Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leak problem
Leak problem
Hi everyone,

New to the forum but not to CPAP. Having an issue with my full face mask. It seems to leak when I exhale in the moving part of the mask where the hose comes into the main part of the mask. When I normally exhale, the air comes out of the small holes in the top of the cushion, however, when this happens it makes a loud noise and prevents me from sleeping (or wakes me up).

Does anyone have any insight into why this happens?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leak problem
By the "moving part of the mask where the hose" connects do you mean that flap? It opens when you inhale, but closes when you exhale. (It's a one-way check valve that prevents exhaled air from entering the hose.)

It can vibrate and make noise when it's wet. The water may be left over from when you washed the mask, or it could be condensation from the humidifier.

It has happened to me once and it drove me crazy. I had to get out of bed and dry it off.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, not that although I have had that problem before. This is happening where the tubing connects and "swivels" on the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi shedlock22,

WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your question, I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Is something stuck in there? A misshaped bit of plastic?

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
No, nothing stuck in there. I actually have two masks and both of them are leaking in the same place.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine does not do this either. Perhaps there was a bad batch and you got two of them?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2016, 09:27 AM)shedlock22 Wrote: No, nothing stuck in there. I actually have two masks and both of them are leaking in the same place.

You are using the quick-release adapter, right? It's the same diameter as the hose and less than one inch long. It goes into the end of the hose and the mask attaches to it.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2016, 11:54 PM)Sleepster Wrote: By the "moving part of the mask where the hose" connects do you mean that flap? It opens when you inhale, but closes when you exhale. (It's a one-way check valve that prevents exhaled air from entering the hose.)

It can vibrate and make noise when it's wet. The water may be left over from when you washed the mask, or it could be condensation from the humidifier.

It has happened to me once and it drove me crazy. I had to get out of bed and dry it off.

Isn't the "flap" we are talking about the anti-asphyxiation valve? It closes the vent in the elbow when the machine is providing air and opens the vent when the machine is not supplying air. It does not close on exhale. It is only found on FFMs.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2016, 11:12 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Isn't the "flap" we are talking about the anti-asphyxiation valve?

I don't know. I'm not sure where that valve is so I guess this might be it.

Quote:It closes the vent in the elbow when the machine is providing air and opens the vent when the machine is not supplying air.[/quote

This valve closes when no air flows from the hose into the mask. It opens when air starts flowing. If you disconnect the mask from the hose and blow into the mask through the opening where the hose connects, this valve opens. Stop blowing and it closes. Try to suck and it stays closed and stops air from flowing into your mouth.

[quote]It does not close on exhale.

I will have to use a mirror to try and watch the valve operate when I'm wearing the mask. I just assumed it closes on exhale based on the behavior I described above. Dont-know
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 11 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,577 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 154 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 135 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.