Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaks vs AHI
RE: Leaks vs AHI
(12-01-2018, 07:17 PM)Lowhypopnea Wrote: Just talked to my CPAP tech today.  She says that the manufacturers are saying leaks above 25L/min may or may not affect AHI scoring.  How is that for a definitive answer.

There's a link below called beginner's guide to sleepyhead. In it there's a large section on leaks. You might find it useful.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2018, 07:17 PM)Lowhypopnea Wrote: Just talked to my CPAP tech today.  She says that the manufacturers are saying leaks above 25L/min may or may not affect AHI scoring.  How is that for a definitive answer.

"Talked to my CPAP tech today" made me wonder, did I talk with someone with an IQ or not.

Did this tech also predict the weather? Partly cloudy to partly sunny tomorrow. Chance of rain or snow. 100% dark tonight night, followed by scattered sunlight tomorrow.
lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2018, 09:07 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:

"Talked to my CPAP tech today" made me wonder, did I talk with someone with an IQ or not.

Did this tech also predict the weather? Partly cloudy to partly sunny tomorrow. Chance of rain or snow. 100% dark tonight night, followed by scattered sunlight tomorrow.
lots-o-coffee

Got your point, SD.

Lowhypopnea, the CPAP tech said may or may not so really leaving the case wide open............... as you know not definitive at all.

Resmed machines do not consider leaks below 24l/min a 'proper' leak so I do not worry about mine below that. But as others have noted a very high leak rate would skew AHI reporting.

Always the best test of good treatment is how we feel after the nights sleep. At times I feel good with a relatively higher AHI score than even AHI 0. Depends on length of sleep etc. Also I gauge the success of the night before by how long energetic I am through the next day. Leaks in themselves do not tell the whole story unless they are off the scale.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

lots-o-coffee

No weather predictions were given, but told me to wish for a brand-new APAP machine for Christmas.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2018, 06:05 PM)Lowhypopnea Wrote:

lots-o-coffee

No weather predictions were given, but told me to wish for a brand-new APAP machine for Christmas.

A Coffee raised that the wish you have becomes your reality soon.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any leak is bad for me and my AFIB condition. Even small leaks for just around an hour, can cause issues.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
I found leaks, even ones that don't show up in the data, to be a real pain in my backside when it comes to the AHI number.  I used to use a F&P Simplus for the first couple of months.  I have broken my nose in the past and the thing would never sit straight on the bridge of my nose, causing issues with air shooting through and into my eyes.  I tried many different solutions, but eventually went back to trying my Dreamwear FFM.  The AHI numbers were drastically better.

The night I got fed up, I had a AHI in the 40s.  In fact, I had entire weeks 20+.  I switched to the Dreamwear and I rarely get into double digits anymore.  Everyone has an occasional bad night, but my numbers are much better without a mask I was constantly fighting.  Also helps that the Dreamwear FFM suits me better for traveling since it's a smaller design and doesn't require as much cumbersome plastic framing like the Simplus.

--j
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 140 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 108 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 502 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.