Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leakage vs. AHI
RE: Leakage vs. AHI
(05-18-2014, 09:26 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(05-18-2014, 04:55 PM)diamaunt Wrote:
(05-18-2014, 10:07 AM)Peter_C Wrote: But, your AHI and all other reading will be suspect unless you can keep your leak rate below the magic line (I think 24Lpm??) - gesh, I always go brain-dead on that number.

according to the resmed autoset manual, the max flow it can handle at 20cmh2o is 136lpm. at 12cmh2o, it says it's good for 164lpm.

seems that there should be plenty of breathing room over that 24lpm.

The 24 lpm is over and above the vent rate which if memory serves is 20-50 lpm. The real problem however is not the ability to supply the air but its ability, with increased air flow to sense the things that it responds to and to sense the apneic events.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

BINGO~! My point and concern. I cannot find any good data to learn at what point will *my* machine not be able to accurately read and understand events due to leaks?

I slept very well last night with my 'Wisp'. But the leak rate bounced between 20-30l/p, and showed an AHI of 7 (good for me) - but the graphs didn't show any jaggies - more like curves - so am thinking data was degraded.

Again, minor or random leaks - no biggie - but sustained higher leaks?? That makes me wonder if I should cave to the FFM and just suffer?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry for the newbie question guys but..

Is leak rate how much air is flowing out around the mask?
And what is AHI?

-Amy
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2014, 11:45 AM)Yveylise Wrote: Sorry for the newbie question guys but..

And what is AHI?

-Amy

Generally when we talk about leak rate we're talking about air that unintentionally escapes from under the mask, through the mouth, out the ears, whatever.

The ahi is basically an average number of apnea events you experience per hour overnight. It is comprised of several types of events and is a guideline to decide how effective your therapy is. It is considered you are doing great if it is under 5, but ideally it will be well under 5.
Post Reply Post Reply
Slight change to average acceptable AHI - '5' is the number to shoot for (if possible), as in an AHI of '5' or less. However, depending on many factors, like how severe your OSA untreated is, getting an AHI of '10' can be completely wonderful~! I was in the 90+ untreated camp, and can count on one hand the number of days at 5 or less in the last year.

The true *test* is are you sleeping better? Waking up less? Having less fatigue during the day? Is your blood O2 maintaining during the night?

Generally, leak rate and AHI are the two 'biggies' to watch - some like to chase numbers and read charts all day (which is fine), but I just want good sleep...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2014, 11:45 AM)Yveylise Wrote: Sorry for the newbie question guys but..

And what is AHI?

-Amy
Unfortunately the machine listed in your user profile 'Machine: Fisher & Paykel Icon Novo' is not data capable machine. Icon Novo does not report any efficacy data, just how many hours using the machine each night . Icon Auto and Icon Premo are data capable machines

Icon family http://www.fphcare.com.au/sleep-apnea/cp.../f-p-icon/
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 107 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Massive leakage with new P30i unlockingsleep 2 260 02-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Why do I need to get my flow limitation and leakage down? Kathy14225 12 1,428 09-30-2023, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Mask 'Pulsing/Jumping' - Plus leakage issues Jake B 4 3,205 09-21-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: HULK
  Resmed Airfit F30 Mask Leakage jerrydaw 28 7,573 09-20-2023, 06:03 AM
Last Post: car54
  N30i leakage alvaro212 11 1,858 07-23-2023, 04:22 AM
Last Post: BAZZA
Question [Diagnosis] Central Apnea associated with mask leakage? wdfarmer 9 1,947 07-14-2023, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Cam12

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.