Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaks and liners
Leaks and liners
After only three nights I am giving up on the RemZzzs liners. To recap, I asked Naturs Design which liner to order for use with my Wisp mask. The Wisp is too new on the market for them to list it on their web site. They sent me four samples at no charge to see which ones would fit the Wisp mask. Three of them clearly wouldn't work at all, and I have tried the fourth one, resulting in the worst leaks ever. Last night I hit a peak of 68 L and, looking at SleepyHead, it appears that I was under 24 L for maybe 20% of the night. According to their web site the liners are supposed to help with leaks, but I am getting the opposite results.

The major part of the problem is that I am a very active sleeper. In the consultation with my sleep doc after the sleep study she said I was "thrashing." She did not use the term "restless leg syndrome" or any other medical term, so I am not sure exactly what she meant by "thrashing." She seemed to think that it would go away after getting the sleep apnea under control, but I bet it hasn't, in spite of AHIs almost always under 2. Plus, I sleep on one side and then roll to the other side constantly throughout the night. The mask gets dislodged from all this movement.

The Wisp is my ninth mask. All the others leaked badly too, although most were worse. With all of the nasal masks I tried loosening the headgear, tightening the headgear, and various stages in between. The best luck I had was with the Mirage Vista using its headgear so tight that it almost hurt.

Fortunately, I am not a mouth breather, although I can't stand any mask that places something above my nose. Nasal pillows or nasal masks without a forehead support are fine.

A couple weeks ago I even tried glue. I have a glue stick made by the Post-it ™ notes people. I know this glue is washable as well as repositionable. But it didn't make any difference. I always wash my face well before bed, bu the glue remains tacky for maybe an hour or so, then the oils on my face make it lose its grip. I don't know any way to stop my skin from producing oil.

Mention has been made here of using sealant obtained from a dive shop. I suppose I might find some if I take a trip to the coast, but there are no dive shops here. And anyway, it's winter. I looked on Amazon, but couldn't find any, but I probably lack adequate search-fu.

I also note that some here use silicone ear plugs which they roll out. I looked at ear plugs in local stores, but not one of the packages made any mention of what they are made of. Looking through the plastic bubble they all looked pretty foamy, probably not malleable silicone.

I considered fashioning a full-head mask out of a plastic bag that I could cinch around my neck with a big rubber band. That made me think of glass diving bells. And that made me think of spacesuits. Maybe I could borrow a spacesuit from NASA and use it as a full-body mask.

I could use suggestions, or a line on where I can buy a used spacesuit. Or brand names for sealants and earplugs. I've got to get these leaks under control. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaks and liners
One brand of earplugs is "Macks". Thay say "Silicone Earplugs" right on the package. I've seen them at a few different drugstores (Right Aid, Walgreens, etc) and on Amazon. I've never tried them for masks so I don't know how well they work for that, but have bought them for my daughter to use while swimming to keep her from getting swimmer's ear. There are other brands too, just make sure they are the kind that look like little pieces of wax.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2013, 01:51 PM)JJJ Wrote: I could use suggestions
beside what suggested in the other thread, I don,t have any suggestions other than give Karen from pad a cheek a call and she might be able to custom made a mask liner or/and anti leak straps especially for your mask
padacheek liners are washable

Post Reply Post Reply
search amazon for "Haynes Silicone Grease 1 - 4oz Tube" About $10
Looks like white petrolium jelly.
4 oz should last several lifetimes.
(apply with a clean artist's paintbrush. a thin coat is all you need.)
You can even use it for plumbing issues around the house or on your automobile!
(assuming you dont get the stuff contaminated with dirt)

Cheers!
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

I am sorry the RemZZs did not work for you. They are working so far for my husband, who got them mainly because his nose was red and itchy.

Did you try Quietus Liners? They look a lot like the RemZZZ liners but one side is "tackier/stickier" than the other side. They can be washed and re-used as well (REMzzs apparently can too but the Quietus people actually say that on the package).

(02-14-2013, 01:51 PM)JJJ Wrote: After only three nights I am giving up on the RemZzzs liners. To recap, I asked Naturs Design which liner to order for use with my Wisp mask. The Wisp is too new on the market for them to list it on their web site. They sent me four samples at no charge to see which ones would fit the Wisp mask. Three of them clearly wouldn't work at all, and I have tried the fourth one, resulting in the worst leaks ever. Last night I hit a peak of 68 L and, looking at SleepyHead, it appears that I was under 24 L for maybe 20% of the night. According to their web site the liners are supposed to help with leaks, but I am getting the opposite results.

The major part of the problem is that I am a very active sleeper. In the consultation with my sleep doc after the sleep study she said I was "thrashing." She did not use the term "restless leg syndrome" or any other medical term, so I am not sure exactly what she meant by "thrashing." She seemed to think that it would go away after getting the sleep apnea under control, but I bet it hasn't, in spite of AHIs almost always under 2. Plus, I sleep on one side and then roll to the other side constantly throughout the night. The mask gets dislodged from all this movement.

The Wisp is my ninth mask. All the others leaked badly too, although most were worse. With all of the nasal masks I tried loosening the headgear, tightening the headgear, and various stages in between. The best luck I had was with the Mirage Vista using its headgear so tight that it almost hurt.

Fortunately, I am not a mouth breather, although I can't stand any mask that places something above my nose. Nasal pillows or nasal masks without a forehead support are fine.

A couple weeks ago I even tried glue. I have a glue stick made by the Post-it ™ notes people. I know this glue is washable as well as repositionable. But it didn't make any difference. I always wash my face well before bed, bu the glue remains tacky for maybe an hour or so, then the oils on my face make it lose its grip. I don't know any way to stop my skin from producing oil.

Mention has been made here of using sealant obtained from a dive shop. I suppose I might find some if I take a trip to the coast, but there are no dive shops here. And anyway, it's winter. I looked on Amazon, but couldn't find any, but I probably lack adequate search-fu.

I also note that some here use silicone ear plugs which they roll out. I looked at ear plugs in local stores, but not one of the packages made any mention of what they are made of. Looking through the plastic bubble they all looked pretty foamy, probably not malleable silicone.

I considered fashioning a full-head mask out of a plastic bag that I could cinch around my neck with a big rubber band. That made me think of glass diving bells. And that made me think of spacesuits. Maybe I could borrow a spacesuit from NASA and use it as a full-body mask.

I could use suggestions, or a line on where I can buy a used spacesuit. Or brand names for sealants and earplugs. I've got to get these leaks under control. Sad

Post Reply Post Reply
JJJ, another possibility if you're having problems with leaks is to change your mask. Personally, I have had much success with the Mirage Activa LT mask. I've even gotten a reading of 0.0 and 0.1 L this week. Just a thought - the problem may not be with the liner but with the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2013, 05:10 PM)SPOUSE Wrote: I am sorry the RemZZs did not work for you. They are working so far for my husband, who got them mainly because his nose was red and itchy.
Did you try Quietus Liners? They look a lot like the RemZZZ liners but one side is "tackier/stickier" than the other side. They can be washed and re-used as well (REMzzs apparently can too but the Quietus people actually say that on the package).

I am glad you said that about the Quietus liners. I assumed they were similar to the RemZzzs liners, which have no stickiness at all. I will order some tomorrow. Not sure if the stickiness will help, but I'll try anything.Okay
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2013, 08:17 PM)GaryG Wrote: JJJ, another possibility if you're having problems with leaks is to change your mask. Personally, I have had much success with the Mirage Activa LT mask. I've even gotten a reading of 0.0 and 0.1 L this week. Just a thought - the problem may not be with the liner but with the mask.

I'd be happy to try another mask, but I just cannot tolerate anything in front of my eyes. That includes the forehead support on the Mirage Activa LT.

Besides, I've already tried nine masks and they all leak badly. That leads me to the empirical deduction that the problem is my sleeping behavior, not the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
JJJ,

I just this week got a new full face mask. It is a Quattro FX. This mask is GREAT!!! It is the first mask I've ever used that didn't leak, even when I sleep on my side or roll over. It doesn't have that terrible head support. It looks like a nasal mask, but a little longer, like about 2/3's the length of a full mask. Fits from the chin to the middle of the nose so it doesn't make the bridge of the nose sore. ResMed clams that it will hold a pressure of up to 18 without leaking.

If I want to, I can wear my glasses and read or watch TV with it on.

I think I like it.
TheOldMan
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2013, 10:33 PM)JJJ Wrote: I am glad you said that about the Quietus liners. I assumed they were similar to the RemZzzs liners, which have no stickiness at all. I will order some tomorrow. Not sure if the stickiness will help, but I'll try anything.

I couldn't find the Wisp mask listed on the Quietus web site, so I called them. The nice man who answered the phone said that they did, indeed, have liners for the Wisp. (It's been out only a month or so.) Once he pointed me to the right page and how to find the liners for the Wisp, I ordered them.

I should add that the stickiness of the Quietus liners is an option. You can get them with or without. Naturally, I opted for the stickiness. I hope they glue the Wisp so securely to my face that I'll need a jackhammer to get it off in the morning. Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 285 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 140 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 108 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 502 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.