Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaks/Noise/AirSense 10
Leaks/Noise/AirSense 10
Good morning,

I have a question. I'm having problems with my machine making noise. It sounds like air is escaping when I am inhaling. I guess the best way to explain it....it sounds like an iron lung machine. For the first part of the year, the machine ran very quietly. My scores received stars for air leaks. Now I'm scoring 30-40 l/min. Thank you for any input and help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaks/Noise/AirSense 10
Get off to a head start by posting a couple of nights of your SleepyHead charts where the leak rate is high. Be sure to include the leak panel in your clip. This may help posters get an insight on the leak source (or not).

The leak is most likely to be at the mask. You could help yourself figure out if there's a leak anywhere else by turning the machine on. Then run your fingers from the machine along the length of the hose to see if air is escaping. Air is supposed to escape from the exhale valve at the mask.

My machine does make a sound resembling a ventilator when I breathe. I got to like it: it makes me realize I'm getting help breathing, which is all to the good. If you recently increased pressure settings, this may impact the feedback sounds you're getting.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also check the silicone tube ends where the humidifier plugs in they can get distorted an cause leaks
Post Reply Post Reply
I put my machine on a folded up towel to keep the sound from banging at the night stand
Post Reply Post Reply
I found if you dont have the humidifier snaped in properly it will sound that way
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, check the humidifier is fully home and the seals are not misshaped or distorted.
Sometimes I get this noise when I breathe in from the vent on the mask itself, I think it is the seal lifting off slightly, but when I breath out it is quiet again.  I don't know if it actually lifts off or not, probably not, but that is what it sounds like, I think it is just the pressure it happens to be at at the time, if I fall asleep and waken again it is not doing it anymore.  So I don't think it is anything to worry about.
Check all your connections and the hose itself and if there is nothing to see I wouldn't worry about it.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed Airsense 10 has a known problem. In my case (mine was the 3rd machine to be replaced in the same week at my sleep docs) the machines started making this whining noise in time with my breathing. They are being exchanged for new machines without any problem by Resmed. My Airsense was 3 months old.
Post Reply Post Reply
New DME company, brand new Air Sense 10 (received Friday, this is Sunday), this machine has been whining since I first started turned it on, thought I'd try it anyway. Can't be sure my pressure is correct, either. Doesn't feel the same, and yes, I know, totally different machine than my old one, so that could be just that, too, but not the whining. Thanks for info...I'll be calling the DME company in the morning.      JR...RRT, RPSGT (retired x 5yrs)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 288 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,290 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 621 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 141 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 162 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.