Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leakage? with a mask
Leakage? with a mask
Okay, I have had my A10 for about a month, and most of that time I am using a dreamwear which is hands down the best set up I have used/seen by FAR! I want to get a mask or mouth device because I have sinus issues some times and even though I have been told the CPAP will power through it, I still want a backup. I have a beard. I have tried two masks so far. The resmed A10 (sucked). It leaked a lot no matter how I adjusted it. And last night a mirage quatro. The quatro seemed to fit well and not have leak issues but both masks at best showed an average leakage of about 10 L/min. These masks both seem to have a lot more air coming out the (for lack of a better term) exhaust ports than the dream wear. But I did set the A10 for mask. I figured that should adjust the numbers for the type of mask. For the most part I am still well below the resmed limit for large leaks, but with the dream wear, I am mostly at ZERO.

Is this normal?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leakage? with a mask
(05-14-2016, 09:49 AM)parrst Wrote: These masks both seem to have a lot more air coming out the (for lack of a better term) exhaust ports than the dream wear.

The vent rate for a full face mask is greater than for a nasal or pillows mask.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2016, 10:15 AM)justMongo Wrote: The vent rate for a full face mask is greater than for a nasal or pillows mask.

Should the machine not adjust for this? Is this not why there is a setting for type of mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2016, 10:46 AM)parrst Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 10:15 AM)justMongo Wrote: The vent rate for a full face mask is greater than for a nasal or pillows mask.

Should the machine not adjust for this? Is this not why there is a setting for type of mask?

Exactly so. And ResMed machines report only unintended leak. So, when you register 10 LPM with the Quattro mask, that is the leak rate (typically around the seal.)

Resmed machines can provide therapy with up to 24 LPM leak rate. The issue I have with leaks is that they bother me -- usually by waking me.

Since you have a beard, it may be more challenging; but it can be done. Others with facial hair make it work.

A mask liner might help.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2016, 12:46 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 10:46 AM)parrst Wrote:

Exactly so. And ResMed machines report only unintended leak. So, when you register 10 LPM with the Quattro mask, that is the leak rate (typically around the seal.)

Resmed machines can provide therapy with up to 24 LPM leak rate. The issue I have with leaks is that they bother me -- usually by waking me.

[/quote]

Is an average leak rate of 10 normal with a mask and a beard? I did not notice leaks.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2016, 01:13 PM)parrst Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 12:46 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 10:46 AM)parrst Wrote: Should the machine not adjust for this? Is this not why there is a setting for type of mask?

Is an average leak rate of 10 normal with a mask and a beard? I did not notice leaks.

At 10 l/min. the Resmed machine can still provide the correct therapy pressure and is still capable of sensing and discriminating apnea events. The moral of this story is that your leakage rate is fine. If you want to work on lowering it more that is fine but not necessary.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2016, 10:15 AM)justMongo Wrote:
(05-14-2016, 09:49 AM)parrst Wrote: These masks both seem to have a lot more air coming out the (for lack of a better term) exhaust ports than the dream wear.

The vent rate for a full face mask is greater than for a nasal or pillows mask.

that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Post Reply Post Reply
If there are no unintentional leaks with a P10 what should Sleepyhead report as the leak rate?
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2016, 03:50 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: If there are no unintentional leaks with a P10 what should Sleepyhead report as the leak rate?

I don't know what it should do but my experience is that it will show all leaks but the scale on the graph changes so if your actual leak rate is low it will appear much bigger than you might expect.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I keep reading that ResMed machines only show unintentional leaks, because they compensate (subtract out) any intentional leaks, like the vents. But, I have both an F10 and a P10 and neither ever shows zero, and I can be certain (via testing) that there are times when there is zero unintentional leaks and sleepyhead shows between 7 and 10 cm depending... (on something)

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 103 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Massive leakage with new P30i unlockingsleep 2 255 02-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Why do I need to get my flow limitation and leakage down? Kathy14225 12 1,428 09-30-2023, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Mask 'Pulsing/Jumping' - Plus leakage issues Jake B 4 3,200 09-21-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: HULK
  Resmed Airfit F30 Mask Leakage jerrydaw 28 7,560 09-20-2023, 06:03 AM
Last Post: car54
  N30i leakage alvaro212 11 1,841 07-23-2023, 04:22 AM
Last Post: BAZZA
Question [Diagnosis] Central Apnea associated with mask leakage? wdfarmer 9 1,943 07-14-2023, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Cam12

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.