Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leak Rate -- what does it mean?
RE: Leak Rate -- what does it mean?
When I first started the nasal mask I had it at 13-18 with a 30 min ramp starting at 5. Somehow it felt to me that the nasal pressure was preventing me from mouth breathing (very odd feeling btw) . After a few months I began to have red face every few days and that increased to almost every day. In my logic I decided that I needed more pressure to tell my mouth to close to avoid the weird sensation of air coming out. 

I'm ready to try all the mouth close solutions.
Post Reply Post Reply
several years before I had tried 3 different FFM.  2 had a support arm that went to the forehead and I felt claustrophobic in them.  One from dreamwear that did not have the support but the mask was very supple and went in and out with each breath - could not go to sleep with it.  So I kept my pillows for years and finally decided to try the F30, yes the hose comes out of the mask.  I have not been bothered by the hose...
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2020, 12:11 PM)staceyburke Wrote: several years before I had tried 3 different FFM.  2 had a support arm that went to the forehead and I felt claustrophobic in them.  One from dreamwear that did not have the support but the mask was very supple and went in and out with each breath - could not go to sleep with it.  So I kept my pillows for years and finally decided to try the F30, yes the hose comes out of the mask.  I have not been bothered by the hose...

Stacey, you make want to look into the newest Remed mask . It looks like an alternative to the F30 .  

O.P. you may want to try this out if you ever go the full mask route. 

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks

I love the simplicity of the nasal dreamwear but I am obviously struggling with leak. Other problems are the straps sliding up the back of my head and the fluttering of the nasal membrane itching my nose.  With FF I could never get the right settings to totally stop rainouts and if thirsty hard to drink. ( I used a camelback hung over my head. )

I will try one thing at a time

1. Lower pressure to 11 (tonight!)

2. Wear mouth guard

3. Lip tape

4. Neck Collar

5. Chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
I looked at this but it had 2 “problems “ that I saw. 1st there is no way to adjust the upward pressure of the nose pillow. (The f30 has an adjustment on the top of the headgear)  2nd the mask and head gear do not detach. The sizing is hard to figure out.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
CSP, we see you are using ramp starting from 4.0 and settings of 15-18 pressure with EPR 2. Once ramp ends, your pressure never varies from the minimum setting of 15.0, so we can reasonably conclude that you could use lower pressure. You can also reduce some residual flow limitation by increasing EPR to 3. I think you should stop using ramp, and start with a minimum pressure of 10.0 with EPR 3. Keep the maximum pressure where it is, as it doesn't hurt anything. I think eliminating ramp will help you to get a better mask fit before you fall asleep and the pressure kicks in. Several things you said suggest you should try nasal therapy rather than the full face. It would be worth a try. If you can get an Airfit P10 nasal pillows starter kit with the 3 cushion sizes, you might find this is easier to tolerate and prevent leaks. Finally, it would be helpful if you will shrink the graphs vertically and fit the flow rate in under events.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=28545]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do drink with the f30. I just move the part over my mouth up, take a drink and move it back down. No need to reajust just move the area where the mouth is. You can see where I do that with the large spike in the graph. At least 3 times a night.
Post Reply Post Reply
SB, I always wished there was a straw portal built into the FF mask so I could take a sip whenever I wanted to.   Smile  The feeling of waking up with my mouth so dry that everything is stuck together is rather unpleasant.
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought I was the only one with that problem!!
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=28620][attachment=28620][attachment=28620]Thanks Rider!

I forgot to put my chip in but here are MyAir before and after.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 231 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,407 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 113 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 849 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 88 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 139 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.