Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

A stupid question about OSCAR
A stupid question about OSCAR
It's been awhile since I've been here, but I'm back. I just installed Oscar on Xubuntu 18.04. There were no problems installing it, but the installation created no launch menu items. I tried launching it with 'oscar' from the command line, but just got an error that there was no such program. Apparently the executable file is named something else. How in the heck do I launch it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A stupid question about Oscar
Try this in directory where the oscar executable is or give full path to command.

Code:
./oscar

Maybe your path settings tries to find oscar somewhere where it isn't.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A stupid question about Oscar
It turns out that the executable is OSCAR, not oscar. Now I'll just make a .desktop file for it in /usr/share/applications and all will be well.

I should add a tip for the developers - most Linux apps create a .desktop during the installation, i.e., it is contained in the package (.deb or .rpm or source). But don't ask me how to do that, because I've never created a package file. The .desktop file is just a short text document. Here is the one I created for myself:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Oscar
Comment=Tool for viewing *PAP data
Categories=Accessories;System;Education;
Exec=/opt/OSCAR/OSCAR
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Name[en_US]=Oscar
GenericName[en_US]=Oscar
Icon=/opt/OSCAR/OSCAR.png

It needs to be saved in /usr/share/applications or in /home/<your username>/.local/share/applications. You can edit the Categories= line to indicate which menu categories you want it to appear in.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar question - flow rate graph not showing kkjacks 7 264 03-23-2024, 11:12 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  Oscar Question paulag1955 11 1,006 11-19-2023, 01:37 AM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Quick OSCAR Question re Custom Event Flagging AndyB 3 743 06-06-2023, 08:32 AM
Last Post: AndyB
Question Question on data on OSCAR overview page redhermes 8 844 01-12-2023, 10:06 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  Integrating 02 monitor with OSCAR (question!) spetzal 14 1,249 12-12-2022, 11:43 AM
Last Post: Jeff8356
Question INSTALL QUESTION OF OSCAR UPDATE ON MAC Plmnb 2 606 12-05-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Question re: creating a report via OSCAR PaulaO2 14 1,008 10-30-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.