Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaks and liners
RE: Leaks and liners
(03-16-2013, 11:34 AM)JJJ Wrote: More interestingly, my pressure last night hit the 18 cm. max that the machine is set to and my 95% pressure was also 18.00, with a median of 14.82. The AHI was still OK with only two obstructive apneas and two hypopneas, but it's looking like I need to raise the pressures yet again.

If your AHI is low, and you slept relatively well, why would you want to raise the pressure? Especially when you've had so much trouble with leaks.

Quote:My only complaint is that putting the liners on the cushion, then putting the mask on, then putting the chin strap on is real production. Previously I just got undressed, crawled into bed, slid the mask on and hit the button on the machine. Now it takes several minutes to get into bed. But it's worth it. Smile

You'll get used to it!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah yes. Those were the days, when one could just flop in bed and go to sleep.

Now it's more a like checklist for a Lunar Launch.

#1. Check that CPAP machine is powered down/unplugged. Power down and/or unplug if it still has power on.
#2. Remove all CPAP connection plugs. (you dont leave all those hose connections open all day do you? Yeek!)
#3. Inspect CPAP for security/holes/dirt and any bugs/spiders that may have moved in.
#4. Inspect water tank for any of above issues.
#5. Correct any discrepencies.
#6. Fill water tank with distilled water and install in machine (no spilling!)
#7. Remove hose plugs and inspect for security/holes/cracks/dirt and any left over bugs/spiders that may have moved in.

#8. Correct any discrepencies.
#9. Inspect mask for above discrepencies and correct any issues. Mask should be clean and free of grease. (like your face!)

#10. Check that CPAP SD memory card is in place and properly seated.
#11. Connect all hoses and mask to CPAP. Route the hose(es) as needed to prevent fouling.
#12. Power up the CPAP.
#13. Check time onboard CPAP and correct (if possible)
#14. Install mask on face and start up mask leak test routine. Yell at cat for playing with the air hose (if applicable)
#15. Check that humidifier is heating properly (ResMed S9 has a red light and becomes warm to touch)
#16. After fixing any leaks verify that ClimateLine (heated) hose is warming up. (if one is being used)
#17. Start up the CPAP and verify proper operation.
#18. Now you are ready to go to bed!
#19. Roger Houston! We are go for main engines start!

Oh Crud.
Now I have to go to the bathroom...

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2013, 01:51 PM)JJJ Wrote: After only three nights I am giving up on the RemZzzs liners. To recap, I asked Naturs Design which liner to order for use with my Wisp mask. The Wisp is too new on the market for them to list it on their web site. They sent me four samples at no charge to see which ones would fit the Wisp mask. Three of them clearly wouldn't work at all, and I have tried the fourth one, resulting in the worst leaks ever. Last night I hit a peak of 68 L and, looking at SleepyHead, it appears that I was under 24 L for maybe 20% of the night. According to their web site the liners are supposed to help with leaks, but I am getting the opposite results.

The major part of the problem is that I am a very active sleeper. In the consultation with my sleep doc after the sleep study she said I was "thrashing." She did not use the term "restless leg syndrome" or any other medical term, so I am not sure exactly what she meant by "thrashing." She seemed to think that it would go away after getting the sleep apnea under control, but I bet it hasn't, in spite of AHIs almost always under 2. Plus, I sleep on one side and then roll to the other side constantly throughout the night. The mask gets dislodged from all this movement.

The Wisp is my ninth mask. All the others leaked badly too, although most were worse. With all of the nasal masks I tried loosening the headgear, tightening the headgear, and various stages in between. The best luck I had was with the Mirage Vista using its headgear so tight that it almost hurt.

Fortunately, I am not a mouth breather, although I can't stand any mask that places something above my nose. Nasal pillows or nasal masks without a forehead support are fine.

A couple weeks ago I even tried glue. I have a glue stick made by the Post-it ™ notes people. I know this glue is washable as well as repositionable. But it didn't make any difference. I always wash my face well before bed, bu the glue remains tacky for maybe an hour or so, then the oils on my face make it lose its grip. I don't know any way to stop my skin from producing oil.

Mention has been made here of using sealant obtained from a dive shop. I suppose I might find some if I take a trip to the coast, but there are no dive shops here. And anyway, it's winter. I looked on Amazon, but couldn't find any, but I probably lack adequate search-fu.

I also note that some here use silicone ear plugs which they roll out. I looked at ear plugs in local stores, but not one of the packages made any mention of what they are made of. Looking through the plastic bubble they all looked pretty foamy, probably not malleable silicone.

I considered fashioning a full-head mask out of a plastic bag that I could cinch around my neck with a big rubber band. That made me think of glass diving bells. And that made me think of spacesuits. Maybe I could borrow a spacesuit from NASA and use it as a full-body mask.

I could use suggestions, or a line on where I can buy a used spacesuit. Or brand names for sealants and earplugs. I've got to get these leaks under control. Sad

JJJ I to have had very bad results with mask leaks I unlike I'm just starting out down this road. What suba divers use is called mustash wax on there mask to hlep leaks, I'm trying 100% lanilon had to order from USA to get good price 1.4 grams in Canada $12.00 PLUS TAX 7oz in USA $5.99. I'm thinking of trying Quietus Mask Liners from USA they are thicker than Remzzzs are reusable and are sticky on one side. Don't know much about gel filled liners yet,I'm checking other web sites for user information. Waiting for two new style masks from USA (LA) when my wife returns from Florida to save on shipping. ( $40.00 US). Hope giving products names is ok I guess I will find out. Hope this information willl help. Ken
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2013, 09:50 AM)KEN Wrote: I to have had very bad results with mask leaks I unlike I'm just starting out down this road. What suba divers use is called mustash wax on there mask to hlep leaks, I'm trying 100% lanilon had to order from USA to get good price 1.4 grams in Canada $12.00 PLUS TAX 7oz in USA $5.99. I'm thinking of trying Quietus Mask Liners from USA they are thicker than Remzzzs are reusable and are sticky on one side. Don't know much about gel filled liners yet,I'm checking other web sites for user information. Waiting for two new style masks from USA (LA) when my wife returns from Florida to save on shipping. ( $40.00 US). Hope giving products names is ok I guess I will find out. Hope this information willl help.

I tried the mustache wax from a dive shop, but it didn't help a bit. I also tried rolling out silicone earplugs to use as a liner, but that also did nothing. My most recent attempt was liners from RemZzz and Quietus. The Quietus liners work better; I assume because they are thicker. But even the liners didn't do much to cut back on leaks. Then one of the RemZzz people said to use two liners with medical jelly. I tried it first with the RemZzz liners and got some improvement in the leaks, so then I tried it with the Quietus liners and it was even better. Eventually I went to a fabric store and bought some cloth that appeared identical to the fabric that the Quietus liners were made of. This is far cheaper.

You can order the Quietus liners with or without the sticky coating. I ordered them with the coating, but when they arrived they weren't sticky at all. It looked line someone had coated one side, sort of like that stuff they put on furniture fabric so water will run off.

I apply the medical jelly* to one side of one liner and place the jelly side against the cushion, then repeat with a second liner, applying the second liner to the first liner. They said to use an oil based face cream to your face as well.

*In the U.S. the biggest brand name for medical jelly is KY, but there are others that are far cheaper. (Make sure it is water based). The KY costs about $6 for a 4 oz. tube. I don't know if you have Dollar Stores there, but I found a 2 oz. tube (some funny brand) for $1, which is as cheap as you can get it. One tube lasts me a couple weeks or more.

It's working, but it takes me five minutes to get ready for bed now. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 446 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 366 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 146 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 561 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 914 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 380 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 1,047 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.