Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leak problems. Still.
Leak problems. Still.
I was dealing with leaks with my old mask (FlexiFit431) and I recently switched to an Airfit F10. I actually went in and got "fitted" and the lady helped me select this one. But it's actually gotten worse. I've adjusted it loose, tight and everywhere in between. This is getting crazy. I can't afford to simply buy every mask on the market until I find one that works. Any suggestions? And I don't know how willing my insurance company is to keep letting me try a new one. And how do my numbers look from last night (other than the leakage, of course)? Thanks!!

[Image: 6-5-16.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leak problems. Still.
Hi Harlon,

Sorry about your trouble with leaks. Mask issues are pretty common here. It suspect you are pushing your mask aside while you are sleeping. You might try a smaller profile such as a nasal mask or even pillows to reduce the area exposed to being pushed around by your pillow, arm or hand. Just a thought.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Harlon. No, those leaks don't look good. Was it recommended that you use a full-face mask because you have a problem breathing easily through your nose?

I'm a nasal pillows (AirFit P10) user myself, so I am looking at your not-so-high treatment pressures and wondering if nasal pillows would work for you.

I imagine some full-face mask users will drop in soon to give you advice from that camp.

Good work on getting a mask fitting at the DME. I just had one of those myself last month when I switched from a nasal mask to nasal pillows. (I ended up returning my first choice. What seemed terrific during the fitting turned into awful after three nights of use.)

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies. 5 years ago (when I first got my machine) my first mask was a nasal. I slept with my mouth open (apparently, because I'd wake with a sore throat often) so she convinced me a nasal would not work for me. It's actually what I went in intending to try. She also convinced me the chin strap would be uncomfortable. Now I'm not sure which was to go.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2016, 09:39 PM)Harlon Wrote: Thanks for the replies. 5 years ago (when I first got my machine) my first mask was a nasal. I slept with my mouth open (apparently, because I'd wake with a sore throat often) so she convinced me a nasal would not work for me. It's actually what I went in intending to try. She also convinced me the chin strap would be uncomfortable. Now I'm not sure which was to go.

My sleep Doctor convinced me I wouldn't be able to use nasal pillows, also. He was right in that I do have mouth leaks. I have, however, changed over from a FFM to nasal pillows. I use a chin strap, tuck a pillow under my chin to help keep my mouth shut and have learned to use my tongue to help seal my throat from my mouth. I haven't had a large leak since I started using the pillows and they are so much more comfortable that getting used to the chin strap was well worth the effort.

Good luck in your journey,
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too have a pillows mask and fought mouth leaks. The chin strap made a big difference. However when I purchased a CPAP pillow, I was able choose various spots on pillow to lay my head that would help control leaks. They are expensive ($60-$70) but you can support your head and not put pressure on the mask. Since then I I have learned yawn without any mouth leaks.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Would that be a "silent yawn"? Smile No, seriously, I'm confused. Doesn't a yawn by definition mean air comes from your mouth? Oh-jeez

(06-06-2016, 06:51 AM)Rcgop Wrote: I too have a pillows mask and fought mouth leaks. The chin strap made a big difference. However when I purchased a CPAP pillow, I was able choose various spots on pillow to lay my head that would help control leaks. They are expensive ($60-$70) but you can support your head and not put pressure on the mask. Since then I I have learned yawn without any mouth leaks.

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, okay. Sounds like there's no way to know except by trying.

Having recently switched from a nasal mask to nasal pillows, I have jumped onto the AirFit P10 rah-rah bandwagon. There's just so much less stuff on my face.

I used the Wisp nasal mask for 4+ months. I think it's a very good nasal mask. I did have to work to avoid leaks at the bridge of the nose and to avoid springing a leak when I turned to sleep on my side. I seemed to learn to reseat the mask in my sleep after a couple of months.

With a nasal mask, you are working to avoid leaks from the mask as well as leaks from your mouth.

I've been using the P10 nasal pillows for about two weeks now. I saw one minute-long large leak period in my SleepyHead graphs where it looked like I dislodged the the pillows, but other than that, leaks from the pillows have been pretty much zero.

I was initially dismayed to see that my "lip leaking" had increased when I switched from the Wisp from the P10, but I seem to be getting used to the nasal pillows. The lip leaking has decreased steadily so that now I'm usually only seeing it happen a little around obstructive apnea events.

I have been keeping an eye on the lip leaking while trying to determine if I was going to have to get a chin strap.

I haven't used one before. They do look uncomfortable to me, but so do full-face masks.

I have wondered before if DMEs make more money on full-face masks than on less expensive masks. That may just be bias on my part because I've never used one.

Oh - link here to graph in SleepyHead showing the shapes of different types of breathing incidents like snoring and mouth leaking. The "expiratory mouth breathing" graph near the end of the chart is what I mean by "lip leaking/mouth leaking". It doesn't show up as a large leak in SleepyHead, but if it happens often enough, it can cause dry mouth. I'm not clear about how it affects therapy, but it doesn't seem like it can be good. (I keep meaning to post a question about that.)

(06-05-2016, 09:39 PM)Harlon Wrote: Thanks for the replies. 5 years ago (when I first got my machine) my first mask was a nasal. I slept with my mouth open (apparently, because I'd wake with a sore throat often) so she convinced me a nasal would not work for me. It's actually what I went in intending to try. She also convinced me the chin strap would be uncomfortable. Now I'm not sure which was to go.

Post Reply Post Reply
It is pretty amazing what you can learn to do. I too can yawn with my mask on, only breathe in during a yawn under pressure and just tuck my lower lip right back into the mask.

I side sleep and always at the edge of the pillow with the mask hanging over the edge. If it starts to leak I can adjust the mask by slightly turning my head to re-center the mask and go right back to sleep. Most times I put a hand under the edge of the pillow to help get the mask position right. Figure out how to pillow the mask when you are NOT trying to sleep. Practice and experiment during the day. Figure out what works to stop the leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Next thing you know, you'll learn to talk with the nasal pillows under pressure.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 17 1,888 2 hours ago
Last Post: clan
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 2 43 4 hours ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 2 60 10 hours ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 2 56 Yesterday, 12:27 PM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 85 Yesterday, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 144 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 611 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.