Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leak vs. venting?
RE: Leak vs. venting?
(12-01-2012, 12:15 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(11-30-2012, 09:35 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Since I was out of spare parts and this hole was smaller, I just put a piece of Duct tape over it. I'll call the DME Monday to get another one.
Duct tape is good stuff!

Duct tape is good, but there ain't nuttin' that Epoxy resin can't fix. Coffee

[Image: 41sf283yX7L._AA160_.jpg]

Oh, by the way, (and this is just from years of being a duct tape user)... if you're going to purchase duct tape, there's a wide variation in quality, from good stuff to cheap Chinese junk that's not much better than packing tape.

If you really want good Duct tape, there's one that's top-of-the-line, and that's Gorilla Tape. Costs twice as much as the cheap stuff, but it's 10 times as good:

[Image: 41Bu7nyIuoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Plus +1 on the Gorilla Tape - it's great stuff. I use it for "almost permanent" repairs, or stuff that I'll need to fix "completely" at a later date.

As far as the Quatto FX mask, I'm using the correct method of fitting (nose bridge and swing down), but find that I need to tighten the straps a bit excessively to eliminate nose bridge leaks toward my eyes. Due to this tightness, the mask will slide up my nose bridge, and this loosens the upper straps a bit. I find that the nose leaks don't recur when this happens, but the lower edge of the mask cushion ends up just under my lower lip, and if my mouth opens during sleep, the lower cushion ends up in my mouth, with resultant leaks there.

I spoke with my DME therapist about this, and she suggested that a larger mask might alleviate this problem. I didn't have use of the ResMed sizing tool before ordering the Med. size, but I found a web reference for sizing DISTANCE between nose bridge and chin "dimple" - 3-5/8-in for Small, 4-in for Med, and 4-3/8-in for Large. I also found another supplier that had a "sizing tool" PDF available, but this ended up being only a pictorial of the ResMed tool, with three different adjustments shown for the three sizes. And measurements of the three "pictures" didn't agree with the distances I quoted on the other site. So, I'm still not sure I have the proper size mask.

Edit - I also found a review thread here about the Quattro FX, and there is more than one reference there about ResMed's sizing tool for this mask not being accurate. Maybe I should ask ResMed directly?

Thanks again for the help,
John

PS - sorry for putting all this scrap about the Quattro FX in this thread, but I'm still pretty new at this therapy and the forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2012, 06:09 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Duct tape is good, but there ain't nuttin' that Epoxy resin can't fix.

Is it better than chewing gum?!

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2012, 12:38 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(12-01-2012, 06:09 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Duct tape is good, but there ain't nuttin' that Epoxy resin can't fix.

Is it better than chewing gum?!

I'm sure that there are members here who would love for me to try and chew Epoxy resin... Bigwink But, my mama didn't raise no dumb boys. Too-funny

Oh, you meant use gum to fix a hose, right? Well, it might work temporarily, at least... and if you use Spearmint gum, might even give you nice refreshing minty air to breathe at night. Licklips
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 28 4 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 236 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,409 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 150 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 133 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 672 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.