Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaks are so confusing...
RE: Leaks are so confusing...
I just had a learning experience regarding leaks. For a while with my FFM I was getting 95% leaks at 10 l/min and below. I kept wondering where the miscellaneous leaks were coming from. Tried a number of things including new cushions, new headgear, refitting over and over. Nothing seemed to make much difference.

I started wearing my chin strap consistently due to other reasons and found that my 95% leak rate is consistently zero. In fact I fairly frequently get 4 zeros for leak rate.

My take away from this experience is that I have been causing leaks with movements of my mouth. I know from testing that i can cause a leak in the lower portion of the mask by various facial movements like a wide grimace.or a big yawn. Apparently the chin strap reduces my facial movements during my sleep. I have a definite love/hate relationship with my chin strap but it has proven its value in my case.

If you can not feel any leaks when going to sleep or waking up and at the higherst pressure used then the leaks are probably mouth leaks of one sort or another.

best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaks are so confusing...
(04-26-2016, 01:59 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: I'm trying to figure out how to tell if my leaks are from my mouth being open or if my Swift is simply leaking too much. How do you tell from the data?

I know of no way, other than wearing it for a bit while awake, and perhaps laying down and moving around like you're sleeping, but keep your mouth shut.... then check the data.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 0 8 20 minutes ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 120 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 130 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 85 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 4 191 03-09-2024, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 455 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 699 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.