Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Leaks] reduced leaks thanks to OSCAR
[Leaks] reduced leaks thanks to OSCAR
I've had an AirSense 10 since 2015 and got an AirSense 11 on 9/7/22.  Since I've never gotten any help from my PCP or DME I decided it was time to take more control of my apnea.  Found this site and OSCAR on 9/8 and imported AS10 data.  One thing I noticed as a lot of Large Leaks, often in clusters.  My AHIs were all below 3 with most under 2.  So, the past few days I've reviewed the OSCAR stats and compared with the times that I've changed position and could see that the leaks corresponded with position changes.  I noticed that when on my left side I had more leaks than right side!  I then noticed that the edge of the pillow was pushing the frame strut up and causing a leak.  So, I made sure that when I went to bed and after every position change that the edge of the pillow nestled against the edge of the mask but didn't cover it.  Last night I only had one cluster and had a Leak Rate of Med: 3.6 and 95% 16.80 with a AHI of .39!

I've looked into other masks than the P10, but now that I understand the mechanics involved with the P10 I'm going to stick with it.  Reviews of others reveal a lot of exhalation air drying eyes and blowing on body, which is why I switched to P10 from a RESMED nasal mask.  In addition, several other mask's straps didn't stay in place whereas the P10 straps work great (tried a 3rd party strap from Amazon that I returned because it fell off).

BTW, I like the AS11.  More quiet than AS10, as it developed a very annoying deep hum at the end of exhalation.  It updates MyAir, but I use OSCAR every day to see how I did.  MyAir isn't very useful as it doesn't let user see details.

Happy CPAPer
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [Leaks] reduced leaks thanks to OSCAR
Withtao - I understand what you said. One question: how do correlate your changes in position and your leaks. Do you take a video of yourself sleeping (time stamped) so you can correlate? I am curious because I would like to make a comparison on this myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [Leaks] reduced leaks thanks to OSCAR
I have a pad and paper and record when I awake and which side I was on.  I don't move much in my sleep so it's pretty relevant.  I know that some of my leaks are caused while sleeping, without a position change, but are less frequent when I make sure I've positioned the mask and pillow correctly before I fall asleep.  It's not perfick, but helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 443 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 354 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 143 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 560 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 904 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 375 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 1,041 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.