Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Remote changes to my Airsense 10 settings
Remote changes to my Airsense 10 settings
My local CPAP machine provider called me today. They had sent my first two weeks data dump to my doctor for review. My Airsense 10 sends the data to them daily via a cell phone network. The doctor recommended an increase in my pressure setting since I was maxing out at the set maximum pressure of 10. My events per hour have been averaging about 8, down from a sleep study number of 82 per hour. The provider called me this afternoon an told me that they had increased my maximum pressure to 15. I was at work at the time.

This is a very convenient service. According to the SleepyHead software, they had made changes a few days after I began using the machine. They didn't inform me about that incident. I just find it a little disconcerting that someone can log into my machine over the cell phone network and make changes. Could they or a hacker do that while I am using the machine? Heck, the US Dept. of Defense was just hacked and I am sure their security is much better than the local sleep study center.

Maybe I should select the airplane mode?????

Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Remote changes to my Airsense 10 settings
You're not the first to have concerns.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Many of us looked at that same thing. Most of us decided hackers were unlikely to be interested in a simple machine and more interested in other targets. I don't think anyone at Anonymous would be getting bragging rights about changing your pressures.
So be aware, but don't be overly concerned.

It is important for you to know your machine, it's settings and how to adjust them on your own if/when you want to. Keep in mind that if your DME is changing your settings, someone is paying them for that monitoring and adjusting service!

Since you read your own data, you will likely soon be doing your own adjustments and tweaks. Though to be honest, the longer one uses the machine, the less pressure adjusting is needed, because the all the "sweet spots" for pressure, humidity, EPR, ramp, etc. are found.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Trailrider, I wish I could have been in on the decision loop. I have been studying the information available here and at other internet sites. I thought it would have been good to raise the level to twelve initially to see how that worked. But what do I know? I do know how to set the machine. The next time I actually see the doctor, I will ask her how long this "personalized" monitoring is going to last. Since I move often for work, it may become a moot point in the not too distant future.

Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2015, 07:07 PM)foss Wrote: The doctor recommended an increase in my pressure setting since I was maxing out at the set maximum pressure of 10. My events per hour have been averaging about 8, down from a sleep study number of 82 per hour. The provider called me this afternoon an told me that they had increased my maximum pressure to 15. I was at work at the time.
Have they increased the minimum pressure or just the maximum pressure, profile shows ... CPAP Pressure: 5 - 15
Whats the breakdown of AHI events and leaks

They only get summary data and compliance data transmitted, detailed data available on the SD card
I would be concerned making changes remotely, based on numbers alone without the availability of detailed data and face to face with the doctor

Post Reply Post Reply
Big business is terrible about computer security these days. I suspect it's possible for someone to hack the system and change your pressure settings.

However, I think it's unlikely to be a problem with your CPAP settings. There doesn't seem to be much profit in doing it. Computer crime is much more profit based these days instead of being teenage pranks.

If anything, they'd probably hack the servers of whoever runs the system that adjusts your pressure. Even then, they'd probably just steal credit card or identity theft data, not your therapy data and they wouldn't tamper with your settings. Disabling the cell modem wouldn't affect that.

Hacking, software bugs, or operator error in the servers might accidentally change your settings. A disgruntled employee might maliciously change people's settings.

All of the above are unlikely enough to cause problems that I wouldn't worry about it and I'm a professional paranoid.

I suspect the biggest risk is that your DME or doctor's office might accidentally mess up your settings.

I think the benefit outweighs the risk in most cases.

If you've changed your own pressure settings, they might notice and change them back. The system might even automatically change them back at some time. I suspect even that's unlikely. Most of the time, they only look at the compliance info so they can ring the cash register.

If something weird happens, be sure you know how to read your data and check the settings. That applies even if you don't have a wireless modem.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2015, 07:07 PM)foss Wrote: My local CPAP machine provider called me today. They had sent my first two weeks data dump to my doctor for review. My Airsense 10 sends the data to them daily via a cell phone network. The doctor recommended an increase in my pressure setting since I was maxing out at the set maximum pressure of 10. My events per hour have been averaging about 8, down from a sleep study number of 82 per hour. The provider called me this afternoon an told me that they had increased my maximum pressure to 15. I was at work at the time.

This is a very convenient service. According to the SleepyHead software, they had made changes a few days after I began using the machine. They didn't inform me about that incident. I just find it a little disconcerting that someone can log into my machine over the cell phone network and make changes. Could they or a hacker do that while I am using the machine? Heck, the US Dept. of Defense was just hacked and I am sure their security is much better than the local sleep study center.

Jeff
Yeah that is really lame in my opinion. If they did that to me I would change it to where I wanted it. Why would ur doc make such a big change. I am surprised he didn't increase it to say 12 or something. 15 is a huge change and if it were me my doc would have some explaining to do. My doc won't touch mine as I don't have compliance checks.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, they should also increase your minimum pressure. A base pressure of 5 is not very functional for someone that requires more than 10 cmH2O to stent the airway.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
/*They only get summary data and compliance data transmitted, detailed data available on the SD card
I would be concerned making changes remotely, based on numbers alone without the availability of detailed data and face to face with the doctor */

I assumed that they receive detailed data, not just summary data. Almost all of my events are listed as obstructive, very little in the way of central. My leakage is never indicated as an issue. I sometimes wake up with leaks or itches and readjust the mask to obtain a good seal. The machine always reports that I have removed the mask several more times than I actually do. This weekend when I have more time to learn the sleepyhead software, I will export a graph and display it for comment.

When I asked the lady at the sleep center if there was a followup with the doc, she said it would be up to me to schedule one, they just send the data to the doc and she calls in the changes to make.

At the end of the first month, I am going to schedule an appointment and take along the data chip and see if she can read its data and receive advice from there.

Thank you, Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='foss' pid='119296' dateline='1435190842']
My local CPAP machine provider called me today. They had sent my first two weeks data dump to my doctor for review. My Airsense 10 sends the data to them daily via a cell phone network. The doctor recommended an increase in my pressure setting since I was maxing out at the set maximum pressure of 10. My events per hour have been averaging about 8, down from a sleep study number of 82 per hour. The provider called me this afternoon an told me that they had increased my maximum pressure to 15. I was at work at the time.

Jeff
[Maybe I should select the airplane mode?????]

If it will help you sleep better at night, just put it on airplane mode when using it. If your provider needs to access data for insurance (compliance) purposes, be sure to turn off airplane mode when you wake up.Sleep-well
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,183 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Settings help for AirSense sleepyalpha 19 1,147 12-24-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 828 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Please explain airsense term on clinical settings rebean 2 513 08-11-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: rebean
  Is remote manipulation of CPAP data, like AHI, possible? Cam12 3 608 05-25-2023, 01:14 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Equipment] Need help choosing between Airsense 10 C2C or regular Airsense 10/11 dabrat76 10 1,624 03-16-2023, 08:20 AM
Last Post: dabrat76

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.