Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaking: long time user suddenly unable to diagnose and solve leak issue(s)
Leaking: long time user suddenly unable to diagnose and solve leak issue(s)
Hi all,

In brief: I am now leaking at record rates for the first time.  I am unable to fix the problem despite much trial and error.

Longer version:

I've been using the AirFit P10 (L) + Dreamstation since October 2016.  After the typical adjustment period, I've been coasting along ever since.  I follow proper maintenance procedures and replacement schedules (on the latter, however, I often extend the timeline as I don't often seen much wear, I presume due to the former).

Issues first arose last month (Jan 2018) when I started to notice an extremely dry mouth - enough that it would either wake me up or I would wake up and notice it.  The only times I previously suffered from a dry mouth was during rare, mid-day naps when I did not use my CPAP.  I didn't think much of this until I started getting notices in Sleepyhead, stating "Your mask is leaking way too much.  Contact your CPAP advisor."
I don't recall the first time I got it, but it went from never being an issue to occurring more often, to an every night notice.

At some point thereafter, I became much more cognizant of the dry mouth. In a rare moment of pseudo-lucidity, I caught myself breathing from my mouth while the P10 was making much more noise than I typically hear.  That's when I knew something was off and the aforementioned "trial and error" commenced, to no avail, sadly.  Hence my plea for advice from you fine folks.

Unsurprisingly, I'm now hyper-aware of anything that could be causing this - with the obvious caveat that a subjective cause-effect link is spurious.  Nevertheless, here are some things I've noticed since this started being an issue last month:
  • Restating the obvious, the extreme dry mouth occurring more often than not.  Previously it never occurred.
  • A few times of waking up to louder than normal pressure from the P10 + noticing that I was breathing - to some extent - from the mouth.
  • A few nights of slight/moderate congestion, but this is an example of something I may be noticing only because I'm now 'hyper-aware.'  In any event, at no time have I been sick since this started. Allergies do not affect me in a meaningful way, to my knowledge.  I had surgery for a deviated septum in December 2016.
  • I've tried a Phillips chin strap and it dramatically affected my quality of sleep.  I loathed using it and after 3-4 nights, I gave up.  I wish I had made a concrete note as to when I used it so I could more easily compare nights, but my recollection was that it did not.  I also tried a regular ace bandage which was more comfortable but the results were largely the same (i.e., inconclusive).
  • "Mask Fit" in the Phillips iOS app and on my Dreamstation have hit under 100% multiple times during this 6-7 week period.  As far as I can tell, it never had in the ~15 months prior.
  • I've replaced all components (nasal pillow, tubing, mask).  No difference.
  • SleepyHead data shows a clear and convincing trend, with dramatic increases Average, 90%, and Threshold Leak numbers.  As well as "Large Leaks."  Here is some data:
[Image: vgEhaNS.png]

[Image: PltyKSF.png]

[Image: WEEG8RM.png]

And, FWIW, all my "Records" for Large Leak have occurred during this period: 

[Image: FXUrLSE.png]

My thanks for any advice or thoughts.  It would be much appreciated, as I have run out of ideas.

Warm Regards,

sorabora
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaking: long time user suddenly unable to diagnose and solve leak issue(s)
Without seeing a full chart but based on the comment that you have a dry mouth I would guess you mouth breathing. And losing pressure out of your mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
A Daily chart showing the leak chart would help. I'd guess mouth leaks due to the dry mouth. There's a long list of things you can do and not knowing what you've tried all I can offer is the link below called mask primer. It covers some of things you can do for mouth leaks.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am in the mouth leaks camp as well but in addition I noticed when I used the P10s that leak rates crept up over time and even when I swapped out the pillows it didn't make a difference. My remedy was to try new masks which worked. I tried the Dreamwear and Brevida. Liked them both. Prefer the Brevida. Give it a try and you might be surprised.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2018, 01:56 PM)jaswilliams Wrote: Without seeing a full chart but based on the comment that you have a dry mouth I would guess you mouth breathing. And losing pressure out of your mouth.

(02-24-2018, 02:00 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: A Daily chart showing the leak chart would help. I'd guess mouth leaks due to the dry mouth. There's a long list of things you can do and not knowing what you've tried all I can offer is the link below called mask primer. It covers some of things you can do for mouth leaks.

My apologies.  I neglected to post the most relevant data!  Below from the last week:

[Image: gqLCB6F.png]
[Image: GkITFjb.png]
[Image: bQgXIK7.png]
[Image: iH0ShSk.png]
[Image: QyOarLU.png]
[Image: PN6llvt.png]
[Image: 5vPWdPd.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Well some of it is mouth leaking from what I see. I'd try a soft cervical collar or chin strap to help keep your jaw closed. I also saw chin up strips being used by a member that worked for them. I myself already use a Cervical collar for positional issues but still had leaks through my lips. I now tape my lips with one piece of tape and that works for me. Lot's ways to try.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
First I agree that you are having some comfort issues regarding the obvious mouth breathing that is showing up in your charts.  Read the Mask Primer in my signature for some helpful hints.

Second Your large leak numbers that you are quoting are (IMHO) based on ResMed.  You have a PR DreamStation and the major areas of concern are those that are showing on your charts as gray.  PR Leak numbers are considerably higher than ResMed numbers because of the way they are calculated.  This is meant just to offer you some peace of mind that your leaks are not as bad as you think they are.  That doesn't make them any easier to fix.

You are apparently more sensitive to mouth breathing than many as evidenced by your dry mouth.  Let's continue to work on this.
You also identified a trend of increasing leaks.  Well done.

My "eyeball" test says your large leakage is 2-5% which is OK IF it's not impacting your quality of sleep, which it obviously is.

Again read the Mask Primer, something might jump at you.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with bonjour. Your leaks aren't as bad as they look in SleepyHead. You could try going into the CPAP tab of the SleepyHead settings and change the "Flag leaks over threshold" feature to 64 l/min which is close to the lowest leak rate that SleepyHead starts flagging large leaks on your charts. The default setting is 24 l/min, which is ResMed's large leak threshold. This should give you a better idea of just how bad your leaks really are.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
As has been said. It seems like mouth leaking. The dreamstation combine both mask vent and leak. On your chart I would say the base vent is about 30 and I would want to keep my total leaks under 40, up to 55 (the 25 number used to describe a large leak)
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you been replacing headgear and cushions routinely? I find the P10 needs replacement periodically. If that is okay, then I agree with others that a soft cervical collar may encourage your jaw to stay closed. There is also a "Chin-Up" bandage that looks promising for keeping the mouth closed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 33 6 hours ago
Last Post: cps22
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 11 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 209 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,436 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 102 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.