Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaks, Mask Change... now increased obstructive apneas
Leaks, Mask Change... now increased obstructive apneas
After (almost) a year of not checking SleepyHead stats (instead using recording pulse oximeter to check success of CPAP settings), I decided to use SleepyHead to see what's "going on".  Why?  Recently had successfuly SVT ablation surgery, slept well, felt great - but haven't been sleeping soundly the past few weeks, so... I checked SleepyHead 10 days ago (while wearing the recording pulse oximeter).  Oxygen levels fine... but I had a ton of leakage with frequent getting up and not getting back to sleep.  SO... I decided to switch from the nasal pillows to a full face mask.  Switched the mask settings on my ResMed S9, but left CPAP at 8.0 with EPR at 1.  Leaks went down with the full face mask - but here's my question (finally):  Why did my obstructive apneas shoot up from "almost zip" to 4, then 17, then 36, 16, 24 ... yipes!  Clear airway apneas went up slightly from 1-2 every few nights to 3, 4 or 5 every night.  What's going on?  What should I try first?  Thanks for any suggestions!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaks, Mask Change... now increased obstructive apneas
The full face mask may require more pressure to keep the OA's away I suggest you post a daily graph here from SleepyHead so we can see what is going on
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you change setting im machine for ffm?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think SVT ablation is likely to be connected to the results. Anytime a change in therapy results occurs, I think it's time to look at the problem objectively and solve it using the same techniques and approach we use for a new user. Identifying the problem is the first step and as Jaswilliams suggests, posting some Sleepyhead data will go a long way to accomplish that.

Something else you might want to try, is taking your S9 Autoset out of CPAP mode and re-titrating.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Jaswilliams,  Thanks for the links to SleepyHead!  I haven't updated SleepyHead to my MacBook Air, so I'm using a very ancient Windows program on a "Surface" computer.  But now, thanks to your links, I'll be able to post charts and graphs as soon as I get a new MacBook Air (in a few weeks).
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Gary 1of2, I checked and - yes - I had changed from nasal to FFM settings on the CPAP.  Thanks for the reminder!  As we all know, when we're not getting enough quality sleep.... we do strange things!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleepwalker!  Before going to sleep last night I set my S9 to "APAP" mode (for the first time in 3 years or more) and set the range for 5-12.  Slept ALL NIGHT LONG without waking up once or waking up with a headache!  Here are the results: OA 0.93, CA 0.53 - and most came within the first hour of sleep.  Oh, and I did switch back to the FFM and made certain I changed the settings to reflect the FFM.  I think I'll stick with these settings for a week to see what happens - then go from there.

Thanks  everyone who responded!!!  What a great support group!!  I'm now heading off to PayPal to make a donation to Apnea Board.
MAPNEA
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like APAP mode is working out well for you. The S9 is very good at meeting your pressure needs, and it sounds like Auto CPAP is where you need to be for now. Our needs change over time, so take note of your median and 90% pressure so you have a better idea what is working.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,417 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 537 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 74 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 232 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 854 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.