Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaks while Side Sleeping
Leaks while Side Sleeping
A recurring problem I have with masks is my pillow or mattress pushing against it, resulting in a leak. The obvious solution would be to tighten the straps, but I find myself needing to tighten them as much as possible to make them leak-proof, and I'm afraid it's to the extent that it might be pulling my jaw back. I've had much less success with nasal pillows, as the straps pull my nasal pillows out of place when the side of my face rubs against my pillow or mattress. With both mask types I've tried all the different sizes already. 

Is there any solution to this besides one of those side sleeper pillows designed for pap users? I'm going to try one of those nasal masks that go over the nose to see if that makes a difference, as I can tighten them as much as I'd like without impacting the airway. Its smaller design, relative to full face masks, might also give my head more room to rotate without making contact with whatever my head is resting against.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaks while Side Sleeping
Side sleeping can be a bit tricky regardless of mask type.

What I've found to work the best is to sleep with your head at the end of your pillow so that the mask hangs off the side of the pillow.

We Cpap users have to find a way to adapt to sleeping a little differently than what we're used to. I often sleep on my side with my head tilting slightly up toward the ceiling which seems to work well for me.

Over tightening you mask could cause leaks and be uncomfortable.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started using a Pillow Cube (spendy little bugger) and successfully sleep on my side with Bleep DreamPorts (can sleep in any position with those…even on my stomach), Evora nasal and N30i because my head placement is as mentioned above by Opal Rose.
Post Reply Post Reply
N20 user here.  It was tough at first, but I persisted and taught myself to sleep on either side.  TMMV (it's Thy Method May Vary...  Big Grin), but I don't particularly enjoy my arm sleeping as much as I'm trying to, so I bend my arms, bend my wrists, and place either hand on the opposite side of my jaws. Both elbows are in front of my chest, so there's less chance of lying on the arm and cutting off its circulation. This may sound odd, but the arm under my jaw supports my jaw and keeps me from explosive cheempunk cheeks just as I am sinking into blissful sleep.

I don't think anybody using PAP therapy with a mask of any kind should have the straps reefed pretty much as tightly as they'll go without cutting of circulation themselves, or forcing the lower mandible back and stretching ligaments.  Can you say TMJ?  My mask is quite loose.  I can almost lift it clear of my rather large proboscis with the stretching the strapping allows.  You will probably have taken much/all of the stretch out of yours if you have them as tight as I think you do.

The point is, we all leak.  If it interferes with either your sleep or your successful treatment, then it's too much.  If you know the numbers each morning are good, then maybe you need to tweak something so that it doesn't annoy you....or get a new/nuther mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a nasal mask and also sleep on my side. My method is with my pillow and similar to OpalRose.
I use a foam pillow with the chunks you can add or remove. I keep it loose and bunch it up under my cheek and hang my mask over the end.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose is right on. Sleep with your head on the end of the pillow, so that the nose hangs off the end. Also AFAIK having the straps too tight is a common problem causing leaks because the silicone seal gets deformed by the straps being so tight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 281 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 405 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.