Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leak rate question
Leak rate question
I have a S9 Autoset machine with the humidifier. Recently I have a cold and I have a question. Does having a cold affect the 'leak rate' of a machine? I use the Airfit P10 nasal pillow. I have only two pillows, which I alternate nightly. The pillows themselves are probably 6-8 weeks old. Or is it the pillows that are becoming old that makes the leak rate higher? One night the leak rate was 9, last night leak rate was 23, another night leak rate was 30.

In regard to the pillows, how do you know when it is time to replace them?

Thanks for any comments.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leak rate question
Hi GrammaBear,
You might try a sinus wrince, such as Neomed; it comes in a bottle from what I have read here on the board. The wrinces help you to clear your head before you llye down to sleep.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
Hope you feel better, soon.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I remember looking at the leak rate chart on the ResMed site for my nasal mask and the leak rate changed according to the pressure. So I guess in answer to your question if it is an autoset, then the higher the pressure the more it is designed to leak at the exhaust port. If your sinuses are plugged up, I would think it would use a higher pressure to get through that, but I could be wrong.
Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2014, 10:55 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: I have a S9 Autoset machine with the humidifier. Recently I have a cold and I have a question. Does having a cold affect the 'leak rate' of a machine? I use the Airfit P10 nasal pillow. I have only two pillows, which I alternate nightly. The pillows themselves are probably 6-8 weeks old. Or is it the pillows that are becoming old that makes the leak rate higher? One night the leak rate was 9, last night leak rate was 23, another night leak rate was 30.

In regard to the pillows, how do you know when it is time to replace them?

Thanks for any comments.

Depending on how stuffed up you are, the cold could cause you to mouth-breathe, which is a 'leak' in itself.

Personally, I have found that raising my humidity to just under rain-out helps to un-stuff me so I can breathe. Others may like the reverse.

I have always had a FFM as a backup for really bad nights that I felt I could not breathe through my nose.

As for replacing parts, personally I do not replace anything until it actually dies - but many others replace the 'pillows' as often as every 90 days.
HTH
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Everyone has their preference on changing out supplies. I don't want to have to try and figure out if it is time to replace them so I replace them according to the medicare guidelines.
Post Reply Post Reply
As Pete, the Tricycle King mentioned, if you have a stuffy nose you will compensate for that by breathing though your mouth. Don't worry too much about it until you get over your cold, then see where you are. If it continues to be a problem then you might consider a chinstrap, or even a different mask, such as a full face mask. But you had successes before, so I'm confident you'll get back there (under 24 leak rate) once your body decides it no longer wishes to experience a stuffy cold.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2014, 10:55 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: One night the leak rate was 9, last night leak rate was 23, another night leak rate was 30.

It's hard to say because we're looking only at average leak rates. You need software so you can see the leak rate graph. You'll be able to tell at a glance if you're spending significant amounts of time in large leak. If that's the case, and I suspect it might be, then your problem could be mouth-leaking.

Are you using a chin strap and is it tight enough? As mine wears out I have to tighten it. It should be loose enough that you can talk comfortably, but if you try chewing it should be uncomfortable.

Quote:In regard to the pillows, how do you know when it is time to replace them?

That's a tough one. Insurance regs in the US used to say every two weeks, but now seem to be saying every 3-4 weeks. In other countries the regs seem to indicate that they should last much longer.

I remember replacing a two-week-old pillow and thinking it was significantly different. But I've got two I've been alternating for three months now and they seem fine. Thinking-about
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2014, 10:55 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: One night the leak rate was 9, last night leak rate was 23, another night leak rate was 30.
Mine does vary from one night to the next too, as far as the machine concerned its not a problem as long as Mr Smiley (not Mr Frowny) shows up on the screen. If your mouth feel dry in the morning might indicate some mouth breathing, full face face is not a bad idea until you get over the cold. Get well soon

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 67 Yesterday, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 347 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 333 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 939 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,257 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 12 365 03-29-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 10 405 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.