Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaks with Nasal Pillows causing Central Events
RE: Leaks with Nasal Pillows causing Central Events
(04-19-2018, 02:32 PM)Sleep2Snore Wrote:
(04-19-2018, 02:23 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'd like to rename my ResMed mask to F18.

Coffee

Too-funny You would press the wrong button.

Like the ejector bed button? Oopsie! Laugh-a-lot
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2018, 02:23 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'd like to rename my ResMed mask to F18.

Actually I like the F15 much better than the F18...
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2018, 01:59 PM)mhehe Wrote: Ron, I have used the F20 Airtouch and found it be be very comfortable but like you I was put off by the need to replace it every month at $60.00 a shot. I found the F29 Airfit (that uses exactly the same headgear) to be much better. This one does not use foam but silicone. It seals quite well for me and best of all is very durable. I expect the cushion to last 6 months or longer for me. 

I tried the Mirage Quattro and it was a real no go for me. It felt like one of those half inflated Tom Brady footballs rolling around on the front of my face. I was thinking of going for the F20 AirTouch next if I can't make the P10 work for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2018, 01:19 PM)J Duffy Wrote: .. does anyone have experience with trying to find a mask without leaks?
You would probably have trouble finding anyone who hasn't. I have tried 5 or 6 at least. The Airfit F20 is by far the best; no significant leaks and the most comfortable mask I have used. I'm very pleased with the durability. I have used the same mask and cushion for 14 months with no sign of deterioration. I have not tried the Airtouch. From what I have read here the silicone Airfit cushion seems the better choice.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
You'll get almost as many opinions as there are members. Really the best thing is just to try whatever mask you are interested in and have the means to do so. You'll know relatively quickly whether it works for you or not. Mitigating leaks is a unique thing to each individual. Indeed, what works for me may or may not work for you.

All the best to you in your search!
Post Reply Post Reply
I see a very direct correlation. Not all leaks produce centrals and not all centrals have leaks. But the vast majority of centrals have leaks associated with them. See attached pic for a clear example. I have not been able to get any advice but at least your article now supports what I have observed for years.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It would really help to see the rest of the charts like pressure and flow to compare. Just showing leaks and events doesn't really prove any cause or effect.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 
Does this help? Sorry I am new to all this data evaluation stuff.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2018, 09:55 AM)J Duffy Wrote: I am thinking of trying the new Dreamwear full face mask.
Does this one seal well?

I own this mask and while I am not a huge FFM fan (much prefer the Dreamwear nasal cushion for general fit/feel), the mask is generally comfortable. I switched to a smaller size (M) and got a better seal. I have to pull the headgear fairly tight to get a good seal which is why I prefer the nasal. Overall I like the Dreamwear concept and unlike some others I have no issue with the sound, nor do I experience airflow issues when rolling on my side (system is designed to accommodate that).
Post Reply Post Reply
Last month after several years, I started to use xPAP again and I've experienced exactly the same thing as you - a direct correlation between leaks and central apneas. In fact, it may be just coincidence but some of my obstructive apneas seem to happen around leaks too. I'm still in tweaking phase with the whole thing but I'm getting good results so far.

I use the Dreamwear mask which works really well for me. I started off with the medium mask which was pretty good and then moved on to the small size mask which was even better. With the Dreamwear I can comfortably sleep in any position with no mask leaks whatsover - it's super comfortableand and I dont even have to put it on tighlty!

The leaks which were causing me problems and increasing my CA's were all mouth leaks. A couple of days ago I purchased 5cm 3M Blenderm tape which so far seem to have done the trick. Zero leaks with last nights AHI at 0.1.

Happy days!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 0 25 1 hour ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 60 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 6 165 03-15-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 121 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 131 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 145 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 11,478 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.