Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leak rate super low, Low AHI ..waking up with brain fog?
Leak rate super low, Low AHI ..waking up with brain fog?
Hey see my chart below... should be feeling refreshed but feel like crud this morning... what could be going wrong?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leak rate super low, Low AHI ..waking up with brain fog?
your stats look good but your flow rate is hairbrushy (compact is better) suggesting you're working hard to breathe, and you have some very minor flow limitations which you might be sensitive to. epr is already at 3 so what I would try is raising your min to 10 (and incrementally up after a few nights if necessary/possible). the reasoning is this: epap treats obstructives, including flow limitations to some extent, and you've already maxed out the potential for epr to address flow limitations. with epr at 3 your epap in this chart is 5.82 cmw when it appears you need something more like your med pressure of 8.82. increasing min to 10 gives you epap of 7. try that and see what happens and how you feel. or, if you want to do it all at once, increasing min to 12 will get you epap of 9 (or, if you prefer epap 8.82, set min to 11.8 cmw). I can't say this will be better than your already good chart indicates but if you're still feeling tired, it's worth a try.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
Can you explain that in a bit more laymans terms for me? The forums keep telling me to raise pressure (specifically because of EPR? i dont understand this is supposed to help you breath out easier but people say it does nothing if you are at a low min preasure??). Meanwhile my sleep doctor has warned me not to keep raising preasure as I am in danger of central apneas... I am just trying to understand the advice being given here.
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR (exhale pressure relief) does 2 things. First makes it easier to exhale. Next helps with flow limits.

Your min pressure is your inhale pressure.

The min- EPR is your exhale pressure.

The LOWEST possible pressure your machine can go is 4. So let’s take what many people have their pressures set to - min 4 max 20 Epr 3.

That won’t work. Why? Because the exhale pressure is min(4) -EPR(3) would be 1. Your machine can not go that low - remember 4 is the lowest.

You need a min of 7 to have the EPR of 3. Min(7) - EPR(3) =4 (exhale pressure) which again is the lowest your pap machine can go.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
My machine can be set to 1 though? Is this min 4 thing for other machines?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your min can not be set lower than 4. Your EPR can be set at 0, 1, 2 or 3.

Remember your min is the inhale pressure. If it were 0 you would not be able to breath through the mask.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
there's no harm in trying higher min pressure. your machine's max is set to 20 cmw so it's already able to go as high as it will go. if you try raising your min it will either prove beneficial or it might result in more leaks, aerophagia or central apnea. if the results are not to your liking, simply return to your current settings. there are additional options if you do get some ca: you can reduce epr &/or set a fixed pressure. if you're not comfortable with (somewhat) methodical trial & error, there's no way to try to improve your situation. your choice, of course.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2021, 11:48 AM)staceyburke Wrote: Remember your min is the inhale pressure. If it were 0 you would not be able to breath through the mask.

The issue is that to purge the hose of exhaled air, the pressure needs to be at least 4. Without this purge you run the danger of inhaling your own exhaled air and not getting enough oxygen.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2021, 09:41 AM)tierdal Wrote: Hey see my chart below... should be feeling refreshed but feel like crud this morning... what could be going wrong?

I see two things. You have the flow limitations that have already been discussed and they need to be addressed. Your doctor is correct that, generally speaking, raising the pressure increases the chances of central apneas. But you have software to monitor that, and the willingness to do so, something that perhaps most patients don't.

The other issue is the leak rate. I know your leak statistics look good, but when you look at your leak rate graph you want to see smooth horizontal lines. See those bumps in your graph? Those are times when you're leaking enough to perhaps disturb your sleep, and you likely have no memory of these disturbances.

To address the leaks there are several things you can try, such as a chin strap or a full face mask. It may be a simpler solution such as a CPAP pillow will work. You just have to try different things and monitor your leak rate graph.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2021, 12:25 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I see two things. You have the flow limitations that have already been discussed and they need to be addressed. Your doctor is correct that, generally speaking, raising the pressure increases the chances of central apneas. But you have software to monitor that, and the willingness to do so, something that perhaps most patients don't.

The other issue is the leak rate. I know your leak statistics look good, but when you look at your leak rate graph you want to see smooth horizontal lines. See those bumps in your graph? Those are times when you're leaking enough to perhaps disturb your sleep, and you likely have no memory of these disturbances.

To address the leaks there are several things you can try, such as a chin strap or a full face mask. It may be a simpler solution such as a CPAP pillow will work. You just have to try different things and monitor your leak rate graph.

taping mouth, so no leaks there

how is it these leaks are disturbing my sleep so badly?! what do other peoples leaks look like? no leaks? Ive tried 4 masks at this point, nothing is stopping the leaks

the full face mask was the WORST of it the bunch, it was farting in my face, constnatly leaking spewing out air if i dare moved my head...just awful
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SleepHQ O2 Ring Alarm waking me up MurrayApnea 1 161 Today, 08:53 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 77 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 362 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 196 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 343 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  [Symptoms] Terrible brain fog and tiredness despite low AHI - Can you see anything in OSCAR? youthfulapnea 7 533 04-11-2024, 02:59 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,238 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.