Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaks almost gone experience
Leaks almost gone experience
Hi everyone,

I wanted to give my experience of how I resolved leaks for myself in hopes it could help some people struggling here. 

TLDR: Try wearing your chinstrap and mask little loser than you are used to, it may help.

To give some background: Last 3 months were horrible for my leaks (check leaks2.png) despite being 2 years into therapy I was clueless what I was doing wrong. I tried mouth taping which helped some days but other days the leaks would be bad as if I didnt have it on. I complimented mouth taping with Caldera neck collar and that would make leaks much better but not 0 or even close let alone how painful it is to have both every night. 

So, I tried 3 things which if you check leaks1.png looks good (Unless folks can notice other issues) 

1. I changed ASVAuto to ASV while keeping more or less the same settings
2. I would wear my masks (P30i) much lighter than I was (Used to do it tight or close to tight) Now I wear it if it feels comfortable and doesnt feel like it can slide
3. (2) alone was not enough to fix my issue, so I went back to some chin strap that caused me pain before. I had tried this chinstrap before but my desire to make it tight and keep my mouth sealed made it painful so I stopped. When I went back to it, I made sure to wear it as comfortable as it can be. This means I can move my mouth open with slight effort but it is still tight enough where I can tell my head is wrapped and this is important , no jaw or neck pain (never this tight again) Now I don't know why I have had 2 weeks + with close to 0 leaks, I dont know if the chinstrap is tricking my brain while asleep to keep my mouth closed for leaks (because I am definitely a mouth breather) but machine reports few leaks and I wake up with no dry mouth. Glad now I have no need to tape or use collar (For now)

Good luck to us all on this journey to recover and lets keep learning

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaks almost gone experience
While not meaning to argue with you, you may not be a real mouth breather. If you mouthbreathe routinely during the day, then yes you may be a mouthbreather when asleep. On the other hand, if you are not a mouthbreather during the day, it is absolutely possible that your jaw may fall open when you are very relaxed and you exhale accordingly. Either way, you end up with dry mouth. Glad you found a solution that works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 418 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 103 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 139 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 108 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.