Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaks (Too high?)
Leaks (Too high?)
Hi helpful forum members, I've been using my machine for 3 months now and am trying to be extra conscientious since my doctor told me I am 'very severe'' (AHI 57). I'm having a little problem with my leaks, but don't know if I should be alarmed or not. I'm not sure why my leaks have gotten worse - I just got a new hose and new 'pillows.' But mainly, I'm just wondering if it's even something I should be worrying about. I use MyAir (ResMed) to monitor my progress with the nasal pillows and chinstrap. (I tried to download Sleepyhead but it wouldn't download. I'm hoping to get it when I eventually get a new computer, but am waiting for this one to crash first.) But according to MyAir my AHIs are good - almost always under 3, but my leaks are 14L/min. (For awhile they were averaging about 10.) I'm thinking that since my AHIs are good that it's not that relevant. I'm not sure if it's a problem or not, so would like the opinion of you experts out there. My sleep doctor said he would like them to be under 10 (or was it 6)? Anyway, I appreciate any opinions I can get from you guys.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaks (Too high?)
MyAir provides limited info and if we wanted to see whether the leaks are effecting your therapy we would need to see your SH graphs. Any leak rate less than 24/L is usually not worrisome as the machine can overcome that rate. However, we would need to see how long you might be above that max line per night. I saw my leak rate creeping up as well with the P10s and have recently trialed the new Rio mask and back to the Dreamwear liking both. I would encourage you to download the brokenGL version of SH so you can install it and then post some data for members to review.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you sonicboom. I am going to try again to install SleepyHead, knowing that MyAir doesn't give the whole picture. Maybe this time it will successfully install. I've already got it downloaded. It's great that there is someone who would help me interpret it. I find my DME respiratory therapist to not be very knowledgeable or too interested. I'm interested in that DreamMask that you mentioned. I read reviews and of course there were many who liked it and didn't like it.
According to my therapist, if I want Medicare to pay for it, I would have to wait 6 months until Jan., and I assume I would have to turn my pillows in. Did you just pay for yours out of pocket. Not trying be nosy, just wondering how people are handling trying out different masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Airfit P10 pillows are best used clean. I use Dawn dishwahing detergent, and it strips the oils and leaves them clean, which results in a very good seal. The pillows come in several sizes. I recommend you try the next larger size from what you're currently using. The pillows seal best when lightly resting under the nose, and many users select a size too small. Try it, and let us know how it works out. If you didn't receive all three sizes, just tell your supplier you are having leak problems and want to try the next larger size. Should be no problem to get one to try out.

Here is a link to #Sleepyhead . It should be no problem to install, but to make it run you need to know a trick Sonicboom alluded to. When Sleepyhead installs, it puts two executable files on your computer in the C:\Programs386\Sleepyhead folder. The one you want to use is SleepyHead-BrokenGL.exe. Once you find it, you can right click on the file and use the Send-To option to send it to your desktop as a shortcut. That will make it easier in the future. If you're not too good with file explorer or files, get a kid to help out. You need one old enough to use a keyboard and mouse LOL. Some of the younger ones don't know what to do without a touch-screen.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-05-2016, 01:54 PM)sleepytimegal Wrote: According to my therapist, if I want Medicare to pay for it, I would have to wait 6 months until Jan., and I assume I would have to turn my pillows in. Did you just pay for yours out of pocket. Not trying be nosy, just wondering how people are handling trying out different masks.

Don't buy into what a therapist or DME tells you...they don't always get it right.

Medicare should cover a new mask every 90 days. Call Medicare yourself to check on your coverage. And no, you should not have to turn in your pillow mask unless it is within the first 30 days, and you want to try something different.

With that said, I have tried different masks by ordering from online vendors.
Most offer a 30 day trial in which you can return minus shipping.

My favorite is Supplier #26, but check them all out. You can also find great mask deals on Amazon.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider, I do have the next larger (small) pillow size. I tried them one night and my nose was a little sore in the morning, so I went back to the extra small. But maybe I should give them another try since it wasn't that bad and I might adjust. Also the Dawn cleaning sounded like a good suggestion. Will try it for tonight.
I am pretty used to using a computer (although I would have to admit my 13 year old grandson is better). So I will try installing sleephead again. I think I gave up too easily because I thought I would be overwhelmed by it (because I wouldn't know how to interpret it). I missed the 'broken' clue in the previous suggestion, not knowing what it meant, so thanks for the clarification.

I love this forum.

Sleepytimegal
Post Reply Post Reply
There is so much information in Sleepyhead, and a member here, robysue has authored a guide that is amazing. It will teach you the basics, and I still refer to it. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...SleepyHead

Very few people really use the XS pillows. That is really tiny.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Opal Rose - That's news I can use. I didn't realize I could have a 30 day free trial with other masks ordering them on my own. That's the way for me to go to try some different options without getting my DME/therapist involved, because she tends to be negative about trying something new. I suppose because it's more work for her. This will allow me to try out a couple that I'm interested in maybe having.

Thanks again.
Sleepytimegal
Post Reply Post Reply
I pay and trial them like Opal Rose. Keep us posted on your progress.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the small rather than the extra small nasal pillows last night and it seemed better - more secure - especially when I would wake in the middle of the night. In the morning I checked MyAir (still working on SleepyHead) and my leaks went down from 16 to 5. I consider that significant and think maybe that was my main problem. (I know I have some mouth leaking too.) I shall continue with the small size and hope that my lower leak number continues. Tomorrow I am going to try again to install Sleepyhead. It's so great that there are people able and willing to help me. I never knew that there would be so many questions and things that you wanted to get opinions on. Next week I am going to bring up an entirely new topic about getting head colds. I can't wait too long - the season is coming. I hate to face it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 691 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 104 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.