Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Leaks with Swift FX nasal pillow
Leaks with Swift FX nasal pillow
It seems that my primary problem with getting effective therapy is leaks with my Swift FX nasal pillow. I use a S9 Autoset (min pressure = 6; max= 15; AHI = 1.9 [0.5 when I sleep at 5000-7500 feet?]; actual max seldom exceeds 9). However, mask leaks wake me several times each night. I've started trying a bit of lanolin in the nostrils and that helps to some extent. I've also seen suggestions for using kids silicone earplugs to form a nasal gasket and also a suggestion for using diver's mask seal. I really like the nasal pillow except for the leaks. Any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leaks with Swift FX nasal pillow
Two questions - is the pillow too small or large? second is is the strap correctly adjust to hold the mask in the correct position? Too tight will cause as many leaks as too loose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am currently using a medium pillow but plan to try a large. In so far as I can determine, the straps are adjusted properly. For most of the night, the leaks are close to zero. But several times each night they will jump up into the 18-27 range (I'm using a ResMed S9 Autoset). After those jumps I usually wake up - I know correlation is causation, but I suspect that my waking may be caused by the leaks. I've been on the CPAP for a little over a month now and except for this issue, things are going well.
(06-15-2013, 06:48 PM)SleepRunner Wrote: I am currently using a medium pillow but plan to try a large. In so far as I can determine, the straps are adjusted properly. For most of the night, the leaks are close to zero. But several times each night they will jump up into the 18-27 range (I'm using a ResMed S9 Autoset). After those jumps I usually wake up - I know correlation is causation, but I suspect that my waking may be caused by the leaks. I've been on the CPAP for a little over a month now and except for this issue, things are going well.

I meant, of course, that correlation is NOT causation. Thanks for the reply. It is great to have someone to bounce questions off of.
Post Reply Post Reply
Large may do the trick. I recently moved to Large after I noticed the Medium pillows were sort of slipping higher into the nose late at night, causing leakages by creating openings where material buckled. I still get the odd leak now, usually because I shift around at night and the pillows are pulled out of position.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also check your hose routing as it can cause pulling or tugging on the nose pillow. I try and arrange it so the hose has a small U shape under my chin This way if I roll over I'm only moving a small amount of hose and not pulling against the whole length of the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hang my hose with enough slack to not pull as I toss and turn (which I do).
Post Reply Post Reply
I took both nasal pillows and a Wisp mask to my titration study last night (after 2 months on APAP). I started with the nasal pillows, since I prefer them. Halfway through the night the technologist woke me up to have me change to the Wisp mask. In the morning he said that my leaks were much lower with the Wisp and that I had far fewer arousals. He said that he is does not recommend nasal pillows for anyone as they tend to leak, and this leak is not necessarily picked up by your APAP machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine works best if it's really loose.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
My personal experience with the pillows is that they are one shape. There are a thousand different nostril shapes! You have to be lucky to get a good comfortable fit. Mmaybebtrybthevsame FX in the same FX mask, nasal, not pillows. That mask is one of the best
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepRunner

I am currently using the Swift FX Nano, but previously used the Swift FX, which both use the same headgear assembly. Since fixing the leakage issue with my new Nano mask, I have also tried the trick on the Swift FX, and also got a much better seal & AHI with the lose mask fit, compared to using the standard velcro straps.
Here is my solution from another post:
Improving Swift & Nano FX Headgear

gjw
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 278 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 155 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 226 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 133 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 158 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 315 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 106 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.