Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit p10
Humidifier: integrated with machine
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: struggling...but working on it

Sex: Female

Question Leaks
Hi! I am trying to assess my leaks and determine if I need to try a different mask. It looks like I am leaking somewhat most of the time. I just can't decide how big a problem this is. Any interpretation from the experts would help. This is my first time tryimg to upload an image. Fingers crossed.
03-20-2016 08:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

RE: Leaks
If you are not wearing a chin strap, try one. If you are, try a full face mask such as the Simplus.

You need to look at your daily leak rate graphs. If you see extended periods of time where you are in large leak, that's an indication of mouth-leaking, which I suspect is your problem. The typical remedy is a chin strap, and if that doesn't work a full face mask. Extended periods of large leak leave you without effective therapy or reliable data.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-20-2016 10:17 AM
ginzo Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Res Med Airfit P-10
Humidifier: Humidair S with heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 10.0-13.0

Other Comments: I'm a mouth breather!!!

I'm going with this as a 1st step also. Since your pressures are so low, this seems the logical choice. I had quite the issue with leaks also. Now, nearly none.

(03-20-2016 10:17 AM)Sleepster Wrote:  If you are not wearing a chin strap, try one. If you are, try a full face mask such as the Simplus.

You need to look at your daily leak rate graphs. If you see extended periods of time where you are in large leak, that's an indication of mouth-leaking, which I suspect is your problem. The typical remedy is a chin strap, and if that doesn't work a full face mask. Extended periods of large leak leave you without effective therapy or reliable data.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2016 11:09 AM by ginzo.)
03-20-2016 11:07 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
green wings Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro (460)
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13.0 cm
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Sex: Undisclosed

A question to anyone who knows the answer. I was just looking at Charlie Sue's graphs, and the 95% value for leak rate is 8.4. That's not large at all, is it? (I was also confused, though, because the graph says that the median leak rate is 0.0)

I am wondering about this because I don't know how to interpret my own leak rates. I've been assuming that there isn't a problem unless SleepyHead notes a "Large Leak" on the graph. Is that not the case?

Thanks.

(03-20-2016 08:20 AM)Charlie Sue Wrote:  Hi! I am trying to assess my leaks and determine if I need to try a different mask. It looks like I am leaking somewhat most of the time. I just can't decide how big a problem this is. Any interpretation from the experts would help. This is my first time tryimg to upload an image. Fingers crossed.
03-20-2016 11:53 AM
Charlie Sue Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense10 autoset

(03-20-2016 10:17 AM)Sleepster Wrote:  If you are not wearing a chin strap, try one. If you are, try a full face mask such as the Simplus.

I have tried a couple of types of chin strap. They don't stay on and usually ride up over my mouth and nose. So I gave up on that, I guess 'll try a FFM although they made me claustrophobic during my titration study. Maybeit is just one more thing to adapt to (and pay for). Representative daily graph attached.

Thank-you.
[attachment=2284][attachment=2286]
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2016 12:40 PM by Charlie Sue.)
03-20-2016 12:38 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

The first daily chart you posted looks fine. No real problems that need to be attacked. The second chart does show some large leak but not much. It does not look to me like it is mouth leak. You may want to play with the cushion sizing a little bit. Try up one size from what you are using.

If it were me, I would be happy with the leak results that you are getting but I would also be trying to eliminate the large leaks but part of that is because I am kind of anal when it comes to leaks. I am lightening up though.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
03-20-2016 01:11 PM
green wings Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro (460)
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13.0 cm
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Sex: Undisclosed

Piggybacking on Charlie Sue's thread here. I'm also wondering about my leak rate. Bad? Mouth-breathing? (I have a nasal mask.)

Thanks.

[Image: LYSQ6YZ.jpg]
03-20-2016 01:52 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(03-20-2016 12:38 PM)Charlie Sue Wrote:  I guess 'll try a FFM although they made me claustrophobic during my titration study.

I had similar reservations about transitioning to a full face mask from nasal pillows. I started with a nasal mask and face oils prevented a good seal. I thought I'd never adapt to a full face mask. But, it turned out to be no problem at all. Apparently my original problems were caused by anxiety. After adapting to CPAP therapy on nasal pillows, the anxiety apparently went away.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-20-2016 07:26 PM
Charlie Sue Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense10 autoset

RE: Leaks + 2 new questions
Quote:I had similar reservations about transitioning to a full face mask from nasal pillows. I started with a nasal mask and face oils prevented a good seal. I thought I'd never adapt to a full face mask. But, it turned out to be no problem at all. Apparently my original problems were caused by anxiety. After adapting to CPAP therapy on nasal pillows, the anxiety apparently went away.

Sleepster, thanks for your reply. I have an appt with my sleep doc tomorrow am. He looks only at compliance, so I'll be taking my computer with sleepyhead data to discuss. I am hoping the RT can help fit me and pick a new mask. I can't say a single good thing about the DME my insurance sent me to--so don't want to rely on them.

I do have a couple of new questions...will a FFM help when I am sick or make it harder to breathe? I have asthma and recently had the flu--could not use my nasal pillows at all due to coughing and wheezing.

My rx says EPR 1cmH20, however when I went in today to change the time (DST strikes) I noticed it is off. Will turning this on help with the effort it takes to exhale at the high end of my pressure?

I really do appreciate the knowledge you all have and share, as well as the encouragement I get here.

Thanks

Charlie Sue
03-21-2016 07:56 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Mosquitobait Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 For Her
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: integrated, Climate line tube
CPAP Pressure: 9-12

Other Comments: RLS and Bradycardia

Charlie Sue, now that you are accustomed to having the equipment on your face, a full face mask may be less of a problem.
03-21-2016 09:56 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is it worth dropping pressure to get over leaks rich2905 19 1,269 11-16-2016 02:38 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
Question CA's, Mask type, and leaks/vent Rcgop 10 369 11-15-2016 03:02 PM
Last Post: robysue
  Leaks (Too high?) sleepytimegal 9 438 11-06-2016 09:58 PM
Last Post: sleepytimegal
  Move alot and getting mask leaks HELP christinaleigh 10 520 11-06-2016 03:15 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  No apnea recorded during Large Leaks Roy289 12 517 10-05-2016 02:15 AM
Last Post: beet
Arrow Pressure vs. leaks dilemna Kakesim 7 529 09-20-2016 12:33 AM
Last Post: chill
  [Pressure] Loud leaks with mask MDHilz 4 396 08-30-2016 03:26 PM
Last Post: chill