Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaks with Nasal Pillows causing Central Events
Leaks with Nasal Pillows causing Central Events
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3805805/

I finally found a study listed above which identifies that leaks cause Central Events, particularly with nasal masks.
I'm using Brevida nasal pillows, Ruby chinstrap and Dreamstation.
My AHI is all over the map, but lately I am getting it down to around 5.
Most are Clear Airway events.
My doctor is useless in helping.
It does seem from Sleepyhead that my AHI is directly correlated with Leak Rate.
I am thinking of trying the new Dreamwear full face mask.
Does this one seal well?
Any input on finding something to prevent leaks?

Thanks,

Joe
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaks with Nasal Pillows causing Central Events
(04-19-2018, 09:55 AM)J Duffy Wrote: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3805805/

I finally found a study listed above which identifies that leaks cause Central Events, particularly with nasal masks.
Does this one seal well?

That is a very interesting study, and I need to read it a couple of more times to fully understand it. I've bookmarked it. I think what it is basically saying is that leaks purge your nasal and mouth passages, and increase the portion of oxygen compared to CO2. This higher level of oxygen may upset the automatic control of breathing and cause a central event... Interesting theory.

I have issues with central apnea which increased significantly from the sleep study value (0.4) to the current 1-1.5 range. And on certain nights it can be even worse. Can you post some SleepyHead daily screen shots of examples where you think leakage has produced central events? I virtually never see any kind of event during a major leak gray section of the chart, but often there is a bit of a cluster of events which follow it. Have you seen similar?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2018, 10:33 AM)Ron AKA Wrote:
(04-19-2018, 09:55 AM)J Duffy Wrote: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3805805/

Does this one seal well?

That is a very interesting study, and I need to read it a couple of more times to fully understand it. I've bookmarked it. I think what it is basically saying is that leaks purge your nasal and mouth passages, and increase the portion of oxygen compared to CO2. This higher level of oxygen may upset the automatic control of breathing and cause a central event... Interesting theory.

I have issues with central apnea which increased significantly from the sleep study value (0.4) to the current 1-1.5 range. And on certain nights it can be even worse. Can you post some SleepyHead daily screen shots of examples where you think leakage has produced central events? I virtually never see any kind of event during a major leak gray section of the chart, but often there is a bit of a cluster of events which follow it. Have you seen similar?

I have to admit that I haven't really analyzed the data that closely!
It just seemed that my AHI was lower overall on days with lower leak data.
Although, I was just reviewing specifically low AHI days over the last 6 months,
and to be honest it seems kind of random whether the leak rates are low on those days.
Mostly, I am interested in masks, etc., that seal best!
Post Reply Post Reply
The ResMed F20 Airtouch FFM works well for me and a lot of others.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2018, 01:03 PM)mhehe Wrote: The ResMed F20 Airtouch FFM works well for me and a lot of others.

Thanks for the tip!  That is what I'm looking for... does anyone have experience with trying to find a mask without leaks?  Also, any leak reports for the new Dreamwear FFM?

Thanks,

Joe
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2018, 01:03 PM)mhehe Wrote: The ResMed F20 Airtouch FFM works well for me and a lot of others.

You profile looks like you have been around the block a few times with masks. How has the durability of the AirTouch memory foam cushion been? ResMed's recommendation to replace it monthly at a cost up here in Canada of $60 a pop has scared me off. I no longer have insurance, so have to pay for it all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed came out and changed the replacement recommendation to every 2 months for the Air touch.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Ron, I have used the F20 Airtouch and found it be be very comfortable but like you I was put off by the need to replace it every month at $60.00 a shot. I found the F29 Airfit (that uses exactly the same headgear) to be much better. This one does not use foam but silicone. It seals quite well for me and best of all is very durable. I expect the cushion to last 6 months or longer for me. I am diligent in cleaning the cushion every morning with soap and water. The beauty about the F20 is the ease of putting it on with the magnetic clasps. In addition, it has fewer parts to dis-assemble and clean than the others. I have tried at least 6 different FFM and 4-5 nasal pillow masks and 2 nasal masks. I pay for all the masks out of pocket as the DME supplier tried to force me to buy 3-4 times as many supplies than I needed and in the long run financially and peace of mind wise I am better of purchasing the supplies myself. I have bought supplies from Amazon, ebay as well cpap equipment suppliers. I am lucky that my insurance finally agreed to pay 80 % of the cost of my Aircurve 10 ASV machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both F20 AirFit and AirTouch cushions using the same frame and headgear. AirTouch memory foam is more comfortable but for me leaks more. The silicone gets better in comfort and sealing after some use. I'm on the same silicone cushion I was given last August. I maybe wash parts weekly.

I'd like to try the Dreamwear FFM in the near future, not due to dissatisfaction, but just to try it.

I'd like to rename my ResMed mask to F18.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2018, 02:23 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'd like to rename my ResMed mask to F18.

Coffee

Too-funny You would press the wrong button.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 29 50 minutes ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 62 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 6 165 03-15-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 121 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 131 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 145 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 11,478 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.