Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaks and liners
RE: Leaks and liners
(02-15-2013, 11:33 AM)TheOldMan Wrote: ResMed clams that it will hold a pressure of up to 18 without leaking.

ResMed is being conservative in their claim. I can attest that the Quattro FX will hold 20cmH2O without any leaks when properly adjusted as long as you don't expect it to hold up under a wide pressure range.

My pressure goes back and forth between 16 and 19 and usually snuggles up to 20 at least a couple times every night and I usually get 0 leaks. Every once in a while I get lazy and don't shave before bed and I get leaks fairly steady at about 3 to 5 Lpm. Lately I've been waking up in the morning and, panicking a little, reach up to make sure it's still on because I can't feel it.

The Quattro FX is like most masks, though. Some of us love it and have no problems with it - some can't stand it and can't get it to stop leaking, etc.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2013, 10:37 PM)JJJ Wrote:
(02-14-2013, 08:17 PM)GaryG Wrote: JJJ, another possibility if you're having problems with leaks is to change your mask. Personally, I have had much success with the Mirage Activa LT mask. I've even gotten a reading of 0.0 and 0.1 L this week. Just a thought - the problem may not be with the liner but with the mask.

I'd be happy to try another mask, but I just cannot tolerate anything in front of my eyes. That includes the forehead support on the Mirage Activa LT.

Besides, I've already tried nine masks and they all leak badly. That leads me to the empirical deduction that the problem is my sleeping behavior, not the mask.
I'm using a Pad-A-Cheek cover for the forehead support actually. And I think I've been thru more than 9 masks, I lost count. You can't make a mask work if it doesn't want to. Sounds strange, but you really have to keep trying.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2013, 07:32 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote:
(02-15-2013, 11:33 AM)TheOldMan Wrote: ResMed clams that it will hold a pressure of up to 18 without leaking.

The Quattro FX is like most masks, though. Some of us love it and have no problems with it - some can't stand it and can't get it to stop leaking, etc.

Sleep-well

The other masks I've used are the Phillips FULL face mask, the one that covers your whole face, eyes and everything). I didn't much like it but it was better than having the bridge of my nose ground up to the point it was bleeding. The mask before that was the Mirage Quattro.

My Quattro FX is a size medium. It may be a little small. A couple of times I woke up with the chin portion in my mouth (mouth open). But you know what? It still didn't leak!!!

TheoldMan
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2013, 07:01 PM)JJJ Wrote:
(02-14-2013, 10:33 PM)JJJ Wrote: I am glad you said that about the Quietus liners. I assumed they were similar to the RemZzzs liners, which have no stickiness at all. I will order some tomorrow. Not sure if the stickiness will help, but I'll try anything.

I couldn't find the Wisp mask listed on the Quietus web site, so I called them. The nice man who answered the phone said that they did, indeed, have liners for the Wisp. (It's been out only a month or so.) Once he pointed me to the right page and how to find the liners for the Wisp, I ordered them.

I should add that the stickiness of the Quietus liners is an option. You can get them with or without. Naturally, I opted for the stickiness. I hope they glue the Wisp so securely to my face that I'll need a jackhammer to get it off in the morning. Laugh-a-lot

Good luck! Glad you got the sticky ones; that should help with leaks. Makes the mask stay in place better from what I can tell. The sticky part touches the mask, not your face. Keep us posted!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2013, 11:33 AM)TheOldMan Wrote: JJJ,

I just this week got a new full face mask. It is a Quattro FX. This mask is GREAT!!! It is the first mask I've ever used that didn't leak, even when I sleep on my side or roll over. It doesn't have that terrible head support. It looks like a nasal mask, but a little longer, like about 2/3's the length of a full mask. Fits from the chin to the middle of the nose so it doesn't make the bridge of the nose sore. ResMed clams that it will hold a pressure of up to 18 without leaking.

If I want to, I can wear my glasses and read or watch TV with it on.

I think I like it.
TheOldMan

I have one too. At first it didn't leak. But now it blows air into my eyes. Looks as if the medium size is too small and the large size too big . You're absolutely right about the mask NOT making the bridge of the nose sore. I tried enough to know. Even spent $20 on a gel cushion which didn't help at all. Just have to fool around some more to get the Quattro FX working again!

Post Reply Post Reply
SleepyTime is right.
The Q-FX is a comfortable mask. Getting any mask to work without leaks though is an art form.

:/
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
JJJ - did you get the Quietus liners and how do they work?

(02-15-2013, 07:01 PM)JJJ Wrote:
(02-14-2013, 10:33 PM)JJJ Wrote: I am glad you said that about the Quietus liners. I assumed they were similar to the RemZzzs liners, which have no stickiness at all. I will order some tomorrow. Not sure if the stickiness will help, but I'll try anything.

I couldn't find the Wisp mask listed on the Quietus web site, so I called them. The nice man who answered the phone said that they did, indeed, have liners for the Wisp. (It's been out only a month or so.) Once he pointed me to the right page and how to find the liners for the Wisp, I ordered them.

I should add that the stickiness of the Quietus liners is an option. You can get them with or without. Naturally, I opted for the stickiness. I hope they glue the Wisp so securely to my face that I'll need a jackhammer to get it off in the morning. Laugh-a-lot

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2013, 10:10 PM)SPOUSE Wrote: JJJ - did you get the Quietus liners and how do they work?

Yes, I got them. I got the sticky ones, but either someone put the non-sticky ones in the envelope, or the stickiness is so slight that I couldn't detect it. I tried to place the liner on the mask, but as soon as I moved my head down to put the mask on the slight movement of my hand caused the liner to float off onto the floor. Eventually I gave up and placed the liner over my nose with my head tilted back. At least my nose kept it from sliding off while I put the mask on.

The Quietus liners fit the Wisp much better, but in the morning my leak rates were just as bad as without. I tried them for four nights and gave up. They are useless for stopping leaks.

At the moment I am experimenting with silicone grease (finally found a SCUBA equipment shop). Last night was my first night, and in the morning I noted that my leaks were just as bad as before.

I don't think my leaks are caused by a badly fitting mask. They are caused by pulling / pushing the mask away from my face as I roll from side to side every 15-20 minutes during the night. That's the problem I need to address. Anyone have any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
Where do you route your hose? I get the least amount of pulling when it is going toward my forehead, to the headboard, then turning to the side. It just pivots with me.

The problem with these newer, lightweight masks is they are so easy to dislodge.

Have you tried the Breeze? Lying on my back is the only time I get mask movement.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
So sorry the liners did not help.

I used to do that a lot and do not anymore. What has changed for me (not sure which was the cause): I stopped drinking caffeine. I lost 25 pounds. I got my thyroid levels checked and actually had my prescription for synthroid (for low thyroid) lowered. And I practice good sleep hygiene (no TV in bedroom; go to sleep and wake up at about the same time every day). And I am getting so much more sleep now that my husband in on CPAP!

Do you toss and turn because you cannot get to sleep? Do you wake up when you toss and turn?

(03-02-2013, 11:05 PM)JJJ Wrote:
(03-02-2013, 10:10 PM)SPOUSE Wrote: JJJ - did you get the Quietus liners and how do they work?

Yes, I got them. I got the sticky ones, but either someone put the non-sticky ones in the envelope, or the stickiness is so slight that I couldn't detect it. I tried to place the liner on the mask, but as soon as I moved my head down to put the mask on the slight movement of my hand caused the liner to float off onto the floor. Eventually I gave up and placed the liner over my nose with my head tilted back. At least my nose kept it from sliding off while I put the mask on.

The Quietus liners fit the Wisp much better, but in the morning my leak rates were just as bad as without. I tried them for four nights and gave up. They are useless for stopping leaks.

At the moment I am experimenting with silicone grease (finally found a SCUBA equipment shop). Last night was my first night, and in the morning I noted that my leaks were just as bad as before.

I don't think my leaks are caused by a badly fitting mask. They are caused by pulling / pushing the mask away from my face as I roll from side to side every 15-20 minutes during the night. That's the problem I need to address. Anyone have any ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 139 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 108 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 501 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.