Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leak rate
Leak rate
Just got the new Resmed Mirage Quatro full facemask. Was wondering is a 95% leak rate of 28L/min acceptable rate?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leak rate
(10-06-2014, 04:00 PM)jimvers Wrote: Just got the new Resmed Mirage Quatro full facemask. Was wondering is a 95% leak rate of 28L/min acceptable rate?
As long as Mr nice guy "happy face" (not frawny face) showing his face on the screen in the morning, the S9 consider leak is acceptable

The S9 report unintentional leak, 95th percentile leak 28 L/m mean leak was at or below 28 L/m for 95% of the night, not 28 L/m all night

For detailed information, download either/both software, SleepyHead or ResScan
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

ResScan for windows only, SleepyHead for windows and Mac
Post Reply Post Reply
It would be good to get it a little lower Jim.

But the 95% rate quoted can be a little misleading. If you look at your sleepyhead leak graph, are you usually well under that number and just occasionally it jumps up there, or is it pretty high most of the time?

It's an artform, not a science, but basically you do want to try to keep the leaks as low as possible. Resmed doesn't handle things well if it's over 24, and I'm not so sure they do all that well if it's higher than about 10 or so.

Post Reply Post Reply
What's your pressure during the periods of high leak?
I see you run an APAP between 4 and 12.
If you fit the mask at 4, then it will leak at 12.

I like the MQ FFM... my advice is to tighten it up a bit.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Look in the manual for the mask. It has a chart at the back.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply
Unlike other machines report total leak, ResMed machines subtract intentional leak from total leak and report unintentional leak (mask leak plus mouth leak). The S9 knows the intentional leak of all ResMed masks, you only need let her knows the type of the mask you're using

Post Reply Post Reply
Actually the Resmed S9 doesn't distinguish Resmed masks models from others, just a generic Pillow vs. FFM (IIRC).

24 is the number to aim for with Resmed machines (around 60 for Respironics but I forget the exact number) and realistically it's easy to be MUCH LOWER than this so why not get it lower?

As others have said, if you had almost all of your time below 24 you wouldn't be doing so bad.

I seldom see any 95% even NEAR to 24. (I did see this the week or two I used the mask the PUPPY ATE which had terrible leaks.)

Also note that if you are leaking this much, even if getting good therapy, you may well be awakened by the leaks, either the air stream or the noise.

Being awakened or even just having your sleep partially disturbed has SOME of the disadvantages of OSA even.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2014, 09:40 PM)herbm Wrote: Actually the Resmed S9 doesn't distinguish Resmed masks models from others, just a generic Pillow vs. FFM (IIRC).
Other manufacturers masks have a slightly different vents leak rates, but does not matter much difference in scheme of things

I'm not terribly fussed by the that number on the screen, at times can be way above 24 but only for a short time when looked closely

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 70 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 349 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 333 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 939 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,259 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 12 366 03-29-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 10 406 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.