Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leak rate of Aircurve 10 VAUTO versus Phillips Bipap
Leak rate of Aircurve 10 VAUTO versus Phillips Bipap
I waited about 2 months to post this in order to have enough time to make sure it's not a one night fluke. Does anyone know if the Aircurve 10 VAUTO how's leaks that aren't actually there versus a Phillips BiPAP. I have tried what I'm about to explain with a full face mask, nasal mask and pillows. 
I lay down with the mask and adjust it and then look at the machine and forcefully move my head around, toss and turn, stuff my face into the pillow and every move you can imagine to test the seal. It's usually zero. When I take a very deep breath though the machine starts to register leaks although there aren't any actual leaks. I do this because I have leaks every night when I'm sleeping no matter what mask I use (although the leaks are the best with the full face mask) even though my self leak test shows there aren't any. 
In other words, are the leaks that it's registering throughout the night actual leaks?
I used to use a Phillips BiPAP system one before the recall and almost never ever registered any leaks. 
I truly enjoy using the nasal pillows but no matter how good the seal before falling asleep it shows around 24-42 l/min leaks. AHI never really changes as I have UARS and is almost always between 0.5 and 1.5.
To be thorough, yes I use a chin strap and mouth tape with anything other than the face masks.

Thanks for you input everyone, this is very frustrating.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leak rate of Aircurve 10 VAUTO versus Phillips Bipap
The masks have vents for the expiration breath to be released. That is an expected baseline leak level. Actual leaks above the baseline are calculated slightly differently by the different manufacturers.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2021, 07:58 PM)Mersim85 Wrote: I waited about 2 months to post this in order to have enough time to make sure it's not a one night fluke. Does anyone know if the Aircurve 10 VAUTO how's leaks that aren't actually there versus a Phillips BiPAP. I have tried what I'm about to explain with a full face mask, nasal mask and pillows. 
I lay down with the mask and adjust it and then look at the machine and forcefully move my head around, toss and turn, stuff my face into the pillow and every move you can imagine to test the seal. It's usually zero. When I take a very deep breath though the machine starts to register leaks although there aren't any actual leaks. I do this because I have leaks every night when I'm sleeping no matter what mask I use (although the leaks are the best with the full face mask) even though my self leak test shows there aren't any. 
In other words, are the leaks that it's registering throughout the night actual leaks?
I used to use a Phillips BiPAP system one before the recall and almost never ever registered any leaks. 
I truly enjoy using the nasal pillows but no matter how good the seal before falling asleep it shows around 24-42 l/min leaks. AHI never really changes as I have UARS and is almost always between 0.5 and 1.5.
To be thorough, yes I use a chin strap and mouth tape with anything other than the face masks.

Thanks for you input everyone, this is very frustrating.

I've wondered the same thing.  When I was on a Philips, I rarely registered much in the way of leaks.  But, my new Resmed reports quite a bit more of them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Would love it if someone could chime in on this. The one response didn't really answer any of my questions.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's my understanding that Philips machines report the total of mask venting plus unintentional leak. I'm not sure if OSCAR always subtracts off the assumed mask venting for Philips machines, but it reports both values in the leaks graph (I think).

The Resmed machines subtract off the assumed mask vent flow, and report only the unintentional leakage.

It's unclear to me which software reports zero leaks for a Philips machine. Of course, I really only have experience withm y own ResMed Autoset.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 101 Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 40 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 314 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,414 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 118 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 862 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.