Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaking mask
Leaking mask
Can anyone come up with any suggestions? I am wearing a Phillips Dreamwear mask. Medium size with a small nose pillow. It was fitted by a cpap rep who instructed me on the use of the machine. A resmed airsense 10. The first two nights were good. I woke up to a green smiley face for mask seal. Then it all went downhill. Last night I went to bed with a green smiley face for seal and I ran the check for    Mask fit and it was good.
This morning I woke to Mr Frowny's red face for mask seal. Sleepyhead says I have a major leak.
The night before was the same. I am so tired that I hate the thoughts of going to bed at all because I am not getting any decent sleep. I'm not pulling off my mask and I sleep mainly on my side. sometimes my mouth fills up with air and I splutter it out.
My usage last night was 5.29, events 2.5, ahi 2.0
The night before it wa usage 4.20, events 6.4, ahi 1.9
My very first night on cpap machine my usage was 5.48, events 1.2, ahi .8 and all smiley faces!
I'm so discouraged.
Thanks for any help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaking mask
Kathy, it sounds like you may be mouth breathing.  Mouth breathing is very common problem and is first addressed by using a chinstrap.  There are several different designs in the marketplace, so look at a few before deciding on one.   One model that is very popular is named the Ruby and comes in fixed sizes or an adjustable model.

Good luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the tip and I think you are correct. I will check online for the strap you suggest and give it a try.
Best regards 
Kathy
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Kathy,
I’m sorry you are having such a rough time with CPAP therapy, Have you considered asking to try another mask? Sometimes, it can take a few of them ‘till you find the one that works for you.
I want to encourage you to Just stick with it, I know it is discouraging for you but just hang in there.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Trish,
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I was thinking of perhaps trying the full face mask but don't know how comfortable this would be. I have a very narrow nose bridge and I understand they can be a bit painful there. I guess it would stop the mouth breathing and hopefully allow me to get the therapy from cpap that I need.
I will just battle on until I can get something that works!
Thank you again for taking time to reply,
Best regards 
Kathy
Post Reply Post Reply
Read the Mask Primer, mouth breathing can be solved many different ways.
FYI your charts will indicate if the issue is mouth breathing, it will also provide hints if it is occuring when you shift positions at night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Call your equipment provider and tell them what's going on. They have chin straps. And if necessary a full face mask.

Also, sometimes mouth leaking goes away on its own. Just don't give up.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 363 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 342 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 565 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,460 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  leaking water tank ( Airsense 10) migos 2 520 09-16-2023, 06:21 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  AirFit F30i is leaking and I don't know what to do NoddingHacker 7 2,322 06-15-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: sttebr
  Good AHI and good oxygen levels - CPAP Leaking yp390 1 499 03-31-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.