Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leak baseline
Question 
Leak baseline
My leak rate always baselines at 3.6. Is this normal for a nasal mask with leaks out the exhaust vent or should the software compensate and show a leak of zero as normal?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leak baseline
The software report whatever on the SD card, no more, no less

ResMed machines report unintentional leak (total leak minus mask vents leak rate), you'll need to tell the machine, what type of mask are you using. ResMed reckon, leak at or below 24 L/m is acceptable
Post Reply Post Reply
So I must have a tiny fixed leak somewhere. I'm not going to worry about it; just curious. The machine is set to nasal type. Thanks for the info.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2015, 09:22 PM)zonk Wrote: The software report whatever on the SD card, no more, no less

ResMed machines report unintentional leak (total leak minus mask vents leak rate), you'll need to tell the machine, what type of mask are you using. ResMed reckon, leak at or below 24 L/m is acceptable

Does the Airsense 10 Autoset allow me to define which full face mask I have? I don't see where to do so. I am presuming that there are different base leak rates for different types of full face masks. But perhaps the differences are not statistically significant.

Any thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
nope, you can't define which full face mask you are using.

i suspect you are correct, as the difference in numbers would not be that great.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some of us have differing opinions on how Resmed calculates unintentional leak. The differences effect the purpose of the mask type setting.

Your machine measures the pressure at the machine. There are different lengths and diameters of hoses and different sizes of elbows on the mask connection. If you set your machine to give you 10 cm/H2O of pressure you will always get less at your face unless the machine knows the pressure drop between it and your face. The mask type and the hose type give the machine this information.

I assure you that I can tell the difference when I switch from a nasal pillows mask to a full face mask. If I forget to change the setting when I go from nasal pillows to full face mask and forget to change the setting, my FFM will do push-ups on my face when the machine switches from EPAP to IPAP and vice versa. As tight as my headgear is, that is a significant difference.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that the difference between the pressure at the machine and the pressure delivered through the mask is the main reason why, I was always asked to bring the mask I normally use to the titration study.
I suspect that changing the mask type setting in the machine has mostly to do with how machine interprets sensor feedback - calculates unintentional / intentional leak rate, classifies events and so on.
Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
I reserve the right to change my mind. Why? Because tomorrow I may know better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 39 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,412 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 145 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 155 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 138 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 678 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.