Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaks and liners
RE: Leaks and liners
(03-02-2013, 11:28 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The problem with these newer, lightweight masks is they are so easy to dislodge.

I can't handle anything in front of my eyes. Therefore the hose has to go off to the side. And masks with forehead supports are also out. As you point out, that is part of the problem - the masks I can tolerate don't have much holding them on my face.

Thank goodness at least I never breathe through my mouth.

I'm beginning to think that my constant rolling back and forth is not normal. I'm wondering if a light sedative at night might calm me down. Might also help with the constant waking up during the night. But sedatives are scary. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2013, 11:35 PM)SPOUSE Wrote: Do you toss and turn because you cannot get to sleep? Do you wake up when you toss and turn?

No, I do not toss and turn before going to sleep. I don't actually "toss and turn." I just roll from one side to the other while asleep, like naturally changing my position. Everyone does that, but I don't think every 15-20 minutes is normal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to barge in, Have you tried chinstrap
Chinstrap worn over the mask, helps keep the mask in place
Post Reply Post Reply

If you don't wake up how do you know you turn over that much?

I am thinking that a video of your sleep might help figure this out.

Also a picture of your mask would help visualize how it comes loose when you turn over. Remind us which of the two masks in your profile you are currently using.

(03-03-2013, 12:05 AM)JJJ Wrote:
(03-02-2013, 11:35 PM)SPOUSE Wrote: Do you toss and turn because you cannot get to sleep? Do you wake up when you toss and turn?

No, I do not toss and turn before going to sleep. I don't actually "toss and turn." I just roll from one side to the other while asleep, like naturally changing my position. Everyone does that, but I don't think every 15-20 minutes is normal.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, JJJ.

You're just going to have to wear a *space helmet*.
That way you won't leak or dislodge anything. Smile
Infrared sleep video. I has it!
If you are a thrasher/back sleeper/or stand on your head, but don't remember any of it, this will reveal it!

In all seriousness, I think getting ahold of a mask that doesn't leak for you is priority one.
Everyone has different facial contours. That must drive designers nuts.
I found another product, Marine Sports mfg. Mask Seal.
Looks like chapstick but it's full of silicone grease for the scuba diver's mask.
Supposed to be good for folks with mustaches etc.
It's about $7.50.
I'll let you all know how it works.

Cheers!
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2013, 09:33 AM)SPOUSE Wrote: If you don't wake up how do you know you turn over that much? I am thinking that a video of your sleep might help figure this out.

They recorded a video of my during my sleep study. Based on that the doc said I rolled back and forth, sometimes staying on my back for a bit as well. She said I was on my right side about a third of the time, on my left side almost half the time, and on my back the rest of the time. I have also been told by people who have slept with me that I am "all over the bed."

(03-03-2013, 10:47 AM)Shastzi Wrote: I found another product, Marine Sports mfg. Mask Seal. Looks like chapstick but it's full of silicone grease for the scuba diver's mask. Supposed to be good for folks with mustaches etc.
It's about $7.50. I'll let you all know how it works.

Do report back on how it works. In my case I already tried the silicone grease (obtained from a dive shop). It didn't help a bit. If anything, I think it made things worse. My guess is that it acted as a lubricant, making it even harder to keep the mask in place.

The Wisp that I am currently using is my ninth mask. Some leaked worse than others, but all leaked too much. My conclusion is that changing masks is not going to help much. It's the moving around that is causing the problem.

I am considering sacrificing a Wisp cushion to an experiment. I plan to cut the thin filmy flange off down to the harder part. Then I will tighten up the head straps to the max. I will probably have red marks on my face in the morning, but if it will hold the mask in place it may solve the leaking problem. I have already tried loosening the head straps and also tightening them, and I get better results the tighter I go.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2013, 01:21 PM)JJJ Wrote: My conclusion is that changing masks is not going to help much. It's the moving around that is causing the problem.

That moving around while sleeping should abate as you adjust to CPAP therapy. Has there been any improvement in your ability to stay asleep longer than a couple hours?

I know that in my case, even though I had a lot of trouble adapting to CPAP therapy, I have noticed improvement in both of those areas. The improvement has been slow and gradual.

You are going to have to come up with some creative ways to keep your mask in place. Do you use a small CPAP pillow? These reduce the likelihood that your mask will rub against your pillow.

Look for masks with lots of straps. Wear a chin strap so that you have additional ways to keep your mask in place.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Wisp looks like a good mask. Does not touch much of your nose and the straps are in a different place than most. Wish we had seen that one a few months ago before all the red nose time!

Quote:The Wisp that I am currently using is my ninth mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
I couldn't use the RemZzzs at all. I was so disappointed. Then I read on this thread about the Quietus Liner. I purchased some and have used them with great success for three nights. I was a little careless with placement of the liner on the mask the second night and I developed a leak during the night. To my amazement I was able to reposition the mask successfully without losing the Quietus Liner, probably because of the stickier side.

When the mask leaked with the RemZzz in, I tried repositioning the mask without success and I ended up jerking it out and tossing it across the room and went back to using the mask without the liner (I get a little testy when my sleep is disturbed and I can't fix it and when it has gone on and on, night after night).

Gloria
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to hear the Quietus liners work for you! We bought every type of liner we could find and my husband has settled on the REMzzz but the Quietus seemed to work just as well.

(03-08-2013, 09:33 PM)Alzwell Wrote: I couldn't use the RemZzzs at all. I was so disappointed. Then I read on this thread about the Quietus Liner. I purchased some and have used them with great success for three nights. I was a little careless with placement of the liner on the mask the second night and I developed a leak during the night. To my amazement I was able to reposition the mask successfully without losing the Quietus Liner, probably because of the stickier side.

When the mask leaked with the RemZzz in, I tried repositioning the mask without success and I ended up jerking it out and tossing it across the room and went back to using the mask without the liner (I get a little testy when my sleep is disturbed and I can't fix it and when it has gone on and on, night after night).

Gloria

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 159 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 106 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 759 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.