Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaks with Brevida pillow mask
Leaks with Brevida pillow mask
Firstly, a short history of masks I have been using.

ResMed N20–liked the mask and few leaks

ResMed P10-too many leaks and had adjustment issues

ResMed N30i—like the mask; liked overhead hose; mask fit. Some leaks

Brevida nasal pillows size M-L. Love the fit.  Love the diffuser.  Having been using for 1 week and have tried both pillow sizes with M-L fitting best.  AHI under 5.  Leaks don’t wake me up during the night but have run between 20 L/min to 32 L/m.  I find that the pillows fit well into my nostrils and appear to seal well.  No air escaping into eyes or face that I can tell.  I have noticed that when I take the mask off in the morning, I literally have to pull (slightly) to get them to release from nostrils.  I also have found that the insides of my nostrils are tender and slightly sore—not agonizing pain—but a tenderness issue.

I have played with the velcro straps—from overly tight to fairly loose but still with a good seal.  Leak rate did not really change.Primarily a back sleeper but do turn to side during the night.  I use a climate line heated hose and find that the weight of the heated hose pulls on the mask hose requiring pulling more total hose under the covers in order to eliminate the weight pulling on the mask.

I so want to like the Brevida and wonder if anyone might have some suggestions

As always thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaks with Brevida pillow mask
For the nostril tenderness, try a little dab of Lansinoh 30 to 60 minutes before bedtime.

[Image: lansinoh-lanolin-box.jpg]

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid225181

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid240914

For the hose tugging, try a hose caddy, for example something like this:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ose-Holder
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I looked at all of your links and got some ideas to try.  

I really like the Brevida and if I can conquer the nose tenderness and lessen the leaks, I’ll be a happy camper.

Thanks, again.
Post Reply Post Reply
How do you know it's at an unacceptable leak rate? I believe every mask has a given leak rate, in order for us to not re-breathe our own air.

For me, although I've tried several times, I cannot get past the ultra-pain from the Brevida. My nostrils feel as if they lose a layer of skin whenever I remove the mask. (I know they don't lose the layer of skin. It just feels that way.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Manufacturer recommendations

F&P advises to place mask gently under nostrils, turn on the device to allow mask to inflate, then place straps on the head, followed by adjusting as necessary to ensure there are no air leaks coming from nostrils. If straps are placed prior to mask inflation, this will lead to excessive leakage and over-tightening.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hava the brevida mask, there seems to be air escaping at the part where it connects with the tube, the swivel part. it gives a bit of air, is that normal?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 290 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 158 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 141 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 162 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 109 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,874 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.