Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chick Question Alert
Chick Question Alert
Curious to know if female CPAP users find that their AHI's change, go higher, etc; during their "time of month" moments?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Chick Question Alert
I came to read this post hoping to see a "chick question" and all I got was this lousy t shirt Dont-know

Ok, sorry to intrude, someone else should be by soon to add some relevant information.

[Image: animals_chicken_198682.gif]
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2014, 09:09 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote: Curious to know if female CPAP users find that their AHI's change, go higher, etc; during their "time of month" moments?
From: old thread copied from our old forum by non other than 'Professor Colin Sullivan' inventor of CPAP
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...or-Useless

The AHI can mislead physicians about the severity of SDB, Dr. Sullivan added. At certain points in the menstrual cycle, for example, women with SDB may respond to apnea with a large rise in blood pressure (BP) rather than in the AHI. Catastrophic BP elevations with no change in the AHI were even observed during sleep apnea in a woman with preeclampsia.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Zonk. Thats very interesting. It leaves me a bit confused though for I basically believed that your AHIs told you more or less all you needed to know??!!!

That wasn't why i asked the original question and perhaps now that i have read this, my original train of thought about it all was wrong.

Simply put, I finally got my CPAP set up properly after 2 months of a rather hellish state, about 18 days ago. Every day since then, except for the past 3, my AHI was between 1.58 and 3.46 with one 4.98 or so thrown in there.
The past 3 nights, it suddenly veered up to 6.83, 7.21, + 6.19.
Being that I hadn't changed anything at all, although I also realize that 3 nights is hardly worth panicking over, I was just wondering what it might be..........and ALL i could think of was, that time of month routine.

It got me to thinking that I was surprised, watching these machines, AHIs, how sensitive it all seems. That something so simple, as a cold could throw your AHIs off......if right, I am just rather surprised, never having ever having to give any thought to my sleep before having been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea.

From that i got to thinking that IF something also so simple as the time of month, so to speak could affect you then how much it be when a woman hits menopause?

But now I read this article and it suggests that the contrary is in fact the truth, rather than my own observations but better to know that correctly than incorrectly, obviously.

Ok thanks for that article, I guess that all sums it all up but I was always under the impression that most people here did study their AHIs and other parts of the charts closely on a daily basis.

I myself just now need to find a spot that describes all the windows in Sleepyhead such as Flow Rate, Respitory Rate, Tidal Volume, Minute Vent......and so on. Newbies such as myself can figure out the Leak chart rather easily enough but its the other ones as i just mentioned that leave many of us scratching our heads.............

If you know of such a spot, please leave an url for it and I guess you answered my question in full and I will not waste any more time looking to see if even the smallest change can throw one off their recovery AHI numbers, etc.

Thanks again

( I have a beta Sleepyhead for my mac but anytime i click on its HELP and look at the link to Users Help, not only will it not go further but it sends my firewall, Little Snitch into a snit and no matter how many times I ok permissions for it, it must ask me 30x in a row for them but does it each time so I have stopped using the HELP section so not sure if they explain the charts somewhere or not )
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I came to read this post hoping to see a "chick question" and all I got was this lousy t shirt

I assure you that many woman could put the men to shame..............with what we can discuss in the locker rooms
But I don't think a Sleep Apnea forum is the place for it LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2014, 05:19 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote:
Quote:I came to read this post hoping to see a "chick question" and all I got was this lousy t shirt

I assure you that many woman could put the men to shame..............with what we can discuss in the locker rooms
But I don't think a Sleep Apnea forum is the place for it LOL

I have no doubt you are right but I don't want to hijack her thread so I'll leave it be.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2014, 05:16 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: I myself just now need to find a spot that describes all the windows in Sleepyhead such as Flow Rate, Respitory Rate, Tidal Volume, Minute Vent......and so on. Newbies such as myself can figure out the Leak chart rather easily enough but its the other ones as i just mentioned that leave many of us scratching our heads.............

Just look at the second post down in the "Important Threads" area at the beginning of the forum. Robysue's Beginners guide to Sleepyhead is very comprehensive.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2014, 10:07 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(08-09-2014, 05:16 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: I myself just now need to find a spot that describes all the windows in Sleepyhead such as Flow Rate, Respitory Rate, Tidal Volume, Minute Vent......and so on. Newbies such as myself can figure out the Leak chart rather easily enough but its the other ones as i just mentioned that leave many of us scratching our heads.............

Just look at the second post down in the "Important Threads" area at the beginning of the forum. Robysue's Beginners guide to Sleepyhead is very comprehensive.

Thank you. You are right. I had read through it before and completely forgot where I had seen that info so thanks for reminding me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: FDA Fire Safety Alert Dreamstation 2 Gideon 15 1,252 12-03-2023, 03:00 PM
Last Post: kotaKat
  ALERT regarding possible re-breathing issues with Resmed Airfit P10 mdmarmd 14 11,304 01-03-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: KAHLDAHL
Question Dreamstation APAP "Service Required" Safe State Alert Help FatSleeper15 3 3,355 02-18-2021, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Mask Off Alert matzdj 3 1,570 09-23-2018, 01:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,422 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  [Treatment] Noob Alert dracus 21 3,093 11-02-2017, 01:30 AM
Last Post: dracus
  New chick. Need help figuring out RX and max pressure. notjomama 15 3,251 07-09-2017, 12:18 AM
Last Post: notjomama

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.