different mask. Some masks blow straight ahead, others have a very diffused exhale valve that is hard to feel. Quattro Air is one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can your spouse sleep on his/her other side? If not, maybe you two could switch sides of the bed. Explain the situation and suggest your only other option is a spatula full of putty.

Post Reply Post Reply
Some folks have put a pillow between them on vertically/on edge so it blocks the wind.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could put your thumb on the mask vent when it is blowing your way and he will soon move,
or maybe not move ever again...... at least you could threaten him with this and it might save you
the cost of a new mask. Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
I had that problem with one of the masks that I had. If I slept on my right side the vent air would blow right in my wife's face and wake her up. I just stayed on my left side and she was OK.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I think your options are:

1. have him/her try a different mask that has a diffused vent (for full face mask - the Quattro Air was mentioned, there likely are others; for nasal pillow masks - the Pilairo Q or the AirFit P10)

2. in a different forum, it was mentioned that you might be able to put a cotton ball other the vent (be sure to tape the sides away from the vent itself) to diffuse the air. That is in essence what they did with the Pilairo Q - there is a small filter that goes over the vent holes).
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-26-2014, 10:06 PM)Exhausted Wrote: I am the spouse of a bipap user. The air from the full face mask blows on me and keeps me from sleeping. Does anyone have any suggestions aside from keeping my head covered all night?

If you or they sleep on the same side (right or left) most of the time, you could try changing sides of the bed that you sleep on.

My wife and I are both CPAP users, and my wife at times will roll towards me - we have a small couch-type throw pillow that I stand to block the blowing air. As I sleep on the same side all night, we can't switch sides or I would blow on her all night.

I have been known to simply cover my head with a blanket at times as well.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Partner is struggling with CPAP Couchpartner12 9 1,005 11-18-2022, 12:38 AM
Last Post: RainbowFish
  Question for my partner's father (85 year old) 26 AHI treatment? sndraco 0 555 01-28-2022, 02:30 PM
Last Post: sndraco
  Mask attachment to redirect vented air away from partner? pgw78 3 1,490 01-28-2021, 11:06 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  screaming meme.....sleepless in Yuma Keithp1960 15 1,781 06-21-2020, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
Ohmy [Equipment] Air deflector for partner protection against air stream AtomicLuft 5 2,752 02-11-2019, 11:41 PM
Last Post: CB91710
Sad New Bed Partner - Disturbed Sleep DreamBreather 14 2,354 01-24-2019, 09:54 AM
Last Post: DreamBreather
  Sleepless Night Motomom 3 1,189 09-21-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Motomom

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.