Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaking mask
Leaking mask
My full face ResMed mask seems to be leaking more and more. The main problem area is over the nose. Is this typical of a mask that has been used ever day for the past 95 nights?

Also, I have seen many references to baby shampoo for washing the mask. Why? I have been using liquid hand soap. Does this contribute to my leaking problem?

I have been pulling out the membrane from the plastic frame. I've been careful to reinsert the membrane. Does frequent disassembly of this type contribute to leaks?

Thanks for any comments.

Cheers, VegasPier
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaking mask
I've used the Quattro FX which I believe is the one you're referring to for about 17 months now and I've only used 2 face cushions in all of that time. I alternate between the two and I'm still getting zero leaks most nights unless I knock the mask loose in my sleep. I disassemble and wash my mask components in the sink every morning filled with hot water and a squirt of liquid Ivory body soap, rinse well until the cushion is squeaky clean and set it out to air dry. At night, I wash my face with Ivory bar soap just before I go to sleep to remove facial oils. Once maybe every 4 or 5 months I'll boil the cushions in distilled water and baking soda and that renews the cushion removing the cloudiness and restoring some tackiness. You might give that a try. I believe the recommended interval for changing the silicone cushions is every 90 days, but I just haven't seen any need to do that.

One thing I would definitely suggest you play with is the strap tension on your headgear. Over time, the headgear does stretch a bit so the pressure of the cushion against your face can change which will affect the quality of your seal. I was fitted to a size medium headgear originally and went through 2 of them, each lasting around 4 or 5 months before they had stretched too much. Then, I decided to try a size small headgear. Although it was a bit tight at first, it stretched as well and I've been using the same headgear for probably 7 or 8 months now and haven't adjusted the strap tension much at all.

Good luck!
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaking mask
Liquid hand soap is going to be too greasy to use.
It has all kinds of oily skin conditioners in it so it wont dry out your skin.
Well...we want to dry out your skin so the mask seal will stick to it.
The seal needs to be clean and free of all oil & grease too.

Get the Dawn dish soap (non-concentrated!) That works great because it is a de-greaser.

you might get dishpan hands from using it but...sacrifices must be made. Smile
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 392 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 348 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 569 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,465 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  leaking water tank ( Airsense 10) migos 2 522 09-16-2023, 06:21 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  AirFit F30i is leaking and I don't know what to do NoddingHacker 7 2,330 06-15-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: sttebr
  Good AHI and good oxygen levels - CPAP Leaking yp390 1 499 03-31-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.