Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leak Rate -- what does it mean?
RE: Leak Rate -- what does it mean?
(11-19-2020, 11:44 AM)Parisien Wrote: Which leads me on to asking where is this air coming from -- is the machine delivering too much? And if so, what is the best way to deal with it?

The CPAP machine tries to keep the pressure constant. This means, for example, that when air is leaking out of your mouth the CPAP machine will increase the flow rate in an attempt to keep the pressure constant.

The best solution is a full face mask. You can contact your equipment provider and ask about switching masks. It's very common to have to try several masks before finding one that fits well, so they have policies that allow for mask replacements.

The other techniques mentioned in this thread, taping, tongue sucking, chin straps (available from equipment providers), and soft cervical collars can be used with a nasal mask to stop the leaking, but they are not always successful. Also, mouth-leaking tends to subside for many people as they adapt to CPAP therapy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks for that. I'm first going to try to master the tongue sucking approach, simply because it's the least intrusive. Your comment that mouth leaking tends to subside is encouraging.

In the short term, I'm still not clear about whether I should adjust the settings. Earlier in this thread, OpalRose and staceyburke kindly offered some suggestions, which I think were both for my comfort as well as for improved therapy. Unfortunately, the change seems to have provoked an increase in the leak rate from the 30's to the 40's (based on the limited evidence of three nights). From the comfort viewpoint, I luckily have always slept pretty well, both before and after the CPAP. 

I would appreciate any advice on settings. Or maybe the increase in leakage is coincidence?
Post Reply Post Reply
Add in the EPR, full-time at 2. It will reduce your flow limitations, pressure fluctuations and leaks.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2020, 12:29 PM)Parisien Wrote: Many thanks for that. I'm first going to try to master the tongue sucking approach, simply because it's the least intrusive. Your comment that mouth leaking tends to subside is encouraging.

In the short term, I'm still not clear about whether I should adjust the settings. Earlier in this thread, OpalRose and staceyburke kindly offered some suggestions, which I think were both for my comfort as well as for improved therapy. Unfortunately, the change seems to have provoked an increase in the leak rate from the 30's to the 40's (based on the limited evidence of three nights). From the comfort viewpoint, I luckily have always slept pretty well, both before and after the CPAP. 

I would appreciate any advice on settings. Or maybe the increase in leakage is coincidence?

My suggestion included adding EPR of 2. I didn't see that change in the stats. you posted.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry -- my mistake. I had set EPR to on, at level 2. What I missed was that it was set on Ramp Only, not Full Time. Hopefully this is now corrected. I'll wait a couple of days, and post new results.
Post Reply Post Reply
No problem, hope it makes a difference for you. Post a new chart after a day or two.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it reasonable to correlate leak rate spikes and falls with the number of times I wake up and have to drink water?  I am waking 2-3 times per hour and the spike and falls in leak rate roughly verify that.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
it looks like your MIN. pressure is set to 15? . You had it set to 8 last chart.  is this supposed to be that high?
Post Reply Post Reply
I know this was suggested before but a full face mask may help a lot.  I have used pillows for 10 years (different brands) but I continued to have leaks.  I had tried 3 different full face masks and could not sleep with any of them.  Last week I got a Resmed F30 and gave it a try (I had to do something after taping, 2 sided mouth piece, soft collar).  It has been working well, almost no leaks and my dry mouth is much better.  I don't know if this will work for you but I would give it a try.  as you know your leaks are bad and they are stopping you from getting the therapy you need.

EDIT I put my Leak rate charts.  The top ones are from the F30 the bottom one is with pillows.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2020, 11:30 AM)staceyburke Wrote: I know this was suggested before but a full face mask may help a lot.  I have used pillows for 10 years (different brands) but I continued to have leaks.  I had tried 3 different full face masks and could not sleep with any of them.  Last week I got a Resmed F30 and gave it a try (I had to do something after taping, 2 sided mouth piece, soft collar).  It has been working well, almost no leaks and my dry mouth is much better.  I don't know if this will work for you but I would give it a try.  as you know your leaks are bad and they are stopping you from getting the therapy you need.

EDIT I put my Leak rate charts.  The top ones are from the F30 the bottom one is with pillows.

is this with the hose attached to front of mask? i have been looking to try something other than my f20 full face mask. Right now i am trying out f30i that attaches from top . took some getting used to seeing it is that it doesnt cover the top of nose like the f20 did but i think i finally figuring it out.  i have the hose coming down from top of headboard instead of from the side like before. Works better for sure.

is this the first facemask (F30)you have tried?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 91 8 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 38 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,412 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 861 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.