Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaks
Question 
Leaks
Hi! I am trying to assess my leaks and determine if I need to try a different mask. It looks like I am leaking somewhat most of the time. I just can't decide how big a problem this is. Any interpretation from the experts would help. This is my first time tryimg to upload an image. Fingers crossed.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaks
If you are not wearing a chin strap, try one. If you are, try a full face mask such as the Simplus.

You need to look at your daily leak rate graphs. If you see extended periods of time where you are in large leak, that's an indication of mouth-leaking, which I suspect is your problem. The typical remedy is a chin strap, and if that doesn't work a full face mask. Extended periods of large leak leave you without effective therapy or reliable data.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going with this as a 1st step also. Since your pressures are so low, this seems the logical choice. I had quite the issue with leaks also. Now, nearly none.

(03-20-2016, 10:17 AM)Sleepster Wrote: If you are not wearing a chin strap, try one. If you are, try a full face mask such as the Simplus.

You need to look at your daily leak rate graphs. If you see extended periods of time where you are in large leak, that's an indication of mouth-leaking, which I suspect is your problem. The typical remedy is a chin strap, and if that doesn't work a full face mask. Extended periods of large leak leave you without effective therapy or reliable data.

Post Reply Post Reply
A question to anyone who knows the answer. I was just looking at Charlie Sue's graphs, and the 95% value for leak rate is 8.4. That's not large at all, is it? (I was also confused, though, because the graph says that the median leak rate is 0.0)

I am wondering about this because I don't know how to interpret my own leak rates. I've been assuming that there isn't a problem unless SleepyHead notes a "Large Leak" on the graph. Is that not the case?

Thanks.

(03-20-2016, 08:20 AM)Charlie Sue Wrote: Hi! I am trying to assess my leaks and determine if I need to try a different mask. It looks like I am leaking somewhat most of the time. I just can't decide how big a problem this is. Any interpretation from the experts would help. This is my first time tryimg to upload an image. Fingers crossed.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2016, 10:17 AM)Sleepster Wrote: If you are not wearing a chin strap, try one. If you are, try a full face mask such as the Simplus.

I have tried a couple of types of chin strap. They don't stay on and usually ride up over my mouth and nose. So I gave up on that, I guess 'll try a FFM although they made me claustrophobic during my titration study. Maybeit is just one more thing to adapt to (and pay for). Representative daily graph attached.

Thank-you.
[attachment=2284][attachment=2286]
Post Reply Post Reply
The first daily chart you posted looks fine. No real problems that need to be attacked. The second chart does show some large leak but not much. It does not look to me like it is mouth leak. You may want to play with the cushion sizing a little bit. Try up one size from what you are using.

If it were me, I would be happy with the leak results that you are getting but I would also be trying to eliminate the large leaks but part of that is because I am kind of anal when it comes to leaks. I am lightening up though.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Piggybacking on Charlie Sue's thread here. I'm also wondering about my leak rate. Bad? Mouth-breathing? (I have a nasal mask.)

Thanks.

[Image: LYSQ6YZ.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2016, 12:38 PM)Charlie Sue Wrote: I guess 'll try a FFM although they made me claustrophobic during my titration study.

I had similar reservations about transitioning to a full face mask from nasal pillows. I started with a nasal mask and face oils prevented a good seal. I thought I'd never adapt to a full face mask. But, it turned out to be no problem at all. Apparently my original problems were caused by anxiety. After adapting to CPAP therapy on nasal pillows, the anxiety apparently went away.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaks + 2 new questions
Quote:I had similar reservations about transitioning to a full face mask from nasal pillows. I started with a nasal mask and face oils prevented a good seal. I thought I'd never adapt to a full face mask. But, it turned out to be no problem at all. Apparently my original problems were caused by anxiety. After adapting to CPAP therapy on nasal pillows, the anxiety apparently went away.

Sleepster, thanks for your reply. I have an appt with my sleep doc tomorrow am. He looks only at compliance, so I'll be taking my computer with sleepyhead data to discuss. I am hoping the RT can help fit me and pick a new mask. I can't say a single good thing about the DME my insurance sent me to--so don't want to rely on them.

I do have a couple of new questions...will a FFM help when I am sick or make it harder to breathe? I have asthma and recently had the flu--could not use my nasal pillows at all due to coughing and wheezing.

My rx says EPR 1cmH20, however when I went in today to change the time (DST strikes) I noticed it is off. Will turning this on help with the effort it takes to exhale at the high end of my pressure?

I really do appreciate the knowledge you all have and share, as well as the encouragement I get here.

Thanks

Charlie Sue

Post Reply Post Reply
Charlie Sue, now that you are accustomed to having the equipment on your face, a full face mask may be less of a problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 290 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 243 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 141 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 162 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 109 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 504 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.