Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaks and Hypopnea Index with resmed aircurve 10 ASV
Leaks and Hypopnea Index with resmed aircurve 10 ASV
I was totally amazed when reviewing my numbers today regarding the new use of my resmed aircurve 10 ASV machine.  My AI is .9 and AHI is 2.5 which on VPAP the AHI was never less than 9.  And even better and the reason I was placed on ASV is that there are no centrals.  However, I noticed that the numbers show a hypopnea index of 2.0 and a median leak  of 4.2, and a 95% leak of 5.6.  Should I be concerned with any of the hypopnea index and current leak levels?  Not sure what hypopnea index is.

I currently use nasal pillows and have tried but have difficulty using a full face mask. Perhaps a nasal mask might work better not sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaks and Hypopnea Index with resmed aircurve 10 ASV
Well it sounds like you got the right machine at last - congratulations!

An hypopnea is a partial obstruction - typically airflow is reduced by around 50% for 10 seconds or more. The actual amount of reduction is a bit arbitrary and can vary from one supplier to the other. I don't know if the medical association has a standard definition. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hypopnea

In any case an HI of 2.0 is nothing to be overly worried about. You might try increasing your EPAP Min a bit and see if that improves it.

Your leak numbers are fine, so long as the leaks aren't disturbing you. Many people find that the leaks blow into their eyes or cause farting noises from the cushion. If you're experiencing this type of problem then you should do something about it, but otherwise don't worry.

By the way, it's time to update your profile. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Your leak rate is excellent and not a concern. To have a median of 4.2 and 95% leak of 5.6 means you never approach the large leak threshold. Your hypopnea index may suggest a need for slightly higher EPAP. Are you using ASVauto mode or fixed ASV? A little more information on your settings would help (Mode, range, IPAP max, PSmin, PSmax). We could also look at a daily detail chart and see if your machine is attempting to compensate for the hypopnea. Overall, it looks like very good results. Feeling good?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks deepbreathing for your time in responding.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks sleeprider fir your time in responding.  Yes I am using ASV auto.  I will keep an eye on my hypo numbers but not iverly concerned at this point.  

On another note I am aware of travel CPAP machines but Re there travel ASV machines on the market that you may know about.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also wanted to mention, yes its been a long journey to finally get where I am suppose to be, its just unfortunate that we suffer through the insurance games when all the unneccassry bs could have been avoided by simply moving to an ASV machine quicker.  A CPAP machine, a VPAP machine,  3 sleep studies, 6 visit followups, many sleepless nights, and less productive time.  Did the insurance company really save money??????

Thanks to the boards support through people like yourself and sleeprider and others, it made the journey more informative, encouraging, and provided the needed compassion in understanding and patience.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is no travel format for ASV. The costs of the machines is very high, and market relatively small. Don't hold your breath (pun intended).
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,298 15 minutes ago
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 134 4 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 46 7 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,110 Yesterday, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 67 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 121 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 132 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.